Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there has been lots of sucesses in the USA with group meets and get togethers. And i was wondering if theres none in the UK? or if i just cant find them?

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
I don't know of any. We could make one ourselves, but if there are so few of us around it will mean expensive travel for some people as there won't be regional meeting points. It would be fun to meet some people from here, though.

ETA - Of course there may be things going on with people meeting each other off other forums, that I don't know about. I am on two forums and haven't heard of any meetings, but that's just me.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Theres a UK forum called Ludlow Survivors, I think they have meets but no idea what goes on, how regular they are etc.

·
Refuse, Resist
142 Posts
I haven't heard of any meetups either, but I'd be up for it if anyone is interested in getting one started. I suppose we are quite scattered geographically, but perhaps people would be prepared to travel a bit further for an occasional meet? Maybe every three or six months?

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Sounds like a good idea. Not sure if its practical though. I have 3 months free in summer so if ones set up and im free i'm in.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i am in devon by the cornwall border.... and i am limited by the need for public transport...

who lives in the south west of england? any furthur is just not practical for me

·
Registered
141 Posts
would really be interested in a meet i live in wales but thats no prob for the odd trip i am sure we would all learn a lot from each other
all the best

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
check out the ludlow survivers website ive learnt a lot from that site . we all meet up on the web so just start sharing things you've done and learnt that can be a use to other members , remember the only time you stop learning is when you die !!!!!

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
There are a few forums that have meet ups in the UK.

Britishblades.

bushcraftUK.

bushcraftliving.com.

All these have meet ups.

It would be nice to start are own from this forum.

·
Registered
141 Posts
so are we going to meet up could be a camp site somewhere central just for a couple of days it would be nice to put names and face'es together

all the best
bowdrill

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I have been threatening to meet up with this really nice bloke I met on a forum, He makes knives and is a dab hand at all this surviving thing Lives Leicester way I think ) . I'd love to actually make it some time and if there was a few of us , great !

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
There are some nice campsites in Somerset, if people up north don't mind driving down. Guy could get as far as poss with public transport, and I'm sure someone could run pick him up and get him to the campsite. (sorry to talk about you Guy).

So far Yorkshire is as far north as anyone has said they'd like to come from - unless I've missed or forgotten someone (sorry). Leicestershire looks pretty central if we're aiming for a geographical center. I don't know much about the area though.

Again, Guy, if you can get to the major town of the region by train I would imagine someone would be glad to pick you up.

wouldn't they? (that includes us, but maybe someone who isn't putting up a tent with "help" from an incompetent wife and several excited children might be better set for such a task!! :) )

·
Refuse, Resist
142 Posts
So far Yorkshire is as far north as anyone has said they'd like to come from - unless I've missed or forgotten someone (sorry). Leicestershire looks pretty central if we're aiming for a geographical center. I don't know much about the area though
Hem, hem. I'm in Northumberland actually. :)

Nevertheless I'd be prepared to travel, even to Somerset! I have an uncle in Bristol so I could possibly work in a surprise visit at the same time.

My biggest problem is not so much distance, but rather work. I work constantly changing hours, often at weekends so I would have to hope that the meetup was planned for a weekend when I'm not working or during my holidays.

BTW, sorry if I've missed it, but has anyone given any thought to when we might do this?

·
Registered
141 Posts
myself open to near enough anytime but more notice the better somerset be fine for me only a couple of hours up the road what about a weekend at the end of april or sometime in may

all the best

·
Preparing...
1,302 Posts
Oh sorry i forgot to mention i will be using public transport if i go. But i will just get the train to the nearest place and cycle from there.

But i have a lot of exams on in the next few months so i might not be able to make it to the meet ups for now but maybe if there are more then i may be able to go.

·
Non semper erit aestas.
3,918 Posts
What about a weekend in May? In order to get as much notice as possible we need to move quickly so that working people can arrange their work schedules etc. (My dh needs to fit in a work trip abroad for example.)

I know a bank holiday weekend will be popular, but in my book it's reason to avoid going to a campsite at that time! a) they're more crowded and b) the prices go up.

I'll be happy to organize something in Somerset, but if it's more in the middle of the country, I don't feel so able as I don't know the area. I guess I could, but it would be more "sight unseen".

So, is there any real interest (enough that I can risk making a deposit for a group booking - assuming I'm elected to organize - I'll be very glad if someone else wants to do it)?

·
Registered
141 Posts
seem's to be in your area if you dont mind organize ing it that would would be great if you want the money before we get there no prob's i think the rest need a bit of a push for what i can see but if it's just my family and your's then so be it, it is a start and you will always bge welcome in wales

all the best
bow

1 - 20 of 35 Posts