Survivalist Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
even though I am new and a total lurker to these forums, I would be interested in meeting up,

I would love to meet up with other UK people from this website to chat and discuss their plans and survival methods.

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
Anything like this organised? or just forgotten about?

Think it would be good to pass on ideas...
Beards, hello.

Something was organized for last May but nobody came. Except my family. One other family was supposed to come but at the last minute was not able to (for legit. reasons). One young man would have liked to have come but had exams to study for (a v. good reason!).

I've heard from someone else that organizing things here in Britain is very hard. Lots of people will say they're interested but in the end no one is willing to commit or inconvenience themselves to travel, etc. His words, not mine.

The fact is, that to have a meetup, people have to be willing to sacrifice a weekend and some money.

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Beards, hello.

I've heard from someone else that organizing things here in Britain is very hard. Lots of people will say they're interested but in the end no one is willing to commit or inconvenience themselves to travel, etc. His words, not mine.

QUOTE]

That was probably me. I have organised and paid for quite a few rendezvous for survivalists with varying success. as I pointed out over on P2S they work moderately well up north, work slightly in the midlands but are a waste of time in the south especially the SE. I have spent in excess of £4K over the years organising RZs for "" Serious survivalists"" usually to be let down and dropped in it by people claiming to be pukka preppers.
12RZs on and the lessons are thus

Folks from the SE will make all sorts of promises about coming, but not turn up
Folks from the SW will turn up but wont travel north of Bristol
Folks from the East Midlands will go to huge lengths to attend often at great personal expence.
Folks from the West Midlands say they will come but usually fail to turn up ( Even when the Rv was only 18 miles from their home)
Folks from the north will go anywhere and can usually be relied on. at two RZs near Exter in the SW all who turned up were from north of Birmingham plus a few locals from Taunton.
The few Scots survivalists I've had the pleasure of meeting have driven from places like Cumbernauld and even Fort George to attend meets in the north east.
Survies and preppers from Ulster and Eire are also willing to make the effort with folks travelling from Limerick and Belfast to the English midlands.

For survivalists who claim to be prepared to bug out the UK is pretty **** poor and pathetic, The South east is the worst area but you find more Urban survivalists in that area who have loads of excuses as to why they can not relocate, they normally dont last long. The West Country folks take prep and the expence of it far more seriously but again they wont travel 90 miles to a meet so how do they expect to be able to survive if they fear driving past Briatol.
For younger survivalists who are not sure whether they are Bushcrafters or Disaster prep survivalists I believe that the Zombie Squad UK chapter meet up quite a bit in Birmingham city centre.

Usually if you find people asking for meets want to meet in a pub you know you are wasting your time, you want folks who E mail you and hassel you saying things like " Just set a date and time and a 6 fig GR and well be there". those are the rarest but most committed I've met.

Family groups will make the effort more than single under 25s
the Singles usually want to play Ray Mears clones and do bushcraft, those with wives and kids want to do serious survivalism.

To prove just how unreliable most of them are I'll tell you about my First RZ in the mid 90s. I asked who wanted to travel to a weekend long RZ at Oasis vilage in the Lake District. I was paying all the accomodation and food bills, I hired 4 x 4 bedroom luxury timber lodges on the word from the survivalists that they would turn up, just over £2K for the weekend it cost. All made 100% guarenteed promises they would turn up, then 1 by 1 they found excuses why they could not make it, plus a few from the SE ( where else) who said time after time they were coming but just did not turn up.

In the end it was me, 1 from Northumberland, Family from Wales, 1 from Preston, and 2 from Exeter who were relocating to Cumbria anyway.

Two things you must grasp and understand
(1) First find out if they are Survivalists or Bushcrafters, they are different beasts.
(2) Never believe a word they say until they are stood infront of you. Over 99% of " survivalists" on the Uk forums are Armchairs and Wannabes who talk the talk but never walk the walk.

I like the Yanks can do attitude, I met Merkins who DROVE over 1800 miles each way to attend an RX in Southern Colorado, others flew from Oregon. they are far more motivated and commited than us. with the best Merkin survivies appearing to come from CO/ OK/KS/NM areas.

Good luck with having a gathering , just make sure you attract the right group to the right event :upsidedown:

·
pseudo-conformist
831 Posts
Folks from the SW will turn up but wont travel north of Bristol
North of Bristol...Ooh, here there be dragons!!! :D:

I know what you mean though seriously, its so easy to just float around the SW penninsular and forget there's anything to the east or the north. Perhaps its the cider and surf that keeps us so insular at times.

I'm up for a meet, shared story or two and a camp out with my lad. We never do camp-sites though and maybe thats why I love the south west (south of bristol!), there's plenty of free beaches/moors/dunes/woods to disappear into without paying a penny.

That said, if anyone "organised" something, picking a date off-peak season, there'd be no need to potentially waste money on deposits or anything, just spread the word and see who does make it? I'm definitely "in principle yes", and happy to go as far as the midlands...born and raised originally on the south wales coast so "the dragons north of bristol" don't scare me that much :thumb:

·
Survivor
233 Posts
Northern Raider,

May be a silly question, but what to you do, or had planned to do on these meets?

I have been a bush crafter for a few years but I'm fairly new to Preparing and survivability,
SWMBO thinks I'm nuts!! Personally I like to think that at least one of us can help our family and still provide for our kids should the SHTF

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Northern Raider,

May be a silly question, but what to you do, or had planned to do on these meets?

I have been a bush crafter for a few years but I'm fairly new to Preparing and survivability,
SWMBO thinks I'm nuts!! Personally I like to think that at least one of us can help our family and still provide for our kids should the SHTF
Good Question,Basically they same as the do at American RZs, Meet socially, develop trust and communications between survivalists, exchange idea, techiques etc. discuss kit, transport, bug out plans, Barter, run little skills classes,try and create mutual support agreements etc have a look at www.wilderness-gathering.co.uk and look what the Bushcrat Community does, then imagine the Disaster Survival Community doing something similar.

He who has the information and contacts survives longest, I think I cover it fairly well in my little free E booklet on Survival retreating, if you want a copy just PM me with an E mail address and I'll send you a copy.
NR

·
Registered
121 Posts
Good Question,Basically they same as the do at American RZs, Meet socially, develop trust and communications between survivalists, exchange idea, techiques etc. discuss kit, transport, bug out plans, Barter, run little skills classes,try and create mutual support agreements etc have a look at www.wilderness-gathering.co.uk and look what the Bushcrat Community does, then imagine the Disaster Survival Community doing something similar.

He who has the information and contacts survives longest, I think I cover it fairly well in my little free E booklet on Survival retreating, if you want a copy just PM me with an E mail address and I'll send you a copy.
NR
Does that count for all of us about the E booklet? :D:

I think I would be up for meeting up, picking up some hints and tips...although for some reason I dont know if I'd fancy a campsite? Seems abit of a holiday club sort of thing, apposed to living out in the wild, etc....
Maybe its just me....?

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
I think I would be up for meeting up, picking up some hints and tips...although for some reason I dont know if I'd fancy a campsite? Seems abit of a holiday club sort of thing, apposed to living out in the wild, etc....
Maybe its just me....?
It's not just you, I think that appeals to others too, Beards.

It doesn't appeal to me so much as I am more into "preparedness" as opposed to bushcraft, etc (although I wouldn't mind learning some) - and my desire is to meet up with like minded people with more of an emphasis on food storage and food storage cooking, alternative ways of heating the home, etc.

I think there are already bushcraft/outdoor survivalism things to go on, training on the like but if someone here wants to organize a meet up for you guys to go off to the woods - go for it!!

I'm just wishing I could even meet one family here with like goals....

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Does that count for all of us about the E booklet? :D:

Maybe its just me....?
Yes of course, please just PM me with an E mail address as its to large to send via the PM thingy.

I've held RZs in hotels in Brum,Timber Lodges at centre parcs and at remote locations only found using 6 fig grid refs, its more fun having to see who can actually read a map :D: I believe in trying to accomate all by having a place that people can camp or bivvy if recquired, but also small hotels, camp sites and travel lodges near by for folks who dont like camping.

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
It's not just you, I think that appeals to others too, Beards.

It doesn't appeal to me so much as I am more into "preparedness" as opposed to bushcraft, etc (although I wouldn't mind learning some) - and my desire is to meet up with like minded people with more of an emphasis on food storage and food storage cooking, alternative ways of heating the home, etc.

I think there are already bushcraft/outdoor survivalism things to go on, training on the like but if someone here wants to organize a meet up for you guys to go off to the woods - go for it!!

I'm just wishing I could even meet one family here with like goals....
Yeah thats me to, I did my bushcrafting when I was a young man and a soldier, i'm more into prep and planning for families these days, I like people who want to pick up various skills as learning is always a good thing.
NR

·
Registered
121 Posts
I think at the moment I'm looking to collect as much information as possible!! Any advice would always be welcome!!!

·
Survivor
233 Posts
Organising a meet does sound good, Im into the bushcraft side, guess thats what drew me in to the reality of being prepared, guess it opened my eyes....

Just curious, of all of thoses willing to meet up, which parts of the country are we from?
and how far are people willing to travel?

·
Old Git
3,220 Posts
Organising a meet does sound good, Im into the bushcraft side, guess thats what drew me in to the reality of being prepared, guess it opened my eyes....

Just curious, of all of thoses willing to meet up, which parts of the country are we from?
and how far are people willing to travel?
Read the thread from the start old chap.:rolleyes:
For top notch Bushcraft meets have a look at the Ludlow Survivors Group
and the fabulous annual Wilderness -Gathering in Wiltshire, Google either for the details.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts