Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Observer
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As NavAids, Comms or even basic entertainment, most types of modern computing equipment would not be useful but PDA apps could be very helpful e.g. GPS, Communication, Mapping?

Ideas, Suggestions and Real Life Expericences Please :D

Thanks oy6

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
As NavAids, Comms or even basic entertainment, most types of modern computing equipment would not be useful but PDA apps could be very helpful e.g. GPS, Communication, Mapping?

Ideas, Suggestions and Real Life Expericences Please :D

Thanks oy6
I think there are a number of reasons why these devices will be useless in the long run. 1st many rely on external communication channels to function and without those channels they serve no purpose. Second their batteries don't live long without recharge. Finally, they are very rarely hardened for use in extreme temperatures or if they get wet, dropped, etc.

Those exceptions are not stopping me from looking at various eReaders to make portable my large PDF library. I'm sure there are other applications that might make them worth your time. Especially, if they are usful to you when the world hasn't come to an end.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
If you rely on power for survival in a really bad situation, you are not going to survive very long. All my preps are hand powered, like crank radio, crank flashlight, candles, etc.

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
If you rely on power for survival in a really bad situation, you are not going to survive very long. All my preps are hand powered, like crank radio, crank flashlight, candles, etc.
I have a small 12V DC hand crank device to power/charge things in the event my 12V DC solar panel is lost, stolen, damaged, or there is no sun light for an extended period of time.

The hand crank device itself is just a generator (aka no flash light/radio). However, it can charge the batteries for these other devices.

Again not relied upon but certainly a perk while I have it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have a small netbook with many many PDFs on it. It's smaller than a paper notebook and could contain thousands of books and references. That and a small solar or crank charger could prove valuable. There are batteries available that could go for about nine hours before needing a charge. Using it sparingly to only look up information you need, it could go for quite some time before you need to recharge it.

Not saying you should rely solely on it for your references, but being able to carry 1000 books for the size and weight of 1 is not a bad thing.

Besides that... mapping & topographic software, music, could be used in conjunction with a ham radio for data transmission, etc.... many uses if you keep it from breaking.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,165 Posts
I think there are a number of reasons why these devices will be useless in the long run. 1st many rely on external communication channels to function and without those channels they serve no purpose. Second their batteries don't live long without recharge. Finally, they are very rarely hardened for use in extreme temperatures or if they get wet, dropped, etc.

Those exceptions are not stopping me from looking at various eReaders to make portable my large PDF library. I'm sure there are other applications that might make them worth your time. Especially, if they are usful to you when the world hasn't come to an end.
I tend to agree. Depending on technology is a losing proposition. It will always let you down when you need it the most. It seems like every year they rescue dehydrated hikers that are lost only a few miles from their car. They had broken their GPS or ran the batteries out or something, and didn't know how to use a map and compass.

I can see how ereaders would be handy though. But anything important still needs to have a hardcopy. I just tend to go for simple, proven technologies. They got by fine with that in the past, and so will we.

·
Wayfinder
409 Posts
I have a both solar battery charger (AA, AAA, C) and a briefcase solar cell. The ($60) briefcase solar cell looks exactly like a briefcase and opens up flat to display two big solar panels that output 16 volts at 1 amp. Enough to run a shortwave transceiver or charge a laptop, cell phone, or (slowly) car battery.

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
I have a both solar battery charger (AA, AAA, C) and a briefcase solar cell. The ($60) briefcase solar cell looks exactly like a briefcase and opens up flat to display two big solar panels that output 16 volts at 1 amp. Enough to run a shortwave transceiver or charge a laptop, cell phone, or (slowly) car battery.
Links, Links, Links...please

Reactions: andyhuk

·
Truth = Trolling Here
209 Posts
Depending on the global situation, i.e. US/NATO under attack all civilian GPS will be locked out of the grid and only government systems will work.

Still would be a good if you have some detailed maps (topo and sat) of the area you’re going to be living in.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
screw gps get a topo map and street map of your area and laminate them and get some alcohol pens so you can draw on it and erase if nessicary learn to terrain associate and get any good grids from a gps you need before hand an mark on you map rechargable bateries still can only recharge so many times before there useless

Reactions: andyhuk and MikeK
1 - 13 of 13 Posts