Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
These pictures were taken up at the camp. My son in law and I were going to check on a Jeep of mine, when TJ almost stepped on this snake. The trailer hitch of the jeep is visible in the first picture.

If you came across this snake in the woods, would you have anything to worry about? The blue disk is the cover of a 35 gallon drum, and is about 30 inches across. The snake was somewhere between 3 - 4 feet long. The drum is NOT buried in the ground. We had a small flood and the water floated the lid down to the jeep.

Date: October 25th, 2008

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
looks like some sort of a king snake, but im not sure. its non-venomous, look at the shape of the head and the round pupils.

·
Proud "Neo-Confederate"
2,124 Posts
Nonvenomous snakes have round pupils, a large smooth cap over the top of the head past the eyes, divided scales on the underside of the tail, no pits and no long fangs.

·
Semper non compos mentis
1,578 Posts
Looks like a Yellow Belly Water Snake (Nerodia erythrogaster flavigaster)

Non-venomous, but with a nasty nature, it is often mistaken for a Western Cottonmouth I hear.

·
Registered
133 Posts
diamondback water snake.. nonpoisonous .. thats my vote and im sticking to it .. we have those things everywhere in this area

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Nonvenomous snakes have round pupils, a large smooth cap over the top of the head past the eyes, divided scales on the underside of the tail, no pits and no long fangs.
Careful Cuz!-The round pupils just mean its not a viper(cotton-mouth,rattler-
copperhead) Coral snakes and other Elapids have round pupils. Of course the chances are pretty rare to run into a cobra or a mamba in Texas, but I would stay up on my "Red touch black-Red touch yellow" ryhme

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looks like an adult Northern/Midland Water snake probably one of the most common snakes in America. It is commonly mistaken for a cottonmouth. We just found one inside at work Monday rare to find one inside and this late in the season. I brought it home and plan on releasing it next spring when the weather warms.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Cool, '06! Nice when someone appreciates gods creatures more than to just smash it and then brag how they killed this water moccasin that was attacking.

for thems as think it is a racer, racers have smooth scales.
bull snakes have a mottled pattern
its the hog nose, not the bull snake that plays dead

·
Jesus, Family,and Country
158 Posts
As far as it looks to me, with out looking it up, I would assume it to be Nonvenomous, but with any snake I would give it its distance, unless I was absolutley sure. Better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts