Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen a lot of posts asking if you would be upset if you didn't get a chance to use your preps or if "it" never happened. People ask how much money should I spend on preps.

Survivalism is not a hobby. It is a mindset. Everything a survivalist does is with the idea towards taking care of himself or herself and the family. A survivalist looks at every aspect of life and puts it into a little box. That box is "how do I make, do, grow, repair, support everything that pertains to life; MYSELF". They are always asking the questions of what can go wrong and they build a contingency plan for everything they can think of.

A survivalist is on a constant learning bent. They never quit asking how or searching out the answers to their questions.

Prepping is just a way of having insurance. Instead of relying on others to provide security based on a promise, you provide your own insurance through hard work and persistence.

A survivalist doesn't have to go out and "practice" because they live it every day. It is just part of who they are. That is not to say that you can not learn how to do it. In fact I encourage it, but go into it with the idea that it is a mindset and not a hobby.

·
I come in peace..
1,296 Posts
Im trying to take some of the survivalists strategy and mantality during uncertain times in my life now.

Just starting out.. but I think Im getting smarter. hahah

·
Survivalist
394 Posts
Its a hobby for me but at the same time i realize how important it is. Im thinking about it alot when i go to the store i'm looking at things i pontential need or expiration dates on food. I'm always searching the net looking to further my knowledge.

"Which is heavier a soldiers pack or a slaves chains" Napoleon

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
I have seen a lot of posts asking if you would be upset if you didn't get a chance to use your preps or if "it" never happened. People ask how much money should I spend

Prepping is just a way of having insurance. Instead of relying on others to provide security based on a promise, you provide your own insurance through hard work .
Thank you so much for voicing what I think and do everyday. People thought I was crazy cashing my 20k of savings bonds for preps. But how far would 20 k really get me. Plus the 500 a month in food and supplies is always going to go up in value just look at the inflation around us.

And I even put my date of retirement as 12/21/2012.

And if nothing happens no skin off my back I'll live off my preps. This is my retirement.

Reactions: klickitat

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Its a mindset for me. Its something that doesnt get switched off, its always there.

I wonder if the difference would be that those that have been in a SHTF situation see it as a mindset and those who havent see it as a hobby!
Actually that is the case with me I had always been a self sufficient guy and had always been a survivalist. And have always prepared for what is inevietably coming. That's also why when I calculate how much I have into it I never calculate gear or the homestead.

But right after the rice canyon fire of 2007 i started actually getting everything in order and planning Then right after the 2008 election I realized that all my gut feelings and premonitions were actually coming to reality and started stockpiling food and supplies like crazy.

Btw it was the property I lived on that the fire went across the freeway and was the pivot point during the day. At one time I was stuck between fireballs shooting across the road as big as a car and on the back side of me a wall of flames 100 yards wide shooting over 100 feet up. I turned my Nissan sentra into an off road vehicle. I was covered in flame retardant when the air drop came directly over my house as I was evacuating. After that day was over I spent the next five days fighting re-flash fires, chasing off looters, and being harassed by LEO and the CA national guard.

The part that got to me most was how FEMA is the biggest joke ever. How illegal mexicans and sheepies that were 4 miles away from the actual fire bogged the system down so much lining up for their free assistance that people in real need were left in the cold. The local seventh day Adventist church a mile down the road was the only place to get a hot meal for 4 days.

I saw a glimpse of things to come and it scares the **** out of me. I came out of it better for the wear I had always been self reliant but now when shtf just leave me alone completely I'll take care of myself. I can safely say that the only thing I got out of it was a 500 interest free loan and that was through the Navy relief society, my friends did buy me a generator because they couldn't understand how I was living without power (2 weeks altogether)

·
Patiently Waiting
6,084 Posts
When I was a kid and my friends and I would go out riding our bikes for the day, I always had a backpack with food and water.

When I first got my drivers license I always kept enough water and snacks to last a few days, as well as a sleeping bag and a packet of matches.

When I got married my wife and I always made sure we could make it two months without electricity.

Survivalism I would suppose is a mindset for me. I've always had it and it doesn't seem like any effort for me.

It wasn't until last year when I came to SB looking for some advice on a backpacking stove that I even knew 'survivalist' was a word. And by that time I had about a years worth of food and consumables stored up for myself and my family, as well as a plan if we had to leave here and never come back.

Finding out there are thousands of likeminded people was such a relief as I thought I was a little paranoid. The only other person I knew of that was a prepper was one of my bro-in-law's friends who was anti-gov (in a bad way) and a bit of an anarchist.

I've learned a LOT more since being part of the SB community and it's now part of my life. It's where I go when I want to find the latest news, events and things going on around the world because it's all here in one place. Sure there's often differences of opinion, but it works for each of us making our own way through this life.

*edit* There are things within the survivalist mindset that I would consider hobbies. Things like my 30 odd flashlight collection that keeps growing slowly, the rope and knot crafts I've learned, hiking, keeping fit and camping. All these things are hobbies that help me in my preparedness for if I ever need them if the S ever does HTF.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Well said Kilckitat. Being a true suvivalist I do think you kinda have to look at it as a mind set and a life style, more so than going on an "extended camping trip" possibly. While I do a lot of things becuase I want to, almost everything I do has an alterior motive behind it geared towards survival. I mean sure I have a good stash of food put away to last me an extended period of time, I have enough money to buy food and eat well, but I still at the same time have a small garden that I also maintain. Its not so much I depend on it for food, or that it cuts down on my grocery bill all that much. Its so I can continually practice the "art" of growing things so that should a time come where I do have to depend on it I can. I wont have to "learn while I burn". Its so I can continuosly learn what my capabilities are and how to improve them. The fact that I do save a good bit on the grocery bill, the fact there is an abundance of things in good supply and the fact that I can also eat better is all just an added plus. Rome wasnt built in a day, neither will your skill and abilities. Like the military says "Train like you fight, fight like you train". That way when you do have to fight its all automatic, there is nothing to think about, you just simply exicute.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
I will have to say it is neither a hobby nor a way of life for me. Being aware of possibilities and planing based on a reasonable risk assessment is. If something is likely to happen I want to be able to respond. It is like Defensive Driving. You look and are constantly aware of the environment. You are not surprised when that animal on the side of the road darts out in your way. You expect the driver of the other car to do something stupid.

I just like -what if?- scenarios. And have alway enjoyed a good disaster as long as I do not have to participate in it. Call me a Survivalist Coach Potato. :cool:

·
Prepared Firebird
3,842 Posts
I will have to say it is neither a hobby nor a way of life for me. Being aware of possibilities and planing based on a reasonable risk assessment is. If something is likely to happen I want to be able to respond. It is like Defensive Driving. You look and are constantly aware of the environment. You are not surprised when that animal on the side of the road darts out in your way. You expect the driver of the other car to do something stupid.

I just like -what if?- scenarios. And have alway enjoyed a good disaster as long as I do not have to participate in it. Call me a Survivalist Coach Potato. :cool:

You have a great way of cutting thru all the static and saying what matters.

Defensive driving and defensive prepping. I really like that analogy. And, I do both, too.

:thumb: :thumb: Two thumbs up for your post. Way up. LOL

·
Registered
329 Posts
To be honest, I'm trying to think about prepping a little less. Every cent I spend I think about how that could have been a prep. I tried to have a girl's day out a few weeks ago (for the first time in months) and couldn't even bring myself to buy a pair of shoes because that $30 could be better spent on something else. I didn't know what I'd rather spend it on, I just had this knot in my stomach telling me not to do it. I don't like to be far from home, I am afraid to take a vacation sometimes.

I'm trying to NOT be such a paranoid prepper because it makes life sort of stressful. It's hard to have fun when you're always thinking about the end of the world. Gotta live in the moment sometimes, or you'll go crazy.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,956 Posts
Over time, I've come to wish that the term "survivalism" would be replaced by something more like "self-reliance."

Because that's what this is. Survivalism, as OP describes it, is really just that--self-reliance.

That's where the continual learning comes in, the practicing of self-reliant habits, the "self-insurance" that prepping creates.

Self-reliance. That's what survivalism is.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yes, it's a way of life. This forum has helped me focus on the how to be one. I've known for 20 years that I was a survivalist personality, but only the past year has it been clear how to be one.

My wife was saying yesterday she thinks she is going crazy since the items we do on a daily basis could be called prepping. I reminded her it's our lifestyle, not that we are waiting for an EMP, just that if life throws us a curve ball (fire, illness in family, job loss) we are ready.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It's like I tell my buddies. I'm just being myself. I don't have hobbies, only skill sets. I can hunt, fish, sleep in a shelter I just built and find water and food. I don't like softball, frisbee or golf. Turns out that the things I enjoy are mostly survival related.
DM

1 - 20 of 43 Posts