Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
my test

Most probable scenario
To combat the direct rays of the sun, you place the plastic over you. Thirst is quenched by sipping from the can of water. Hunger is satisfied with the C rations. You notice a plane flying overhead, so you pour some oil/gas onto the waters and light it. A plane flies overhead during the day, you use your mirror to shine a reflection of the sun to catch their attention. To get the tarp in a protective location, you tie it down with the rope

You have endured many hazards with little harm to your health. Your thoughts turn towards finding means of protecting yourself from exposure. After days of waiting for rescue, you still have your stamina! You are noticed and rescued! The plane sees the reflected light and identifies you, you have been found!

Your overall survival IQ is 99.
Your ability to stay alive is 99%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is 99%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 99%

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
To combat the direct rays of the sun, you place the plastic over you. Thirst is quenched by sipping from the can of water. No fish are caught, seems to be a bad area for fishing! Hunger is satisfied with the C rations. You notice a plane flying overhead during the evening, But you cannot get their attention. A plane flies overhead during the day, you use your mirror to shine a reflection of the sun to catch their attention. To get the tarp in a protective location, you tie it down with the rope
You have endured many hazards with little harm to your health. Your thoughts turn towards finding means of protecting yourself from exposure. The fish caught have not been suitable for eating, your rations continue to deminish. After days of waiting for rescue, you still have your stamina! The night plane flies overhead, but does not see you! The plane sees the reflected light and identifies you, you have been found!

Wow, I survived! But I truly think you'd be cooked under the plastic.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
Most probable scenario
To combat the direct rays of the sun, you place the plastic over you. Thirst is quenched by sipping from the can of water. Hunger is satisfied with the C rations. You notice a plane flying overhead, so you pour some oil/gas onto the waters and light it. A plane flies overhead during the day, you use your mirror to shine a reflection of the sun to catch their attention. To get the tarp in a protective location, you tie it down with the rope

You have endured many hazards with little harm to your health. Your thoughts turn towards finding means of protecting yourself from exposure. After days of waiting for rescue, you still have your stamina! You are noticed and rescued! The plane sees the reflected light and identifies you, you have been found!

DO I PASS?

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I can't believe they recommend pouring liquid fuel in the water and to light it,being the survivor is in a rubber raft. That fuel will collect around the raft and set your only chance on fire.Remember,fire was the reason they are stuck in a raft in the first place. I would be hesitant as hell to even try this stunt with my aluminum boat.
Wierd thing about the survey..I tried it a couple different ways,got a better grade by dumping the fishing tackle and dragging onto my raft,the gasoline.
Now I can eat fish,but I can't drink gasoline.

·
Gettin' there
919 Posts
I figured, pour the gas in the ocean, use your paddle to push the boat away, toss a match.
'Course, I had time to think about it. But I doubt I would have grabbed the stuff I did if I had to choose within a matter of a few seconds. :rolleyes:

I can't believe they recommend pouring liquid fuel in the water and to light it,being the survivor is in a rubber raft. That fuel will collect around the raft and set your only chance on fire.Remember,fire was the reason they are stuck in a raft in the first place. I would be hesitant as hell to even try this stunt with my aluminum boat.
Wierd thing about the survey..I tried it a couple different ways,got a better grade by dumping the fishing tackle and dragging onto my raft,the gasoline.
Now I can eat fish,but I can't drink gasoline.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Have any of you ever spilled fuel while in a boat? I have,and there ain't NO WAY you can control where the slick goes.It flattens out instantly,envelopes the boat.I seen it refueling my boats,and while they filled boats at the state operated harbor.If you spill it inside the boat,the fumes drop to the lowest part,the bilge. And it sits there for a while,until it evaporates off,and is ventilated out.That why powerboats have blowers.Fire on water is a tough fire to fight,usually requires a foam,like AFFF or FFFP. Inside the boat,halogenated agents work well because of their ability to penetrate around obstacles,and it ability to disrupt the fire triangle.I fear fire at sea far more than foundering.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Second time around I figured I would pick the least probable items. Heres the results

You are able to determine what direction your are going, but your attempts change directions are adversely prevented by the ocean currents. After covering the body with the repellent, survivors try to relax with a dip in the ocean Everyone complains about the sunburns, and attempts to don things to protect themselves from exposure to the sun. Thirst is quenched by sipping from the can of water. No fish are caught, seems to be a bad area for fishing! Hunger is satisfied with the C rations. You notice a plane flying overhead during the evening, But you cannot get their attention. Out of fear you drink the rum
Out of frustration, the sextant is tossed overboard. No one attempts to retrieve it. Sharks kill most of the survivors. Everyone has burned skin and needs medical attention! Your thoughts turn towards finding means of protecting yourself from exposure. The fish caught have not been suitable for eating, your rations continue to deminish. After days of waiting for rescue, you still have your stamina! The night plane flies overhead, but does not see you! You pass out and the next day die of exposure!

Your overall survival IQ is -1.
Your ability to stay alive is 52%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is -32%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is -23%

Now how is it that the IQ can be -1 and the ability to stay alive 52%

I just dont quite understand that

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
you could always fill an empty beer can with gas, stuff a gas-damp napkin in the hole, light and chuck FAST. I know there was no mention of empty beercans, but seriously- when's the last time you were on a boat and didnt have empty beer cans at some point?

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
With some of the guys I fish with, I could build a solar mirror with all the beer cans that would be seen by SkyLab.:D:

Here's the perfect choices for things NOT to choose::D:

Most probable scenario
Attempting to tune into a station proves futile. What stations are available do not cover emergencies! After covering the body with the repellent, survivors try to relax with a dip in the ocean Everyone complains about the sunburns, and attempts to don things to protect themselves from exposure to the sun. As you drink from the ocean, your tongue swells from the saltwater. No fish are caught, seems to be a bad area for fishing! The mosquito netting is used to catch fish, but is ripped apart and tossed instead. Hunger sets in, you look for things to chew. You notice a plane flying overhead during the evening, But you cannot get their attention. Out of fear you drink the rum To compensate for hunger, you each some chocolate, but it only makes it worse
The radio is tossed over the side of the raft! Sharks kill most of the survivors. Everyone has burned skin and needs medical attention! One dies of suffocation of their swelled tongue. The fish caught have not been suitable for eating, your rations continue to deminish. Thoughts of real food impede your attempts to stay focused on the problem at hand! The night plane flies overhead, but does not see you! You pass out and the next day die of exposure!

Your overall survival IQ is -48.
Your ability to stay alive is -73%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is -43%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is -28%

Reactions: Dwind

·
Registered
42 Posts
I took issue with the fuel as well tho I do like the idea of the flotation device, you could always pour some fuel into one of the cans.

Speaking of cans, I sure hope the can openers were still in that case of C rats.

Nom

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
The test is inheirantly flawed.It states its based on a similar test conducted by the US Coast Guard. One thing the Coast Guard drills into sailors? Don't abandon you primary craft. They state the yacht is slowly sinking? Figure out where the hole is,and throw that plastic over it.Like putting a bra over it. I've done it with sunk boats.Had one last year that hit pilings and poked holes thru the hull.We stapled truck tarp material over the hole,attached lift bags,and pumped it out.The patches held until it was towed up river and hauled out.
You always stay with your main craft until it absolutely goes beneath the waves.
The test also doesn't list a ditch bag,which almost every openwater boater has.I wouldn't go on a boat without mine.

·
Banned
653 Posts
It's common sense..

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well without keep testing it to get those phony 99% answers several got, here was my score.

Most probable scenario
To combat the direct rays of the sun, you place the plastic over you. Thirst is quenched by sipping from the can of water. The mosquito netting is used to catch fish, but is ripped apart and tossed instead. Hunger is satisfied with the C rations. You notice a plane flying overhead, so you pour some oil/gas onto the waters and light it. A plane flies overhead during the day, you use your mirror to shine a reflection of the sun to catch their attention.

Your overall survival IQ is 80.
Your ability to stay alive is 96%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is 48%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 96%

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Most probable scenario
To combat the direct rays of the sun, you place the plastic over you. Thirst is quenched by sipping from the can of water. No fish are caught, seems to be a bad area for fishing! Hunger is satisfied with the C rations. You notice a plane flying overhead during the evening, But you cannot get their attention. A plane flies overhead during the day, you use your mirror to shine a reflection of the sun to catch their attention. To get the tarp in a protective location, you tie it down with the rope

You have endured many hazards with little harm to your health. Your thoughts turn towards finding means of protecting yourself from exposure. The fish caught have not been suitable for eating, your rations continue to deminish. After days of waiting for rescue, you still have your stamina! The night plane flies overhead, but does not see you! The plane sees the reflected light and identifies you, you have been found!

Your overall survival IQ is 82.
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 48%

Well, I grabbed the tarp to gather condensation for an additional water supply, so I guess I am as lucky as I am survival oriented.

·
I hear the bagpipes
279 Posts
1st time score is below: Most probable scenario:

You are able to determine what direction your are going, but your attempts change directions are adversely prevented by the ocean currents. Everyone complains about the sunburns, and attempts to don things to protect themselves from exposure to the sun. Thirst is quenched by sipping from the can of water. No fish are caught, seems to be a bad area for fishing! Hunger is satisfied with the C rations. You notice a plane flying overhead, so you pour some oil/gas onto the waters and light it. A plane flies overhead during the day, you use your mirror to shine a reflection of the sun to catch their attention.
Out of frustration, the sextant is tossed overboard. No one attempts to retrieve it. Everyone has burned skin and needs medical attention! Your thoughts turn towards finding means of protecting yourself from exposure. The fish caught have not been suitable for eating, your rations continue to deminish. After days of waiting for rescue, you still have your stamina! You are noticed and rescued! The plane sees the reflected light and identifies you, you have been found!
Your overall survival IQ is 62.
Your ability to stay alive is 97%
Your ability to protect yourself from the elements is -2%
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 91%
Guess I made it!:thumb:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts

Your overall survival IQ is 82.
Your ability to catch the attention of your rescuers is 48%

Ha. BudgetSurvivalist. We got the same results. I would say "great minds think alike"...but that contradicts what I believe. In terms of the gas/oil mixture, I completely missed the part where they said the survivors had matches, so I thought that was pointless to have. The only way I would've seen it being useful would be if I didn't have the plastic, and the mixture was just straight oil. Horary for rudimentary sunscreen!

Thanks for the topic though. It has inspired me to learn more "stranded at sea" survival.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts