Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to do some survival snow camping for the first time. It is going to be -2 tonight so I don't know how this is going to go, but I'm going to try it. Due to time constraints and the lack of a 4-wheel drive vehicle, I'm camping in the backyard. By staying in the backyard, my boys got to help and can play in the snow cave for days.More pictures will follow.

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Few tips, snow is a great insulator, but if it starts to melt and you get wet you will be in dire straights. Staying dry is the name of the game, even sweating too much is dangerous. make sure to account for ventilation. Also dig a "cold well" in your cave, this lets any cold air sit at the bottom, while you up top with the warmer air. a door is key, but you need airflow too.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still prepping for the night so thanks for the tips. I would dig a hole, but I already scrapped to the ground. It is -2 so I don't think that the snow will melt. However overheating on my part is a concern.

My biggest fear is the ground sucking the heat right out of me. Even though I have a nice three layered sleeping system, I don't have a good ground pad. I scrambled around the house to find something suitable and I narrowed in on my nylon and foam AK 47 case. I grabbed it along with a shotgun case and stuffed them full of towels so that I could lay on them. I hope this works.

My fingers are crossed.

·
Silly Boyz TrucksR4 Girlz
224 Posts
Good Idea ! Better to experience it now and know what you'll do different in a real emergency situation. Let us know how it went .

·
V
21,713 Posts
Corrugated cardboard works for the homeless, is there nowhere near by you can get a natural insulation layer? Tree boughs etc,

Looking forward to your update on this keep posting :thumb:

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,657 Posts
As Smudge said cardboard and/or tree boughs - especially spruce, pine or fir. And even one candle can create a bit of heat although too many candles can melt the roof of a snow cave. As I have found out from experience. One pic of a snow cave I made and slept in a couple nights in a Wyoming wilderness >

Attachments

·
old hand
7,441 Posts
As I have found out from experience. One pic of a snow cave I made and slept in a couple nights in a Wyoming wilderness >
My kids do this almost every year when they find a drift big enough.

They've spent many afternoons 'surviving' in the caves, but have never overnighted in one.
.... perhaps it's time they (read 'we') did ! ! !

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
great idea i'll be working on Kyras snow fort today and i'll see how well it would work as a tent as well just for fun

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lots of fun. Many lessons learned.

1. Rifle cases make great ground pads. Just one more reason to own a gun.

2. Over heating was my biggest concern. I wasn't cold a bit, but I did have to vent and shed a few items in the middle of the night. Not an easy task in a mummy bag and a snow cave.

3. I constructed the cave by going in head first, but when it was time to sleep I had to get in feet first, so I could close the door and slide into my sleeping bag. This resulted in limited head space and extra foot space. Simple to fix next time. I just need to crawl in feet first and clear out extra snow before putting all of my gear in.

4. Having a watch and a chem light came in really handy. When you wake up in the middle of the night, you are going to want to know how long you have been sleeping and what time it is.

5. Know what you are doing and how to stay warm. My prior research, training and experience allowed me to prepare properly and I'm sure avoid a lot of mistakes. An example of this would be venting in the middle of the night at the first sign that I was breaking a sweat.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
the backyard is a GREAT place to practice and try new things out. if you screw up or things don't work as planned, you aren't in a bad situation.

build a small reflective wall for your fire, it will keep you more toasty than you would believe.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some how by editing a photo, they were all deleted from this thread. Also I lost the ability to thank posters or edit my own posts. I have no idea what I did, but if somebody has any advice to it would be appreciated. I would love to put the pictures back up but somehow I can't.

·
SI vis pacem,para bellum
1,952 Posts
///////////////////////////

How do u keep it from caving in,do you hose it down with some water and let it freeze or it just supports it self.Dose it have to be zero for it to stay together.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes. I have a nice set of cold weather long underwear. I also wore a stocking cap and wool socks. I was nice and warm. I brought a candle but never used it.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
did you make irrigation lines in the ceiling and walls so any melt would flow away and out?
found i needed to do this or just vent more. i'm adding another room to kyras igloo or snowglue/snow globe as she calls it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Interesting idea about irrigation lines. I didn't do it intentionally. However I was using a raking like tool at times and it did probably create these lines, although I didn't think about it when I was doing it. Sounds like something to plan for next time though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts