Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have limited funds at this time,as i just finished my main "go to" gun.Looking for a quality bang for my buck unit.I was looking at the Kaito Voyager KA500,any thoughts on it?

·
Registered
22,057 Posts
i'm eager to hear suggestions too

·
Banned
4,937 Posts
I see where you are going with this.
I like this radio with all the schmenkies on it... and it has a good price.

But I would advise something with digital tuning.
Like a Grundig Yatch Boy.

http://www.joesradiopage.com/yb400.html

I have an analog tuned radio similar to the one you want.
They just don't pick up the stations like a digital tuned radio.

The hand crank is a nice feature.
But this is not really necessary.

I'd get a good radio with a small solar cell flat in a case (make it up) to charge the batts.

http://www.jr.com/category/audio/radios/shortwave-radios/

I had a really, really nice SW radio back in the 90's--paid 100 hondos for it.
But I blew it up when I mistakenly plugged the wrong power adaptor into it.

Radio Shack had the same model under their name for a while.
This thing was better than a yatch boy... what was it???

Anyways. Do some internet research.

Oh... if you can find a "TransOceanic" in the transistor version... purchase it, no matter if is works or not.
Preferably find one with the leather pretty much intact. You can easily fix the circuitry in them--there are lots of internet forums and guides to help you out. These are the best SW radios ever.

ST

·
Registered
821 Posts
Grundig digital tune. Shortwave freq and jacks for external antennas. $100.00 from radio shack.

solar panel ($60.00) to power/charge the rechargeable D cells and a cheap aluminum suitcase/toolbox ($20.00) from harbor freight to protect it and keep at the junk together in one place.

·
Registered
610 Posts
The voyager was one of the first things i bought. I use it all the time to listen to the weather. I've never cranked it. I just leave it on my window sill when i'm listening to it, and it has kept itself charged.

good buy for $50 IMO. The only thing i'm not too sure about is how rigged it is. I kept the bubble wrap and keep that on it when its in my pak.

You're local, and welcome to come 'test drive' mine if you want. I'm in bristol/burlington line area.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The voyager was one of the first things i bought. I use it all the time to listen to the weather. I've never cranked it. I just leave it on my window sill when i'm listening to it, and it has kept itself charged.

good buy for $50 IMO. The only thing i'm not too sure about is how rigged it is. I kept the bubble wrap and keep that on it when its in my pak.

You're local, and welcome to come 'test drive' mine if you want. I'm in bristol/burlington line area.
Thanks for the invite,lots of CT people on here!I'm in West Suffield,i have a cpl. friends in your area and go down that way once in a while.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I am looking at my Yacht Boy Grundig YB 400PE right now. This radio is at least 15 years old and still works great. Grundig also makes the ETON radios that have had mixed reviews on this site. I have three of the ETONs. One with SW capability digital tune. I highly recommend any radio you get be digital tuning unless you get a really old tube model for EMP safety sake. All three of my ETON radios are crank and Solar. Be sure to hook up the internal charger battery when you get one of the ETON radios. They don't work well if the battery is not hooked up. In fact they don't work at all on crank or solar.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Should be ok but i always worry about them breaking. See if there are any reviews that talk about ruggedness of the radio.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have limited funds at this time,as i just finished my main "go to" gun.Looking for a quality bang for my buck unit.I was looking at the Kaito Voyager KA500,any thoughts on it?
I use this radio with either a wall plug or by hand cranking and so far have had no issues and am pleased with its performance.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,964 Posts
That's exactly the one I have. Multifunction, multi-powered, it seemed to me to be the best combination bang for the buck.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most of the solar/crank radios have mixed reviews,mostly bad.I think i'll be looking for a quality AA powered unit.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Most of the solar/crank radios have mixed reviews,mostly bad.I think i'll be looking for a quality AA powered unit.
If Kaito still makes the KA1102, that would be a great choice for SW. I have the Chinese mainland version, the Degen DE1102, and I like it a lot. You used to be able to buy Degen radios off Ebay and save a bundle, but I think the company acted forcefully to shut down the gray market in their stuff. I use a Midland radio for weather, the WR100, but the factory settings are too weak to pick up weather radio in some places. You need to open up the 100 and turn the little thingy with a slot on top a little to the right, a tip I picked up on another forum. I did so and it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I really like the Grundig G3,but it doen't have the NOAA stations.I think they'd be pretty important to have???At this point i need TWO radios.One like the G3 for home,car ect..and a small one to fit in a chest rig.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have also thought about getting an emergency radio, but mainly for weather conditions. I think I'm going to pick up a nice pair of two-way Midland radios that come with the headsets and everything. They have the NOAA stations on them and I have a feeling it would be nice to be able to have some sort of communication with me and another person.

·
Old Hounds Smell Good
1,077 Posts
I have the Kaito Voyager and I love it. Sturdy, multiple function, can charge things up using it and super easy to use and tote. Great buy for the limited funds it takes to buy.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts