Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
I don't disagree about storing food. I just think being able to provide for one's needs is just as important.

To me.....it's much more important. Which is why food is actually not something I have to worry about much.

Besides, wouldn't you agree that a person that can grow and raise a significant percentage of their food is better prepared than the folks that merely buy and stockpile?
No I would not agree. Neither would farmers or hunter gatherers for the last several hundred years because they would also keep stock piles of food. If they did not they would never make it through a bad winter or a bad harvest.

Also time and other resources can produce a LOT of food right now very cheap. Post SHTF producing the same number of calories may cost many times as much. Look at how cheap a 5 pound bag of flour is currently. It costs less than most people make in 1 hour. In a post SHTF world where gasoline and other energy sources are limited , it is unlikely one could produce 50 pounds of flour with one hour of labor.

I am certainly not knocking skills or producing ones own food. It is just that unless you have a profit producing food production business now, food production post SHTF is likely a back up plan not a good first option.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I personally would never consider it an either/or proposition.

In pretty much any long term event, you are going to want a large store of food and water set in so that if the nature of the event requires, you can go a long time without needing to farm or scavenge. The time of year the even takes place in (end of the growing season for example), the nature of the event (say a radiological or biological event), the chaos of the event (say warfare or other military style action in the area, let alone refugees or such), you having been injured in the event and needing time to recover, or any number of other things could delay the ability to plant, harvest, hunt/fish/scavenge.

To increase the chances of survival, you need to stock in significant food, water, and capacity to collect food even if you plan to grow and acquire your own.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
I am certainly not knocking skills or producing ones own food. It is just that unless you have a profit producing food production business now, food production post SHTF is likely a back up plan not a good first option.
NOW is the best time to get prepared...there is no guarantee it will get easier. For self sustaining, he's what was determined:

This number assumes absolutely no land degradation, crop failures, or waste. An infographic by 1BOG.org breaks it down to about 2 acres of land for a family of four. This includes approximately 12,000 sq. feet for wheat, 65 for eggs, 2640 for corn, 100 for dairy, 207 for meat, and 77,000 square feet for vegetables.
That also assumes that the family of four are all productive members working on that 2 acres, have the equipment, the means to run it, and the ability to maintain all of it along with the water necessary for all of it. Even if you have that setup, there is never a guarantee of failure, loss, limited production, etc. You still need to consider a good amount of stored food to augment and hedge against marginal harvests.

I still think that while you can store a good amount of food, have the home garden, chicken coop to add to that, you still need to connect with others for trade and bartering. Diversifying is essential for survival.

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Quite a bit of discussion about the Great Depression. We should probably remember that for the most part lack of food wasn't caused by lack of production. Much of Roosevelt's early administration was an effort to get farmers to cut back on production. It was a vicious circle - no jobs meant no money to buy food for city dwelling factory workers while farmers planted every square inch to try to stay out of bankruptcy. There was violence and many protests ala those in the 70s and farmer protests such as those lately in France and India.
My Grandfather lived the GD and started raising 5 children in the late 20s, early 30s. Dad said they never lacked for food between what they raised and the game his Dad hunted and fished. Deer populations were depressed along with quail, turkey and grouse. Lack of habitat given over to crops is the likely culprit for low game bird populations. Fish were abundant. My Dad ate so much chicken they raised and government hand-out peanut butter that he rarely touched either as an adult.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,643 Posts
The "UGLY" truth is the masses of modern day humans, today lack the physical ability to walk one mile every morning and another mile every evening. The total of those two miles is equal to 1/2 hour of "Light" labor.

What delusion are people swimming in to think they could endure nine hours a day at medium manual labor, then another two or three hours of light labor after the evening meal. Then pull rotating guard duty for one hour throughout the night.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts