Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Survive... for what?
1,412 Posts
Duct tape, plastic sheeting, particulate masks, flashlights, batteries, hand tools, lumber, geeze there are all sorts of awesome things you can buy!

Personally I would use it for a panic room/storm shelter in the basement which could double as a gun safe. $500 would buy a heck of a lota cinderblocks.

·
Prepared Gourmet
2,964 Posts
Lexan/polycarbonate panels.

Lumber.

Cement. Cinder blocks. Mortar. Firebricks.

.. but .. I don't have a $500 gift card there. :) However, I bought 12 new windows there today, which cost considerably more. I am prepping both for SHTF and S NOT HTF. :)

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Can I have a Lowe's card instead ?? Last month I bought a hot water tank, deck stain, and indoor outdoor carpeting, all totalled about $500.00. I bought the hot water tank because my old one was starting to leak, and I wanted to have hot water for showers. The deck stain was to lighten up my deck as it was stained real dark and it absobed the heat from the sun, and it was near impossible to enjoy it. Much better now. The carpeting was to protect the deck stain from foot traffic, and because it looked nice. So I'll have a nice place to hang out at this summer.

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
I like to shop at Home Depot and $500 it would be hard to stay under that:D:
But at the same time you could get some nice stuff for that amount. Just take a few lookabouts at Home Depot and browse, they do have clearance stuff there also , it usually is on carts in a aisle in the back off the store.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
check what kind of selection of fruit trees and berry bushes they have that way you can establish a renewable source of food.
I would also recomend maby some of those beastly shelving units they sell there that are like 6ft tall and 7 wide and hold 2000lbs per shelf.
hand tools shovels machettes hatchets axes saws ect.....
painters plactic the thick kind for green houses or making a nbc room.
thats all off the top of my head the list can go on and on and on.................

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I would invest in the little things as mentioned by BlueHarvest76 - but I would look at more handtools and accessories, wood and metal saws (hacksaws and lots of extra blades, all different blade styles, small packable gardening saws, tons of different types of fastening devices (screws, bolts, hook eyes, etc.), rope (different sizes and manufacture), any rope supplies they may have, hand drills (bit & brace, yankee drill, and bits for all of them), utility knives and spare blades, tarps of different sizes, and possibly some construction supplies (wood, tar paper, etc.)

·
Registered
522 Posts
If they have one.....buy a dehydrator oven.Learn how to dehydrate and dry vegtables and fruits,also make jerky.You CANT have too much food on hand,preferably non-perishable stored in qt jars with oxy absorbers.
Buy lots of qt. jars,they last darn near forever,just replace the lids as needed.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
If they have one.....buy a dehydrator oven.Learn how to dehydrate and dry vegtables and fruits,also make jerky.You CANT have too much food on hand,preferably non-perishable stored in qt jars with oxy absorbers.
Buy lots of qt. jars,they last darn near forever,just replace the lids as needed.
I dont think homedepo sells mason jars... dehydrator/ smoker maby in the grill section but prol not

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.