Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to start stockin up on some essential tools that I think would be necessary to survive with in a SHTF senario. I'm buying items in groups of two so that in case i would happen to lose one it wouldn't be detrimental. I'm not looking to spend thousands of dollars but I would like to be prepared.

I've already bought an axe and nice strudy knife, but I'm looking for some ideas. I'm putting together some kits as well. I've started on a first aid kit, and I'm workin on a hunting kit. (things to make traps with.)

I don't want things that would run out (matches, liters, bandaid, etc.) but items that would last. Also so basic gardening tools (wasn't born of a farm :()

Would love some ideas

·
Registered
158 Posts
My wife and I sat down a few years ago and made a set of lists of everything we'd need to be self sufficient and then started acquiring the stuff on the lists. Good idea getting input from people to complie your own list that way you wont just buy random stuff. We've got so much stuff it's easy to forget what we have so we do an inventory about three times a year and update our written lists.

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Bolt action rifle in .243 or greater, pump shot gun, reliable .22Lr.
lol you beat me to it +1 :thumb:

1st tool you need is a weapon. i would get a semi-auto pistol, at least 6 mags and 500-1000 rnds. you cant survive if you cant defend yourself.i recommend a pistol because it fits the most likely situations, specially economics. which i believe to be the most likely problem we will face very soon. you just need a pistol and a rifle if you plan for backpack survival, war,mad max and/or hunt when you bug out.but you may need a rifle for hunting ,a shotgun for home def, and a pistol to carry ,when you go to the store,work,looking for food..ect if you bugg in in an economic disaster.

So are you bugging out ,or bugging in ? do you have camping gear? backpack? what type of SHTF are you wanting to prepare for? natural disaster,mad max, war/revolution, economic,peace of mind ? most ppl start with 1 or 2 of the most probable they think will happen,then grow from there. this will help every1 focuse on what to suggest.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
This is general discussion....

I think you need a flame thrower, a mortar, a general purpose machine gun, some land mines...blah blah...

Oh, and seriously, a fishing rod. :thumb:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm thinkin more along the lines of economic, or a natural disaster. I think those both are in our near future. I'm actually going to look this weekend :) at some hand guns.

Also looking for some ideas on what types of foods to stock up on, I've looked at buying MREs but I would like to have something that would last or could be regrown, MREs would just be for the waiting period between the harvest. Thinking about stockin up on rice, beans, canning meats, buying different types of seeds for planting and what not.

·
Registered
272 Posts
just some random stuff....

(tools)
splitting maul
sledge hammer
tin snips
chain
cable
locks (will be hard to find if the poo flys)
brace and bits (think antique hand drill)
a come-a-long or two (cheap now....TERRIBLY USEFUL when you REALLY need one!)
a block and tackle and good rope for it (same as above)

(medical)

suture kits
superglue

(weapon)

GOOD LARGE cleaning kit
Spare parts for whatever main weapons you have
(Ar's and AK's are easy as there are several kits avail)

at least one GOOD bowie type knife for each person
(Not nessessarily HUGE )

(MISC)

Rope
metal type camping mirror
whistles
rechargable batteries & chargers
some sort of radio communications (think no cellular service!!)
inverter
LED FLASHLIGHTS!!!

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
Well I got a simple list..
M1A, FAL, or Bolt gun. ammo and cleaning kit
Colt .45 or good revolver. ammo and cleaning kit
.22 rifle, ammo and cleaning kit.
(Notice each gun has its own cleaning kit? Each kit should stay with its gun at all times, just like the loaded magazines.)
Work boots, gloves and a hat
Hatchet, ka-bar and leatherman
sleeping bag or blanket
Tube tent or one-man tent and poncho
Medium or Large Alice pack with frame.
Parachord
Several Canteens and a couple MRE's
Change of socks, underwear, and Gold Bond
A set of Quality basic hand tools and a spare serpentine belt all left in your car trunk.
Keep your spare tire inflated! Two cans of fix-a-flat in car's trunk kit.
This will get ya started.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts