Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,503 Posts
Good presentation, though I don't think we have 5 years and then of course there is the matter of who you may trust. We've done a pretty poor job of trusting many of the politicians placed in powerful positions to date.
We may not have five years - or we may have seven - it's open to discussion. But if enough people who share a similar philosophy would unite and cooperate, their survival quotient would improve.

It's true that "good folks" who formed cooperatives, communes and religious enclaves were often infiltrated by parasites and plunderers. Usually, the founders were zealous and committed to the group goals. Those who came afterwards, were a problem. Shaker communities often reported an influx of ne'er do wells every winter, seeking "help" and disappearing when springtime came around, with its uptick in farming chores.

As to rules, I like to keep it simple : "What's yours is yours, what's mine is mine, don't trespass."
Be considerate of others. Be charitable, forgiving, and compassionate. But don't be a doormat for the evil doers. Tolerance of evil is unmerciful to their next victim. Sacrificing yourself is one thing. Sacrificing others for your own benefit is another.

Reactions: MCVet

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,503 Posts
My Grandparents did also and there is plenty references that say most wildlife anywhere near human habitation was wiped out until the 1970's...but ehh...agree to disagree :)
I read a report that due to the Depression (1930-1940), wild game in the Appalachian mountains was hunted almost to extinction. It took 20+ years for game populations to rise to pre-1930s levels.

Reactions: Herkemer

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Well i dunno about their experience BUT game populations did decline heavily during the early 1900 and that decline lasted through the depression era. A lot of this may have been from commercial hunting however.
In Ohio Deforestation wiped out the whitetail and most forest critters by 1898.

Dad was a teen during the depression and they had a lot of cottontails on the farm but deer didn’t make a comeback till the 50’s.

When I started hunting in the 70’s deer were still scarce in the poorer habitat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
Honestly, most people that do not prepare are going to have issues long before six months...especially if the event occurs during a rough season (say late Fall, early Winter).

It does not take a major event to throw everyone up in the air. I mean, a few weeks without power and ability to be out in the town (say, severe winter weather) will kill tons of people.

Look how many people died of things other than the water in events like Katrina, or because of heat waves every year.

How many people don't have first aid skills, let alone a decent first aid kit? How many people don't have decent warm or cold weather clothes? How many don't have the ability to shut off their gas, water, or power box?

All that LOTS of people need is for 911 or the National Guard to not be there within 48hrs of the event.

·
Survivor
3,822 Posts
Honestly, most people that do not prepare are going to have issues long before six months...especially if the event occurs during a rough season (say late Fall, early Winter).

It does not take a major event to throw everyone up in the air. I mean, a few weeks without power and ability to be out in the town (say, severe winter weather) will kill tons of people.

Look how many people died of things other than the water in events like Katrina, or because of heat waves every year.

How many people don't have first aid skills, let alone a decent first aid kit? How many people don't have decent warm or cold weather clothes? How many don't have the ability to shut off their gas, water, or power box?

All that LOTS of people need is for 911 or the National Guard to not be there within 48hrs of the event.
There's a very small window left to prepare for the things that are coming! :(
If you plan on utilizing the internet, times almost up!

·
Survivor
3,822 Posts
I read a report that due to the Depression (1930-1940), wild game in the Appalachian mountains was hunted almost to extinction. It took 20+ years for game populations to rise to pre-1930s levels.
Won't have to go far for game, "they're" bringing them in by the busloads to most blue states. May just start calling fast food burgers, "migrant burgers".

·
Registered
44 Posts
I built car kits on that expectation, i.e., enough to keep body and soul together for 24-48 hours. There are six bottles of water, a Sawyer water filter, some lifeboat emergency rations, flashlights, gloves, string backpacks, TP, repair items, knife, firemaking equipment, etc.
Hey Goose. Off topic, but if you store sawyer filters in the car make sure they haven't ever been used. If they freeze it breaks the micro tubes. And I've heard claims that you can never get all the water out of them once they've been used. I think if they haven't been used they'll probably stand freezing OK but I'm not 100% on that.

