Survivalist Forum banner

Are members who've make thousands of posts in under a year are real survivalist?

• Yes, they just focus most of their free time on here.

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • No, just internet junkies with nothing else better to do.

Votes: 103 73.0%
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
EdgeCrusher
902 Posts
If only there was a means available that I could post to a forum while not at my desk. If only we had the technology to access Web based public forums using our phones.

In all seriousness, I cannot count the times I'll start a thread or post a reply on the fly using the Tapatalk or Outdoor Hub apps. Heck, for all anyone knows...I can be posting while tilling my 800 acres while tending to my chickens carrying not only my INCH...but two BOBs and at the same time sealing some mylar bags.

Aaaaaaaaand, sarcasm is done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't vote. It's not up to me to decide who's a real survivalist and who isn't. What defines a real survivalist? Is that the person who has put the last of their preps away? If so, few of us are, even if we've been at this for years. What about the dedicated newcomer who hasn't gotten very far? Isn't he a real survivalist too, even though he hasn't been at is as long?

Since your post is aimed at frequent posters like me, I'll give my side. Not everyone has as busy of life as you do. I do gun shows for a living, which, even when the economy was good and I was doing frequent shows, still left me a lot of time every week to post. But the economy took a dump on the shows just about a year back, leaving me even more free time since out of town shows don't make me any money now. I had lurked this board for years, but I didn't sign up until I actually had the free time to post here.

It sounds more like you're equating a "real survivalist" with an outdoorsman. Not everyone is, and I don't see that as a requisite to being a real survivalist. I also used to spend a lot of time camping and hunting. But since I live in the desert, that means travel, and travel is expensive. As I mentioned above, I'm out of work. I hike and camp my bug out paths regularly, and refresh the caches I have along the way. I just refreshed an out of town cache 2 weeks ago when I tried (and failed again!) an out of town show.

Another reason I'm not out as much is my mother passed away a few months ago, dumping a retirement home for the elderly in my lap. She always used to say she could never get out of town without something going wrong at that place. I have come to understand what she means. Every time I go anywhere, even if it's just to spend the weekend at our local gun show, something happens that the employees can't (or won't!) deal with on their own.

As for the city, I grew up here. I know shortcuts that very few others know about. I grew up hiking and dirt biking in the mountains and desert (before the army closed it off), so I know my way around there too. The least contact I have with the morons who infest this city, the better chance they have of surviving until tomorrow. So yeah, I won't be getting out among them unless I have no other choice.

I guess what I'm saying is to remember that everyone's lives are different from yours. Just because they don't fit into a mold that you thought up, doesn't mean that they're a fraud. We used to have MtnManMike posting here all the time, and I'd bet he's closer to a "real survivalist" than most of us here.
You make good sense!

·
Midwest Born
825 Posts
Im a prepper. I view prepping as a spectrum. On one end is the guy or gal, who has little knowledge, but is aware something needs to be done. On the other end is the guy who has 3 years of supplies, a couple BOL, a MAG or group and a couple decades of experience. as long as you are actively prepping and learning, you are on the spectrum. I started with a couple cases of MRES and a few cases of water. 2 decades later, i have 6 plus months of supplies, have 2 BOL, a family based group, have learned a lot but know I will never be done prepping and i have so much more to learn.

i am as much a prepper now as i was 2 decades ago..its a process or a journey, not a destination.

are their folks who just like to pretend? sure. are there new members who may have been at this for a long time or have experience to share? sure.

·
Registered
12,499 Posts
Are you fearful of people visiting this site that are not truely preppers?
I bet there are a few may be even some that are government watchdogs, ya , how about that?
One shoud not write any thing that they can't say on facebook or any other community chat for that matter.
Do you know the phrase , "any thing you say can be used against you in a court of law?"
Libbers and tree huggers and animal rights groups are alway looking for an excuse to find accusation so they can further their cause.
It is fine to know that you are talking among friends, but know that your enemies are reading too.
I am sure that there are those that are simply currious having seen some reality show of people that are a little cookey but that is the movie industry looking to down play the importance of prepping, the extreemism of show.
Most preppers I know are fine mature intelligent people, well except the guy in the mirror.

·
What would Mal do
4,570 Posts
don't know that I consider myself a survivalist...no desire to live in the Mad Max post "pockyclypse" days.

but grew up my first 12 years as a mountain kid up north..all my elders always had a kerosene heater and canned food lining the basement walls...power could be iffy and I learned by watching them.

moved to the other side of the family down on the southeast coast.
which meant hurricane preps. Lived through a number of those and learned.

when I became a man, husband, dad...responsible for my own home, one of my first spends was a kerosene heater. I think that unit is now 40 years old..and still in the original carboard box(LOL)..good grief..but it was a symbol for me.

i have watched time and again folks rush to the store for water, milk, batteries, etc at the last minute..despite weather warnings of hurricane or ice storm, etc.

with each passing major storm, or human catastrophe, I increased my preps.

that includes my knowledge and skills..medical, mechanical, etc

am I a wannabee?... I'm a student of this stuff...ever learning.

do I intend to survive year 2020's covid19...have so far...when shelves were bare of meats and paper products...we were more than fine here at the house.. life went on as normal...that's my goal...be able to hunker down through the normal short term storms.
if it gets worse than that...well, I guess I'll find out then if I'm a survivalist.

in the meantime, this is one of my few outlets to enjoy discussing things and learning..thanks to all my teachers here.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,159 Posts
I HAD the advantage of having a more unique outdoor childhood than most so I can get by in the woods and wilds fairly well.

I have spent a large part of my life on the sharp end of the spear and have shed and seen shed my fair share of blood and misery, while still upright and breathing.

I have had a place up north in Northern Michigan where I have been over 40 years, with blizzards and storms and loss of power for long periods of time so I have had to be prepared to deal with those issues along with raising and taking care of the family.
and
I have never really considered myself either a prepper or a survivalist as some here define it.
Just someone who tries to predict what is the worst that can happen in the course of events and to prepare to meet it as comfortably as possible.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
Well I’m surviving. So ...

Seriously I’m a Prepper and kind of a survivalist. I’m prolly not the best prepared guy in this group. And my woods skills are nowhere near what some here have. But I was a boy scout.

That said I have food , water , supplies , guns , ammo a generator etc.

No BOL yet , but that’s coming.

Can I just relax and ride out a plague or nuclear war , no.

Am I way ahead of 99% of the people if the SHTF ? Yes. !

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Nice to see an old string come back to life. Now what have we learned in the last 10 years? People are still freezing grain to kill bugs. pinto beans still don't keep. Zeke does not like my oven canning grains. And one is not a true prepper unless they have an AR 15. In reality, have we had an issue? We have been snowed in for a week without power. the Virus has kept us home for 8 weeks. The obama years took a tole on our ammo and reloading supplies. did we stock extra supplies in All areas? I bought an extra box of pimers when they became available. I did not purchase an AR but did pick up a 22-250 bolt action. Time to take a look at the prior posts and look at our current situation. Remember, we are here to learn and share knowledge. We do not need to agree but, we need to learn.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Honest what most people call survivalist is not what I am about. Survivalist like the TV?? no way. Yet when the disasters hit the fan, I am not one to run around screaming this is not happening. Been in diasaters as people have said, it is not about what you have, but what you know.

Being ready means zero debt, able to live without electric, able to live without much food, knowing how to light fire without a match or lighter, camping skills, knowing how to protect one self, safety and security, how care for major wounds and broken bones with no one around, if a natural disaster hits having the equipment I need to have shelter, water, food. Education on all things that have to do with a disaster, during, and after. This takes time, major time.

When a hurricane hits...I am not out with gun hunting, nor in underground flooded bunker. When the pandemic hit I have the information, history, science, and the good mask that work for hot zone, food to eat when the groceries stores get clean out which always happens when any kind of disaster is coming or happen. You wont see me yelling about no food and toilet paper. Waste of energy to be complaining when there is tons of things you need to be doing for what ever is happening. Most all means to know how to live if the grid goes down.

The only thing I am not ready for is a nuke attack....need more information. People who care about themselves and others learn the basic skills and learn in depth what can happen and how in any situation. I get my information from real disasters, from my own disasters, ...going to real disasters and being a part of the community to help others. People helping people to go to the next step and the next.

Coming on here talking about how much toilet paper I have is a laugh. I do agree few people are not on here for solutions, what is the next steps, what happens if and when the ecomony takes a crap next year.....talking about the government and the president does not help me take care of myself and family, that is my job and I know from major disasters like Cat 5 hurricanes ....they are not going to be there, other then a pat on the back. I believe real surival comes from me, myself and I.

I do post alot at times when I am down like when the log fell on my leg...that I will sit on the computer. Pandemic locked in a secondlock down right now, I will write more then when I am doing major projects.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am a noob here, lurked for a long time, reading and learning...but I think there is a difference between the mainstream understanding of a survivalist and a "prepper". I think (just my opinion) that a survivalist is someone who can live off the land with what he has around him like Les Stroud, more about using what you find around you and less about preparation and storage.

Where as a prepper (again just my opinion) is someone who is planning for surviving a catastrophic event by planning and storing appropriate foods, tools etc. the two are totally different. I think many preppers could not "live off the land" at least not for long.

Personally I see a lot of preppers and probably some prepper wannabes here, but it is a good place to learn about surviving , not necessarily survivalist (mainstream definition) skills.
The typical, so called "survivalist on these boards cannot live off the land but many of them are very gunned and in a shtf situation the preppers would be wise to be wary of them. Most survivalists consider themselves alpha males and in a desperate situation would be mentally able to justifiy taking from those they consider weak or of a different belief system. Any excuse would do.

·
Super Moderator
2,715 Posts
The typical, so called "survivalist on these boards cannot live off the land but many of them are very gunned and in a shtf situation the preppers would be wise to be wary of them. Most survivalists consider themselves alpha males and in a desperate situation would be mentally able to justifiy taking from those they consider weak or of a different belief system. Any excuse would do.
Responding to a 10 year old post by a person that hasn't been here in 3 years...

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
thought for the day: Air purifier. Here in California the air is full of smoke, so bad it gives you a head ache. I'm sure my lungs look like a life long smoker. I dug out an old unit with a dirty pad. How many of us thought of filthy air for a long period? I'm sure the market has been hit hard here on the left coast. I'll upgrade after this is over. If newsom stays in office we will have big fires next year. I'm willing to bet Portland has some nasty air there. My wife has asthma so breathing is important to her:)

·
Registered
15,931 Posts
thought for the day: Air purifier. Here in California the air is full of smoke, so bad it gives you a head ache. I'm sure my lungs look like a life long smoker. I dug out an old unit with a dirty pad. How many of us thought of filthy air for a long period? I'm sure the market has been hit hard here on the left coast. I'll upgrade after this is over. If newsom stays in office we will have big fires next year. I'm willing to bet Portland has some nasty air there. My wife has asthma so breathing is important to her:)
I have been using a small Honeywell and it has been doing good. Have an extra filter for it but need to get more, my wife does all the ordering at the local hardware store so she is working on that one.

Before the Saddle Fire we had a very large Honeywell floor standing model which really rocked but can't seem to get that model anymore.

I have congestive heart failure and lung issues so a air purifier is a good thing.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts