Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that every so often people come on here either looking for survival schools or asking questions about them. I've been doing some research into what it would take to found a school, the resources needed, the cost, liability, etc. And by founding one I don't mean the offshoot, "We meet here, pay me 300 bucks and I'll teach you how to make a bow drill fire." I mean a legitimate, full time establishment where there are various sorts of classes to take, from a basic survival skillset class to advanced techniques like longterm survival and survival theory. To be honest I have been looking at Cody Lundin's school as inspiration because I feel like what he does out there is genuine and probably one's best bet as far as learning survival goes.

Anyone have any thoughts on it? Could the help of the community make it a decent idea for someone to share their passion and knowledge with people in a much more effective way than them watching a survival tv show? Any ideas would be awesome folks. Thanks guys.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
OK Like anything else that is Business related, you need to have a business plan. Otherwise it will flop, no matter how well it or it's curriculum is.

First and foremost is how much is this needed in YOUR AREA? Are there "Rival schools" already established? Also how much variety can you provide in your area, in terms of the necessary "Classrooms" and travel areas?

It could be a very good thing, or it COULD be a flop IF you don't have a viable plan.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, definitely no rivals around here and a business plan Have plenty of diversity as far as "classrooms" go within short distance of here so different classes would be an option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do you have any schools around you that already offer you time slots where you can come in and teach?
If they do why not do a 'pilot' class and see how many people are actually interested if it seems like something that could take off then start looking for a permanent space, advertising etc.
It's just a thought

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
OK then you have to consider your available capital, (it DOES take some money to get started. Incorporation fees, Business License, insurance, Advertising, business cards, "Diploma's or Certificates" etc...) Also you will need support personnel and instructors. Support personnel will be needed for drop-off, and pick up from your areas(could be family or friends for a small fee), also someone responsible that will know where you and your class is at when in the boonies.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I've plenty of help with the drop off and pick up. Obviously will be carrying an emergency beacon in case things go awry in any situation. Would have to start off with myself as the only instructor because there is no way I would pay anyone to help out in a business that may or may not succeed.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Yeah I've plenty of help with the drop off and pick up. Obviously will be carrying an emergency beacon in case things go awry in any situation. Would have to start off with myself as the only instructor because there is no way I would pay anyone to help out in a business that may or may not succeed.
No offense meant by what I'm about to say. I'm really trying to help you just take a hard look at things......

Has anyone with "outdoor knowledge" (Hunting, fishing, camping, etc.), ever said that they would pay someone(meaning you) to teach them what you know? I ask because that is MOST LIKELY your original client base.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No offense meant by what I'm about to say. I'm really trying to help you just take a hard look at things......

Has anyone with "outdoor knowledge" (Hunting, fishing, camping, etc.), ever said that they would pay someone(meaning you) to teach them what you know? I ask because that is MOST LIKELY your original client base.
No no, I wasn't trying to belittle what you were saying, I appreciate the critique. And as far as the many fishermen and few hunters I've camped with, yes, a few of them have said similar things after I was the one who showed up with a minimal amount of gear and basically babysat everyone in camp. I mean, when we're out I usually am the one just showing people various skills about the outdoors and for whatever reason, that seems to amaze the sheeple. Those same people have said they'd love to learn such things from someone who knows it very well.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Then I think you may have a shot. Good luck!

Oh I never thought you were belittling, not at all. I just didn't want you to think I was, because of the stuff I've been asking. Some might think I was just trying to put obstacles in the way, when there are so many things to consider.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BoldViolet, I appreciate it. Any ideas you can throw my way as far as course curriculum, sites to go to, etc would be awesome.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
ATLPilgrim,
North Ga., eastern Tn. and western NC & SC all have many state and National parks to use for your courses, and they are close to the Atlanta area. Many ex-service members out there to tap for course instructors and staff. I have thought about doing this myself...would be willing to help you w/ any course development and instruction if you need it!
Doc

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
BoldViolet, I appreciate it. Any ideas you can throw my way as far as course curriculum, sites to go to, etc would be awesome.
May I?

Fire
Cover as many as you can - Friction, Optics, flint and steel etc...

Shelter
Again cover as many as possible both With what you may have and from what you have available

water
Where found/acquired, containers, Purification. Tapping Sycamores insures safe water unless it is heavily polluted source it feeds from....etc.

food
Both animal and Wild Edibles.

first aid
Natural remedies available, splints from sticks,staunching blood flow with spider webs, etc...

Land Nav with natural methods (Constellations, solar compass/watch, plants, etc...)

For the first course start with easily identified things, plants that are from a wide range across the US. Simple shelters,water acquisition, food gathering etc..
Intermediate course - Stuff that is more advanced but is still fairly easy, but not overly difficult.
Advanced Class - Self explanatory.

I don't know how much "Abo" skills you know but I think your advanced classes should be geared to where you could be able to survive/thrive with NO outside tools/items. Making your own stone/bone tools,bows, shelters etc.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
May I?

Fire
Cover as many as you can - Friction, Optics, flint and steel etc...

Shelter
Again cover as many as possible both With what you may have and from what you have available

water
Where found/acquired, containers, Purification. Tapping Sycamores insures safe water unless it is heavily polluted source it feeds from....etc.

food
Both animal and Wild Edibles.

first aid
Natural remedies available, splints from sticks,staunching blood flow with spider webs, etc...

Land Nav with natural methods (Constellations, solar compass/watch, plants, etc...)

For the first course start with easily identified things, plants that are from a wide range across the US. Simple shelters,water acquisition, food gathering etc..
Intermediate course - Stuff that is more advanced but is still fairly easy, but not overly difficult.
Advanced Class - Self explanatory.

I don't know how much "Abo" skills you know but I think your advanced classes should be geared to where you could be able to survive/thrive with NO outside tools/items. Making your own stone/bone tools,bows, shelters etc.
Definitely thinking of those and some you listed I hadn't thought of, thanks :D And definitely going to be hitting up some abo skills. Keep em coming. And Doc definitely let me know because I know of many of the areas but any ideas you can throw out would be awesome.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
I think the main problem you are going to run into is what to put where, what you can actually cover in the time allotted, and where to practice which one.

This is just me, but I would cover one or more of each topic at each class. You may even have to expand your class structure.... Beginner, Novice, Intermediate I, Intermediate II, etc... You will have to have "Classroom/instruction" time, and application time for each skill set taught. Just remember - "Prior Planning Prevents Poor Performance". You might want to have a couple of "Trial runs" (for free) of each class type prior to doing it with actual paying students. Maybe a local Boy Scout Troop? They usually LOVE this kind of stuff. They could also give you feedback if you ask.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah I was thinking something along the lines of basic survival, intermediate, advanced, abo classes, and maybe even something along the lines of long-term survival i.e. long-term shelter building (which I feel I'm fairly advanced at, built many a still-standing structure out in the wild), consistent water procurement, trap-building for food, etc.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Here in a few months, provided my rabbits breed and I can get over having to kill them... I can do a demo of butchering a rabbit once I'm comfortable doing it myself.

During deer season, I would love to learn how to dress a deer.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I would start by living in the bush for about six months testing everything you think you know and have read.... make sure you have put your life on the line before you teach somebody else to. I don't want to sound pessimistic but this kind of stuff can be very dangerous... I would hate to be in your first class when you are out in the bush and realize you don't actually know what you are talking about.

can I ask what kind of background you come from that makes you believe you are qualified to manage a group under an emergency life/death situation?

·
Banned
217 Posts
I would start by living in the bush for about six months testing everything you think you know and have read.... make sure you have put your life on the line before you teach somebody else to. I don't want to sound pessimistic but this kind of stuff can be very dangerous... I would hate to be in your first class when you are out in the bush and realize you don't actually know what you are talking about.

can I ask what kind of background you come from that makes you believe you are qualified to manage a group under an emergency life/death situation?
Lol. Yeah, whoever taught that Ed Wardle fellow how to build a shelter needed to try living in one :)

·
City Survivior
576 Posts
I also support these endeavours I have wanted to start something similar here but I lack the experience to be the teacher. I am a great teacher on the subjects I know but I do not feel qualified enough to instruct maybe assist. I'm more of an IDEA man Haha. Although I'm not a big fan of commiefornia here would be a great place to have one since we have barren desert, coastline/beaches, city, and mountains both mid level (5k) and below and high anything above 5k within hours of each other

1 - 20 of 20 Posts