The test for damage is that they will pass air OR water but not both. Meaning that if you suck water through the filter and then try to suck air, you shouldn't get any. If air comes through then it's damaged. (Or as in the case of one I got off amazon, probably counterfeit)

On the original topic. I agree that 6 months will get you through a lot of things. Probably 99% (statistic made up on the spot) of hard times. Definitely having several months worth of TP would have come in handy last year and at least one of those months of food depending on the severity of lockdowns. Hurricanes, snow storms, and civil unrest won't last that long. Trade embargo with China might, however. I've been thinking that I should stock up on stuff I rely on from there. If you're planning for the complete disappearance of civilization (which I'm not) then you probably want at least 18 months worth of food minimum to tide you over until your first, best-case harvest (assuming that you can go from 0-60 on farming in one growing season with no loss due to disease, drought, insects, bad varieties, heat waves, early frost, etc.)
But yeah, put a little extra food by regularly, get first aid/health experience, have spares for things you need regularly and you'll be a lot better off. If nothing else it'll put you in a position where you can be helpful.

DK

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
We won't know until things start getting in "real" short supply. As "I" understand it the "satanists/Illuminati" have a code they follow? Satanic commandments; Secret List Of Illuminati Satanic Commandments Leaked. Non-members are regarded as cattle.
Sorry, but I had to comment on that list.

One, any article that claims to be serious and starts off with a picture from Babylon 5 has me amused.

Two, Anyone who thinks ANY American President is a member of something like the Illuminati is drinking the wrong Kool-aid. Why have pretend power when you can just sit behind the scenes possessing real power? A member of the Illuminati becoming President is like someone making Ten Million a year to do nothing giving it up for a job where you work your butt off 80 hrs per week for $5 an hour....

Three, that list is almost moronic...sorry, but that list is the classic example of someone trying to start crap and trying to sound smart...

1) If you presuppose Lucifer exists, God exists. If God exists, then God created Lucifer to create all the people? What?

2) Alias and Also Know As have slightly different meanings. Alias is almost exclusively used for identities not phrases. Also, Global Genocide leaves no slaves? What is the point of ruling then...?

3) Since we don't....

4) So tell the truth and prevent people from getting it... why tell it then? Why not just tell lies and skip a step of preventing them from hearing the truth?

5) Why is it always the Christians and Jews? Where are the secret organizations wanting to be rid of the Scientologists, Taoists, and Transsubstantianists?

6) So, obey only yourself....not these commandments or the people who put them out...?

7) Uhm....why? To what end?

8) Serve nothing but something? And only at the end? To what end if the only time it matters is the end?

9) Again, since they haven't....

These sorts of things are just another way the people actually in charge keep us turning on one another so we don't turn on them...

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
In the event of a major problem like nuclear strike, or solar Storm damaging the grid, if they don't get the power back up and going or get the supply chain running within a few months, 95% of people will be dead and there will be no way to recover, not enough people to run the system.
For a worse-case scenario, which would be either a total EMP/CME type event, or a simpler attack or failure of our electric grid and massive disruptions in supplies/distributions, I give 95% of Americans less than 90 days. The vast majority of that 95% likely have no more than two weeks of food on hand, and even worse is they likely only have a few days’ worth of potable water…a far greater threat. Americans have been conditioned to “wait” for government assistance and that will lead to the demise of many.

If you have enough water (a good water source and means to purify), a means to heat water/cook, enough food, the necessary heating sources for winter months, and the ability to both keep a low profile and defend your premise, you will outlast 95% of the population in the first 90 days of a catastrophic event that shuts down the grid, grinds transportation/supplies to a halt, and no government services, law enforcement or military support.

What comes after? It depends on the season, your location, and access to resources. We have a stocked lake and plenty of deer, small game, (way too many) geese and ducks. We have a garden area (we sadly let go fallow) and I have plenty of heirloom seeds as part of my preparations…but that will require good timing. We have excellent resources around and if I don’t get chickens again before this “SHTF”, I have access to some when I need them.

If you make it past the masses, you’ll need to organize locally. Establish some form of communications and security system and then focus on trading, bartering, and a local farmer’s market. Six months is possible, 12 months would be better 18-24 month’s would put less stress on your gardening, chickens, or other farm producers or your hunting, fishing, trapping fortunes.

ROCK6

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
On every thread like this I always tell folks the same thing. Storing food/supplies is great but not the end. For weather/natural disasters or other scenarios where a return to normality is expected sure, you can get by on what you have. But for anything long term it's skills and knowledge that you're gonna need most.

Don't make the mistake of neglecting that aspect. As the saying goes, give a man a fish he eats today. Teach a man HOW to fish, he eats for life.

I thank my lucky stars I grew up the way I did. Self sufficiency was just a way of life for me so it just comes natural. If we couldn't figure out a way to provide what we needed, we learned to do without. Which btw is a great way to learn how to do things in a hurry. Going without sucks, but it's one helluva motivator.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
No it won't. It will be like the great depression people eat everything not a song bird in sight
I don't think so, and I've done a bunch of analysis and research into this. Society is much larger, yes, but it is also much less capable. The number of hunters has declined over the past decade and game populations have exploded. I do agree, there will be waste and excessive hunting, but the vast majority of "our" citizens have zero skills to hunt and the learning curve is too steep when your survival clock is ticking. Sure, there will be pockets where game populations will dip drastically, but after 6 months when 95% of the population dies off from medical issues, environment exposure, dehydration, dysentery, and starvation. It will only take a season or two and we will likely have a boom in wild game. It happens frequently in ecological systems where you get the cycles of more prey game which triggers a bigger predator population, which in turn triggers a dip in prey, resulting in a cyclical drop of predators.

The the Great Depression was only different in that more of the population hunted, we don't have that anymore and I simply don't see our greater population creating an elimination of game outside of a few isolated areas.

ROCK6

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,657 Posts
No it won't. It will be like the great depression people eat everything not a song bird in sight
You base this pronouncement on what, exactly?
Try looking at human populations, wildlife, fish, and livestock populations, and recalculate.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
I don't think so, and I've done a bunch of analysis and research into this. Society is much larger, yes, but it is also much less capable. The number of hunters has declined over the past decade and game populations have exploded. I do agree, there will be waste and excessive hunting, but the vast majority of "our" citizens have zero skills to hunt and the learning curve is too steep when your survival clock is ticking. Sure, there will be pockets where game populations will dip drastically, but after 6 months when 95% of the population dies off from medical issues, environment exposure, dehydration, dysentery, and starvation. It will only take a season or two and we will likely have a boom in wild game. It happens frequently in ecological systems where you get the cycles of more prey game which triggers a bigger predator population, which in turn triggers a dip in prey, resulting in a cyclical drop of predators.

The the Great Depression was only different in that more of the population hunted, we don't have that anymore and I simply don't see our greater population creating an elimination of game outside of a few isolated areas.

ROCK6

The problem is wild game in the usa depend on agriculture. We have more deer in the usa than before European contact. This is from cutting down forests ( deer like clearings) and growing soybeans, oats , etc.

Fish however , in the ocean at least , will for sure increase in numbers. We are basically hunter gatherers in the ocean. A 50% die off in humans would double ocean fish populations rapidly.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
On every thread like this I always tell folks the same thing. Storing food/supplies is great but not the end. For weather/natural disasters or other scenarios where a return to normality is expected sure, you can get by on what you have. But for anything long term it's skills and knowledge that you're gonna need most.

Don't make the mistake of neglecting that aspect. As the saying goes, give a man a fish he eats today. Teach a man HOW to fish, he eats for life.

I thank my lucky stars I grew up the way I did. Self sufficiency was just a way of life for me so it just comes natural. If we couldn't figure out a way to provide what we needed, we learned to do without. Which btw is a great way to learn how to do things in a hurry. Going without sucks, but it's one helluva motivator.

I’ll be honest I think storing food is the way. Society is not gonna go mad max. At least not permanently in one generation. Even in the most dire scenarios , like global thermonuclear war, things will be back in a few years. if not back to “normal” back to civilized at least.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I’ll be honest I think storing food is the way. Society is not gonna go mad max. At least not permanently in one generation. Even in the most dire scenarios , like global thermonuclear war, things will be back in a few years. if not back to “normal” back to civilized at least.
I don't disagree about storing food. I just think being able to provide for one's needs is just as important.

To me.....it's much more important. Which is why food is actually not something I have to worry about much.

Besides, wouldn't you agree that a person that can grow and raise a significant percentage of their food is better prepared than the folks that merely buy and stockpile?

101 - 120 of 125 Posts