Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about the state of the economy, and how some people were talking about being unemployed. Then I was reading the sections that had to do with bartering and then it hit me, we really need a thread on Survivalist Economics. So I started typing about scavenging, bargain hunting and bartering. I came up with what is now this post.

It's like four pages long now, but I bet you'll learn something.

Remember this one rule:
When it comes to bargain hunting and scavenging, there’s always something worthwhile to be found.

Factory Outlets
Factory Outlets are the most over looked stores when it comes to bargain shopping, but they have some of the best deals. A lot of times I can find stuff at a factory outlet for less then I would buy something used.

A lot of times, I can go to an outlet mall and find some good deals. For all you people who live in Raleigh North Carolina or that area, the Morrisville Outlet Mall has a good number of deals. You can find any book for Dummies for four bucks there. It would cost me 20 at a Boarders and about that much money to buy a used one.

When I furnished my home, I found that the furniture outlet store allowed me to save a lot of money. It seriously blew my mind, especially when I was fully furnished my sister’s room with new, American made furniture for less then 1,200 dollars.

Also, all my business casual clothes were bought from Factory Outlets and I paid a little more then I would at Wal-Mart, but they all look like designer clothes.

Also, my whole kitchen is stocked from things I inherited when my parents were killed, and stuff from the Kitchen Outlet at the Morrisville Mall. I always find a good deal when I go and I go every other week for stuff.

Craig’s List
Craig’s List is an important internet tool. It’s one of the best things that man has ever made. If you look through the Craig’s list classified page, you’ll see a little part under the items section that says “Free”. I look at that section every day. When my sister’s bathroom needed remodeling, I scavenged every appliance, cabinet, counter and mirror from Craig’s List and a scrap metal yard. It looks good.

I also got the piano in my living room, my filing cabinets and my desk from the free section of the classifieds ads. Craig’s List made scavenging a lot easier for me.

Also Craig’s list is a good place to look for bargains. A lot of people use it when they are about to move and need to get rid of things really fast, so they put items up really cheap. I once bought a toaster for ten bucks.

You could probably furnish your whole home with stuff that comes off of Craig’s List.

Trash Dumps
When looking through trash dumps, remember to wear gloves. Getting cut by a piece of glass or a piece of sharp, rusty metal is

A lot of times in Rural Communities, there’s a place where a lot of people just dump trash on the side of the road. If you need a piece of metal or a piece of scrap lumber this is one of the easiest places to find those two objects. If their on private property, always ask for permission, but if it’s on public property, don’t even bother.

Every once in awhile you’ll come up with a real treasure, and I’ve found a few. I once found a set of brass hinges that now hold my front door to the door frame. I also once found a metal cooler that was GIANT that I can use to hold my beer cold if the power goes out.

Looting Abandoned Properties
Get permission before you do this, but I find a lot of really cool odds and ends when exploring abandoned properties. I get permission and then I go in. I find things like discarded hand tools (you can never have to many tools), a typewriter that decorates my office, metal pipe and scrap metal that I used for projects and sold for profit, appliances (The newest bath tube in my sisters bathroom is a 1920s claw foot tub that’s double wide that I was able to scavenge from a house in Virginia).

Also if you ever go hiking on the Trails around Falls Lake in North Carolina, there’s a lot of abandoned property in the area from before the lake was built. My sister, I don’t know if it was legal or not, was able to scavenge up old bottles for milk and liquor from the 50s and earlier. She sold them at an auction for a pretty penny.

EBay
Yes, you can bargain shop on EBay. The secret is to not get caught up in betting wars. The way you do this, is you look for items that are about to have their bidding periods expire and that no one has bid on. If they have no reserve and they have a good starting price, you got a good deal.

Dumpster Diving
When I was in High School, I used to work for a guy that had three or four dumpsters on the side of the street in Downtown Raleigh. It’s not the most civil thing, but you never know what you might find in one.

I found a tube radio in one and fixed it up really good. It still sits by my bed today.

I also once found a purse that someone had stolen from someone and thrown in the dumpster. I returned it to the owner and she was really happy.

Flee Markets and Yard Sales
At Flee Markets and Yard Sales, you can find a lot of things at cheap price. The flea market at the Raleigh Fairgrounds is like my superstore. I kind find all sorts of awesome stuff there. Some of the stuff isn’t survival related, but I did once find these AR15 clips for 8 bucks a pop. Also at Flea Markets, people sell a lot of army surplus stuff. I’ve picked up camping supplies and weapons there too.

