Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok what i did was caught some salamanders i got some pine needles and some chicken boulion and it was good what are some of the weirdest things you ate in the outdoors.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Ever see the movie "Rogers Rangers" with Spencer Tracy? They made a soup with whatever anybody caught.Fish,frogs,birds,turtles. Don't forget Tums..

·
Registered
91 Posts
I haven’t really eaten anything weird in the wild, but while on a foreign exchange trip in Vietnam I ate cat and dog. I ate camel while in the middle east.

Edit: Scruggs' post reminded me about pidgeon. I ate that too while in the middle east.

·
1,794 Posts
Whole, sun dried octopus. Was OK Tasted like seafood jerky. Pidgeons - OK. Not much meat. A piece of black water snake when I was young. Big mistake.

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
I ate shark fin once it wasn't bad and ya tastes like chicken. I ate what I thougt was chocolate covered rice...never eat chocolate covered rice or yellow snow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi guys, slightly off topic but you may find this interesting. The journals of Rogers Rangers can be purchased on amazon and are a fantastic read. Not only just an amazing bunch of guys but the book has a lot of information about survival in the harsh circumstances of the times. I am about half way through now and can not recommend it enough.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
Hi guys, slightly off topic but you may find this interesting. The journals of Rogers Rangers can be purchased on amazon and are a fantastic read. Not only just an amazing bunch of guys but the book has a lot of information about survival in the harsh circumstances of the times. I am about half way through now and can not recommend it enough.
wasn't that with spencer tracy and the story was about the greeners??

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thats the one, I've never seen the film but his journals are really good and well worth getting. I find a lot of older books and authors have a lot to say about survival/bushcraft. One author is Robert Ballantyne, great books including 'The Hudson Bay Company' and
' The Fur Traders'

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rats, hit the wrong button before i had finished post. Was about to say that lots of these older books including many hunting, trapping books from the old west are available in pdf or text format from the website mountain men and the fur trade and also from project gutenberg. These sites are always worth a look on a regular basis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts