Survivalist Forum banner

Rod or Net

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Both of course! Depending on the place you're seeking fish would depend what to use. I used to use a cast-net when I lived on the gulf, and loved it. However if you fish a place with many "snags", it will eat your net to shreds! For those areas I would go with a gill-net, trot-line, speed-hooks, or yo-yos.

....But only the pole has the "zen" effect!

·
Travel Light
1,532 Posts
As the Inuit call them, 'square hooks' would be the ideal if you are trying to feed a family. You can catch a lot more fish with a lot less effort using nets.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Using a rod takes a lot less effort. You can cast your line and take a seat while waiting for a bite. Also, it saves you from burning useful calories in a survival situation. At least for where I live that is.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
As the Inuit call them, 'square hooks' would be the ideal if you are trying to feed a family. You can catch a lot more fish with a lot less effort using nets.
The net definitely if I am not traveling on foot. Those things are heavy.

Then trot lines or fish traps.

I never could catch squat with a rod.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Both. why risk failing when you can have a better chance with 2 choices. cast the rod and set it up in a tree, then play net while you wait. or use multiple people doing both.

·
Sith Lord
408 Posts
if I am only needing a little food then I would use a rod, if I need a lot then gillnet or trot line, I love fishing and Im best with rod

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have both. My net hammock doubles as a net and I carry fishing gear and make a cane pole while fishing the creeks. I also set whip sets along the banks of a creek or lake.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Thats not the only way to use a net.
True, it is not the only type of net either. But OP asked about "throw nets". In which case the video illustrates. There are also gil-nets which are much easier to use but those you really do not "throw". Thrownets and gilnets have different design features.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have both throw net and rods and gear to set trot lines or limb lines.
also fish gig/spear. attached to a 12' bamboo pole really can stick the big boys that ignore lures/bait and are holed up where a net isn't an option.

·
Bushcraft Enthusiast
342 Posts
Obviously if I could I would take both. Since that was not the question, I would take the fishing rod. As someone mentioned earlier, it is more effective in the calorie game. I also like the fact that it would provide yards and yards of cordage as well.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,889 Posts
Why does it have to be one or the other?

I use a cast net to catch my bait

I then use the bait for my pole

Yes....My intention would to be to use both items in a survival situation so I didn't vote!

Next poll:

Bullets or Guns

Which do you use in a survival situation?

Sorry OP....I couldn't help myself.....:D:

·
Snotbubbles
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ha, come on... :)
Bullets or guns? That's not quite the same is it... Can't use one without the other.
In my scenario, it's either a large quantity of smaller fish or small quantity of larger fish. And the time/energy to gather.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
net , trot line, fishing pole,compound bow with fishing attachment, and the old reliable crank telephone. Going to leave nothing to chance.

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
I will admit I am not much into fishing, but I am willing to learn. It would seem to me that a pole would make more sense. I know that it's possible to fish through ice but you wouldn't be able to do that with a net? somebody clue me in if I am wrong.

·
...all out of bubble gum
871 Posts
Its hard to hold a beer and throw a cast-net at the same time! Thank goodness for the "beer hat".

Just had to throw that in there..............

1 - 20 of 46 Posts