Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking, If you don't have the resources to prepare for doomsday you should at least get 6 months groceries on hand.

In the event of a major problem like nuclear strike, or solar Storm damaging the grid, if they don't get the power back up and going or get the supply chain running within a few months, 95% of people will be dead and there will be no way to recover, not enough people to run the system.

So, storing more food might only delay your slow death.

Unless you have the resources to go all out, farmland, major solar setup,a few yEars food storage etc, it will likely do you no good having food beyond 6 months.

However if society bounces back and they get
the grid back up in a couple months, then you will likely be government cheese etc to get by.

Would like to get your critiques, what am I missing with this?

Mos

·
KOAD; FOAD; ESAD
10,682 Posts
A friend has advocated for many years
“Everytime you go to the store, buy one more can of Chunky or Progresso soup”..its mostly an example of how easy it can be to accumulate food…and a can of such, with two cups of rice, will feed two adults a filling meal

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,659 Posts
In my opinion, you should start by learning to cook and eat foods that store without refrigeration, and travel well. Then buy as much as you can easily carry, 30 days worth is a good start. I know its tempting to base this completely of freeze dried backpacking meals, but these can cause epic constipation, so you might want to mix them with other storable foods.

Once you have a true 30 day food supply of stuff you will eat, start thinking about the other consumables you need. Clean drinking water tops this list. Also Meds, soap, cooking oil, paper products, you dont want to be the guy with ten yrs of food and no toilet paper.

I would take the time to buy and try out all the necessary gear you will need to survive 30 days without power, at variius times of the year. We take heating and cooling for granted, but in some parts of the country, HVAC is a matter of life and death.

Once you have a solid 30 days worrh, start expanding your supplies. I suggest you target 12 months at minimum, since you may choose (or forced) to support other people. My personal target is 3 yrs, since I do have a ranch, and I might need the time to scale up production.

·
Banned
2,366 Posts
I was thinking, If you don't have the resources to prepare for doomsday you should at least get 6 months groceries on hand.

In the event of a major problem like nuclear strike, or solar Storm damaging the grid, if they don't get the power back up and going or get the supply chain running within a few months, 95% of people will be dead and there will be no way to recover, not enough people to run the system.

You have two jobs on this planet. Reproduce and delay your death as long as possible. Once enough normies die, the world will be the survivor's oyster. There will be more deer than people. Life will return to normal.

·
Basket of deplorables
3,212 Posts
I do what I feel is reasonable and prudent without going overboard with everything. I have never seen the value of having one or two years worth of food. You have to constantly rotate through to prevent it from becoming a huge waste of money. Some long term storage food that you can mix with things like rice/beans etc will stretch the food and give you a lot of what your body requires. As to other preps, it's going to vary from region to region and your families needs. If there is a large nuke event most all of us are not getting out of it alive in my opinion. If you did your life would probably be very short and miserable.

Earthquakes, volcanoes, EMP's, tsunami's etc those can be mitigated with some good thinking and keeping your mind right. All of that being said, I have my strong faith in God. I know He is not going to give me anything more than I (You) can handle. It's all within His will and when He calls me home I'll go. I don't worry about all of this other stuff too much.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
6 months gives you a long time to try to figure out either how to, or make acqaintence with peopel who know how to grow potatoes, squash, corn, or raise livestock etc. I probably store a similar amount of emerency foods, enough to get through a winter here in the northeast, say if the power simply went out and did not come back on, and nobody was clearing roads or anything like that - no services.

what are you going to be drinking? do you have a water supply?

·
Registered
766 Posts
With 95% of the people dead, there will be lots of empty land for the remaining people to farm.
So enough food to last from now (whenever that is) until the next crops can be harvested is the bare minimum.
Depending upon why they're dead, there will either be plenty of canned food at the local walmart, or none at all. So don't count on that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Unless you have the resources to go all out, farmland, major solar setup,a few yEars food storage etc, it will likely do you no good having food beyond 6 months.

However if society bounces back and they get
the grid back up in a couple months, then you will likely be government cheese etc to get by.

Would like to get your critiques, what am I missing with this?

Mos
6 months gives you a long time to try to figure out either how to, or make acqaintence with peopel who know how to grow potatoes, squash, corn, or raise livestock etc. I probably store a similar amount of emerency foods, enough to get through a winter here in the northeast, say if the power simply went out and did not come back on, and nobody was clearing roads or anything like that - no services.

what are you going to be drinking? do you have a water supply?
I have a creek in property

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
D
I do what I feel is reasonable and prudent without going overboard with everything. I have never seen the value of having one or two years worth of food. You have to constantly rotate through to prevent it from becoming a huge waste of money. Some long term storage food that you can mix with things like rice/beans etc will stretch the food and give you a lot of what your body requires. As to other preps, it's going to vary from region to region and your families needs. If there is a large nuke event most all of us are not getting out of it alive in my opinion. If you did your life would probably be very short and miserable.

Earthquakes, volcanoes, EMP's, tsunami's etc those can be mitigated with some good thinking and keeping your mind right. All of that being said, I have my strong faith in God. I know He is not going to give me anything more than I (You) can handle. It's all within His will and when He calls me home I'll go. I don't worry about all of this other stuff too much.
I think an emp that takes out the grid permanently means I would die eventually.

But f we are talking limited nuke stokes, or regional emp grid takedown,. You would have help coming eventually. The key would be to survive till the system booted by up.

·
Space Force Recruit
1,800 Posts
6 months worth of groceries up front is a LOT of money that I think most people cannot afford. Your best option is to buy what you can when you can and put stuff back every time you go grocery shopping.

I have a buffer of about 3 weeks worth of MREs to supplement whatever else I have stocked up. Where I’m at storing more than a month or twos worth of stuff isn’t a good idea as the population density here is large, it’d be easier to leave everything and not have to deal with looters 24/7

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
With 95% of the people dead, there will be lots of empty land for the remaining people to farm.
So enough food to last from now (whenever that is) until the next crops can be harvested is the bare minimum.
Depending upon why they're dead, there will either be plenty of canned food at the local walmart, or none at all. So don't count on that.
But there likely will not be any way to get to the people growing crops. No gas. I would be sol.

·
Born 120 years too late.
6,396 Posts
A healthy man can walk 30 miles a day or ride a bicycle a hundred. Or - here's a novel idea - BE one of those people.
A SMART man has saved enough gas to get to where ever he has to so he can bring everything with him.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A healthy man can walk 30 miles a day or ride a bicycle a hundred. Or - here's a novel idea - BE one of those people.
Yeah, if you walk 24 hrs.downhill, are a Marathon runner or run. I would also bet less that 10%- I'm being generous- of the posters on here could come even close. Are you one of that 10%? If so cudos to you.

·
4,014 Posts
The problem with that is just like in years go by there will be people that feel everything is theirs for the taking. People in the area before you are libel to think just because they only owned maybe five aces before and they may have lived in the area a year or two, they have more claim to the land than someone that just showed up. Are you willing to fight for it?

1 - 20 of 125 Posts