Going Out of Business Sales
Going out of Business sales are awesome, and I think there are going to be a lot more them around now. I’ve seen places where things have had their prices knocked down 80 to 90 percent in the name of liquidation. There was a little fishing and hunting store that were selling all their non-firearms off in order to reorganize their business, and I went in and spun like crazy. I ended up spending 200 dollars and ended up with two fully equipped tackle boxes, and two fishing poles.

Thrift Stores
Don’t laugh at Thrift stores. Some people do, and they are the people who should be laughed at. My sister set up an awesome enterprise at 13 where she was raiding thrift stores for penny antiques and putting them in auctions. She would buy a little figuring for like 2 dollars and was selling them for like 28 to 35. She collected damn near 15,000 dollars her first year. For a 13 year old, that’s not bad. Just to think, she did that with pocket change.

Good Wills and Charity shops are the best place for household items and toys.

Dollar Stores
Dollar stores are great, especially the dollar stores that deal with overstock. I used to go to them when I was in High School and stock up on under priced candy. They gave me a cavity.

Seriously thou, Family Dollar is where I buy a lot of my cleaning supplies and my dog food. Sometimes they don’t have the best quality, but at least I’m not giving Wally-World my money right?

Used Book Stores
I shouldn’t have to say this one thou. I can’t remember when I bought a book that was brand new. Most of my survival books came from Used Book Stores in Raleigh. I also sell some of my books to them. It’s a great little way to save A LOT of money.

Pawn Shops
The pawn shop is one of the most overlooked bargin hunting places. I love a good old pawn shop, especially now. If you’re a good haggler, then you have a chance to make excellent deals. In fact most of my hand held power tools came from pawnshops and yard sales. It has saved me TONS of money.

Since a lot of pawnshops are having problems since the recession, it might be worth while to start hitting them now. Also, if your looking for guns before the ban is started, this is the place to look.

Produce Markets
When it comes down to buying fruits and vegetables, I find it cheaper to shop at produce markets. What I don’t grow, I buy from the local produce market. It works well, I save some money, and everyone is happy.

Junk Shops
Junk shops aren’t quite thrift stores and their not quite charity shops. They deal in low quality antiques mostly, but every once in awhile a cool item might come through their doors.

Libraries
When it comes down to reading for enjoyment, I suggest libraries. I mean you’re not buying material things, but your buying in to a service that will let you save TONS of money in the long run. I am a proud holder of a public library card.

Vocational Services
In some areas, it is possible to get students, under the supervision of a teacher, to provide services to you at a discount. I’ve never used this, but in my many researches about finding bargains, I’ve read about this.

Damaged Items
A lot of times you can find and buy damaged items to save money and then fix them to save money. My father, the *******, once said to me, “You could buy it and then fix it, but it’ll cost you more in time then it would to buy it new”. Well he was a guy with money, and he was a spend thrift. I have more time then I have money. I’m a daytrader that’s not trading, so I have time, but I don’t have money (actually I do, I was just illustrating a point).

My dinning room set was a bunch of stuff that I found that was made out of the same wood that I stripped the finish off and then refinished. My boat, I rebuilt. My farm pickup I rebuilt.

It cost me time, but it saved me money.

Trading Services
Trading services is one of the best things you can do. I have a survivor network and we swap services all the time. My best friend runs a scrap metal yard. I’ll rebuild a his gun if he’ll give me some stuff that comes in to his scrap metal yard. While trading services with this guy, I’ve come up with a set of spare engine parts for all my vehicles, a gun safe, ammo boxes and loads of other stuff. In fact, that’s the best bargain hunting I’ve ever done. I have literally gotten hundreds of items from this guy in the past two years. He calls me every day with a new item to see if I want it, and then I’ll do something for him.

Junkyards
When looking for a car part, the junkyard is probably one of the best places to go. Trust me on this, my best friend owns one. I don’t like used mechanical parts because it might be pretty warn out, but for things like electronics, wheels, hubcaps, body parts and interior parts, they are the place to go. Some of the junkyard owners will work with you too. You’ll also be supporting the little man if you do this.

Avoid Car Dealerships
Whatever you do, don’t get your car repaired at a car dealership, they will charge way to much to repair your car. If you want to save money (and I mean lots of money), then you should use smaller, sole proprietorships, they will treat you right. Once my a chunk brother’s exhaust pipe rusted out and this small muffler shop charged him 8 bucks to wield a piece of metal pipe in to replace it. I know the dealership would have taken his kidney.

Refurbished Goods
Sometimes you can find refurbished goods. They may be a little pricier then regular goods that you can buy used, but their cheaper then new goods. I like refurbished goods. These include things like engines, transmissions, computers and wide variety of other goods.

Research
When shopping retail, remember to do your research. A good bargain hunter will look through sales catalogs to find deals. I love buy one, get one free deals. I love coupons and store memberships. These things are the necessity of a bargain hunter. I could go on and on about this, but that’s the type of stuff you can look up on the internet or that we have other threads on this board about.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Very nice.

I would add about craigslist the following disclaimer.

Lots of police in central NC, especially the Asheboro city police like to run sting operations through Craigslist. They will list something and casually mention it is stolen and then bust you if you go through with the sale. Usually this means firearms, but Ive heard of people getting arrested for buying lawn furniture.

I see their ads on Craigslist every once in a while. At one time they had some guys doing this full time nothing else and were arresting tons of people who really didn't realize they were doing something bad. Tell an 80 year old man that you have a nice gun but its hot and he will have no idea you just told him it is stolen.

If you aren't told it is stolen and you have no reasonable reason to suspect it to e stolen, you are fine, but if they mention in any way shape or form that they have stolen property RUN.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't forget trash day; I can't believe it only comes 52 days a year. You'd be amazed at the stuff people throw out. Also I've found a lot of stuff just by walking around town, gets you to know your neighbors and the layout of the land.
Yeah, I forgot about that too. Trash day is important if you ask me. You can find a lot of stuff then.

·
Banned
3,995 Posts
Some people say they have luck with freecycle though I can't get the local one to reply to emails to let me join. (They must know riff-raff when they see it.)

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some people say they have luck with freecycle though I can't get the local one to reply to emails to let me join. (They must know riff-raff when they see it.)
I never needed Freecycle to do well with scavenging and stuff, but I do support their efforts. I forgot all about them when I was writing as well, silly me. Some people do find success with it, and I'm happy for them.

·
Prepared
15,924 Posts
In a sense, being underemployed is worse than being unemployed. The unemployed have more time to go to some of these places, whereas those of us in windowless cubicles have a harder time getting out to these places. We are really on a fixed income / fixed expense lifeway. We need opportunities that we can sneak into our lunchbreaks, weekends, evenings, etc.

I'd add a couple more sources: auction houses, estate sales, and government surplus. Also, there's a growing barter economy out there. My wife took some women's clothing to a consignment shop and was standing in line behind a carpenter. Now why would a carpenter be trying to sell higher-end women's clothing at a women's consignment shop? It turns out he did a job in an upscale home and was paid (full or partially, I don't know) in women's clothing.

·
Barbarian
519 Posts
I dont understand what you said on "looting abandoned properties" and getting permission for it, two things wrong, "looting" means just going in there and taking it, and if it's abandoned then who would we ask to go in there?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont understand what you said on "looting abandoned properties" and getting permission for it, two things wrong, "looting" means just going in there and taking it, and if it's abandoned then who would we ask to go in there?
Abandoned - Withdrawing support or help despite allegiance or responsibility

Technically speaking, a property can be owned by someone and abandoned. They just don't bother being responsible for its upkeep.

I was just kind of having fun with words there dude.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL!! Everyone in this thread is trying to collect more junk. Am I the only one trying to get rid of all my material possessions?
There is a lot there that has to do with grocery shopping and then my remark about candy. Why do you want to give away your stuff?

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Check the dumpster and area behind a store as they go out of business. You can pick up lots of fixtures and useful items. I got an electric chain saw, paper shredder, and a trailer full of fixtures I sold to other merchants last time I scrounged one. Check with the owner 1st so they don't call the cops on ya though.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Great Thread, I know a man who started a business tearing down old houses where new and bigger ones are going up. He has came away with a lot of neat old junk. You get paid twice in that type of work.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great Thread, I know a man who started a business tearing down old houses where new and bigger ones are going up. He has came away with a lot of neat old junk. You get paid twice in that type of work.
Part of what I do to earn extra income is I haul away old, abandoned mobile homes for free and I gut them of all their metal parts. Whenever I haul away a mobile home, I get to scavenge what ever is inside of them. Usually I find a cooking pot or two. I once found a propane tank.

Sometimes I find things that should never be found...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts