Survivalist Forum banner

Are members who've make thousands of posts in under a year are real survivalist?

• Yes, they just focus most of their free time on here.

Votes: 38 27.0%
  • No, just internet junkies with nothing else better to do.

Votes: 103 73.0%
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed since I've been on here for over a year that many members on here don't seem like they're real survivalists. They just seem to get on here and make post after post. I don't see how anyone has that kind of time. I didn't even have that kind of time when I was laid off work. I was always out fishing, hiking, and getting out. Yet many people on here seem to advocate survivalism but don't practice it. If they did they wouldn't accumulate thousands of posts within a 6 month time frame. I can understand if a person is disabled and can't get out much. For those who aren't disabled I see little excuse to constantly be on something that can be easily disconnected by power or press of the button. Even if I lived in a high rise building in the middle of the city I would get out with a map of the city and find shortcuts and routes that would lead me out of the city with the least amount contact with main roadways while on foot. There are no excuses for those who are able, to get out, plan, and get prepared.

·
Super Moderator
66,003 Posts
I didn't vote. It's not up to me to decide who's a real survivalist and who isn't. What defines a real survivalist? Is that the person who has put the last of their preps away? If so, few of us are, even if we've been at this for years. What about the dedicated newcomer who hasn't gotten very far? Isn't he a real survivalist too, even though he hasn't been at is as long?

Since your post is aimed at frequent posters like me, I'll give my side. Not everyone has as busy of life as you do. I do gun shows for a living, which, even when the economy was good and I was doing frequent shows, still left me a lot of time every week to post. But the economy took a dump on the shows just about a year back, leaving me even more free time since out of town shows don't make me any money now. I had lurked this board for years, but I didn't sign up until I actually had the free time to post here.

It sounds more like you're equating a "real survivalist" with an outdoorsman. Not everyone is, and I don't see that as a requisite to being a real survivalist. I also used to spend a lot of time camping and hunting. But since I live in the desert, that means travel, and travel is expensive. As I mentioned above, I'm out of work. I hike and camp my bug out paths regularly, and refresh the caches I have along the way. I just refreshed an out of town cache 2 weeks ago when I tried (and failed again!) an out of town show.

Another reason I'm not out as much is my mother passed away a few months ago, dumping a retirement home for the elderly in my lap. She always used to say she could never get out of town without something going wrong at that place. I have come to understand what she means. Every time I go anywhere, even if it's just to spend the weekend at our local gun show, something happens that the employees can't (or won't!) deal with on their own.

As for the city, I grew up here. I know shortcuts that very few others know about. I grew up hiking and dirt biking in the mountains and desert (before the army closed it off), so I know my way around there too. The least contact I have with the morons who infest this city, the better chance they have of surviving until tomorrow. So yeah, I won't be getting out among them unless I have no other choice.

I guess what I'm saying is to remember that everyone's lives are different from yours. Just because they don't fit into a mold that you thought up, doesn't mean that they're a fraud. We used to have MtnManMike posting here all the time, and I'd bet he's closer to a "real survivalist" than most of us here.

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I didn't vote. It's not up to me to decide who's a real survivalist and who isn't. What defines a real survivalist? Is that the person who has put the last of their preps away? If so, few of us are, even if we've been at this for years. What about the dedicated newcomer who hasn't gotten very far? Isn't he a real survivalist too, even though he hasn't been at is as long?

Since your post is aimed at frequent posters like me, I'll give my side. Not everyone has as busy of life as you do. I do gun shows for a living, which, even when the economy was good and I was doing frequent shows, still left me a lot of time every week to post. But the economy took a dump on the shows just about a year back, leaving me even more free time since out of town shows don't make me any money now. I had lurked this board for years, but I didn't sign up until I actually had the free time to post here.

It sounds more like you're equating a "real survivalist" with an outdoorsman. Not everyone is, and I don't see that as a requisite to being a real survivalist. I also used to spend a lot of time camping and hunting. But since I live in the desert, that means travel, and travel is expensive. As I mentioned above, I'm out of work. I hike and camp my bug out paths regularly, and refresh the caches I have along the way. I just refreshed an out of town cache 2 weeks ago when I tried (and failed again!) an out of town show.

Another reason I'm not out as much is my mother passed away a few months ago, dumping a retirement home for the elderly in my lap. She always used to say she could never get out of town without something going wrong at that place. I have come to understand what she means. Every time I go anywhere, even if it's just to spend the weekend at our local gun show, something happens that the employees can't (or won't!) deal with on their own.

As for the city, I grew up here. I know shortcuts that very few others know about. I grew up hiking and dirt biking in the mountains and desert (before the army closed it off), so I know my way around there too. The least contact I have with the morons who infest this city, the better chance they have of surviving until tomorrow. So yeah, I won't be getting out among them unless I have no other choice.

I guess what I'm saying is to remember that everyone's lives are different from yours. Just because they don't fit into a mold that you thought up, doesn't mean that they're a fraud. We used to have MtnManMike posting here all the time, and I'd bet he's closer to a "real survivalist" than most of us here.
I am by no means putting anyone down or judging them if that's what you're assuming. I know everyone is different. I'm just curious as to how people can put so much time online with this site and not get bored with it. Especially when you can get out just for a walk down the street. Now if you live in a bad neighborhood I can understand staying in all the time.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I didn't vote either. I am on the boards for about an hour each morning and each night, combined with doing internet searches for information about the economy,finance, preparedness issues,and a host of other things I want to learn about. I want to be aware of what is going on in the world and this forum is a great source of information. internet research is part of my preps! learning is my recreation and easily done at 4 am and 7 pm before and after work. I do not watch tv.I am out and about and work hard physical labor all day, and work at home after my job is finished for the day. because a person has a high number of posts does not mean they are an "armchair survivalist". maybe quite the contrary. where else can I make contact with others of like mind?
I have quite enough on my plate to worry about in "all my spare time" without having to justify myself to somebody who thinks i should live my life differently than I do. rant over (feeling crabby this morning)

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
I am a noob here, lurked for a long time, reading and learning...but I think there is a difference between the mainstream understanding of a survivalist and a "prepper". I think (just my opinion) that a survivalist is someone who can live off the land with what he has around him like Les Stroud, more about using what you find around you and less about preparation and storage.

Where as a prepper (again just my opinion) is someone who is planning for surviving a catastrophic event by planning and storing appropriate foods, tools etc. the two are totally different. I think many preppers could not "live off the land" at least not for long.

Personally I see a lot of preppers and probably some prepper wannabes here, but it is a good place to learn about surviving , not necessarily survivalist (mainstream definition) skills.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I voted, but I wish I didn't.

I think its a ****y poll, to insult people who have time to post on the internet. I know PaulAllen, you say that isn't your point, but then you turn around and further stereotype this group even more.

Personally, I have time to post thousands of posts, be in the woods, work two jobs, run a farm, raise a family, and meet social obligations. Every other week I might even have time to squeeze in a bath. ;)

The real question is, why some survivalists with few posts, think that makes them a better survivalist? Do we really think Standing in the woods like an idiot makes you a survivalist? If we are going to be judgmental, lets at least be fair. I think a real survivalist would be in his house by his laptop canning the foods he grew in his garden. I think a real survivalist would always be on here, looking for new things to try, and posting his results while waiting for his mason lids to pop.

·
I'm voting with my feet.
96 Posts
I can remember my first year here, and did loads of post. One needs to remember, how are you supposed to learn unless you ask questions.

Its the ones that sit and read but dont post that I worry about.
As a bookaholic yourself, you worry more about us that mostly read here than talk?

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I've noticed since I've been on here for over a year that many members on here don't seem like they're real survivalists. They just seem to get on here and make post after post. I don't see how anyone has that kind of time. I didn't even have that kind of time when I was laid off work. I was always out fishing, hiking, and getting out. Yet many people on here seem to advocate survivalism but don't practice it. If they did they wouldn't accumulate thousands of posts within a 6 month time frame. I can understand if a person is disabled and can't get out much. For those who aren't disabled I see little excuse to constantly be on something that can be easily disconnected by power or press of the button. Even if I lived in a high rise building in the middle of the city I would get out with a map of the city and find shortcuts and routes that would lead me out of the city with the least amount contact with main roadways while on foot. There are no excuses for those who are able, to get out, plan, and get prepared.

To be nice I will change this post.

IMHO, if you think running around hiking makes you a better survivalist, while your collecting a Government check on Unemployment, then I don't know where to begin.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
I work, fish, garden, feed the chickens and spend way to much time on here. When I grow up I wanna be a survivalist. Soon as I buy my sand-point well and some more rice I'll be a prepper. There are wanna-bees like me in every interest of life.
We are all works in progress. Being a survivalist is a state of mind, and more over, a work ethic.

You are a survivalist right now, not a wanna be.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I work, fish, garden, feed the chickens and spend way to much time on here. When I grow up I wanna be a survivalist. Soon as I buy my sand-point well and some more rice I'll be a prepper. There are wanna-bees like me in every interest of life.
I think this is really a good question as it gets everyone to voice their own oppinion and to see what each person sees as urviving. Although a bit offended.

While I could be out finishing the leveling of my sub grade for my garage slab, working in the garden, cutting shooting lanes, planting food plots, putting up fence, writing in my book, or a thousand other tasks I perform.

I however also do internet searches, keep up with my friends, shop online and frequent here for new subjects or to learn new tricks or trades. How much I do and when is determined by my surroundings and events along with my attitude at the time.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
You know who they are because they make useless zombie posts and other pointless questions. You also got the wannabe Rambo types who seem to think they can carry 10 guns on them and a BOB........ armchair preppers
I don't know anyone here like that.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Funny poll tbh................. I don't consider myself a "survivalist" but a "Prepper who enjoys bushcraft"
I post in the religious section because I enjoy some of the discussions that go on.
I post in the Darkside because it's funny watching liers squirm.

I rarely post although I read mainly the urban, knives, garden, wilderness and British section.

Does the fact I'll read or post in the evening while the wife is watching the telly mean I don't prep? Don't be silly!!

Some of us have been doing this along time so we have a little free time and don't have to go and plan routes and such because we already have them.

My question is: Why does it concern you? You'll either learn something from someone or you won't, if your doing it or have been you'll soon realise who's giving bum information.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
As a bookaholic yourself, you worry more about us that mostly read here than talk?
:) Thats because I talk even more then I read! Iv been a communicator since I was little and would always get told off for talking. I just cant help myself.

I go along with the adage its the quiet ones youv got to watch. Iv learnt to watch them and often get caught out doing it, - the wonders of observations skills. I cant help laughing at myself on a very regular basis.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts