Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of getting together a survival pack, I am new to this survival stuff, but I am getting serious about it. I am wanting to know what people have in their pack. I want my pack to be 100% ready to go with everything I would need to survive in the wild (northeastern USA) for a week. I.E. clothes, tools, water, food, first aid, radios, etc. Just everything you would have. How much you would want it to weigh, how big, and pics if you got them... Anything would be great.

THANKS!

p.s. I know this question has probably been asked before, but humor me.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Post a picture of your bug out bag, bug out supplies or full survival gear get-up!

Then consult the goog.

There is no answer to your question. Personal preference is a huge factor. The ultra light set will tell you one thing and the gear hungry will tell you something totally different but both can survive; they just do it in different ways.
+1. You will need to take a good harsh look at your regional environment, possible bug out locations, your house, transport, supplies, local ecosystem, your own abilities, training and mind set. Then you assemble the gear, supplies and plan to suit your needs, task and environment.

·
Grumpy Old Man
546 Posts
Remember a bug out bag is only supposed to get you to a pre-stocked bug-out location. An INCH bag is a totally diff. thing. You need to decide which you are going to need!!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember a bug out bag is only supposed to get you to a pre-stocked bug-out location. An INCH bag is a totally diff. thing. You need to decide which you are going to need!!!

Very good advice... Like having another location with a casche?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
By and large the amount of stuff in your pack is inversley proportional to what's in your brain:D:

You need to answer a few questions before considering what goes in your pack:

Have you camped/backpacked before?
Every hunted or trapped?
Any Boyscout or other like-skills?
First Aid training?

Northeast in the winter is pretty rough if you're just out in the back forty. You'll need extra clothes/insulation, decent shelter and ground insulation and plenty of high-calorie foods.

If you can build a debris hut or other improvised shelter, you can cut down on a lot of weight. If you plan on hunting/trapping, you could decrease some of your food weight.

For the amount of stuff you may need depending on your skill sets, get a quality pack...don't skimp or you'll be regretting it.

Focus on the "essentials":

Appropriate clothing
Shelter (don't forget ground insulation)
Water (containers, quality filter, small pot for boiling)
Navigation (compass/maps)
Tools (knife, axe, saw...)
Fire starting (no less than three methods)
Food (light weight/high calorie)
A decent small IFAK (don't forget a good splint and insect repellant)
A good LED flashlight and batteries...
Firearm/ammo...

There are several other areas that you can consider once you cover the basics and balance the weight with what kind of condition you're in...
HT radio (hand-amateur)
Backpacking stove
Binoculars
NVG's
Specific tools

Start with the basics...try them out for a night in the back yard; pack them up and hike with them. Adjust, modify and repeat...

ROCK6

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
it just me saying but i say that you'd probable want the weight 10 20 pounds and for a week in the wild bring extra water and food and a good shelter

·
Registered
250 Posts
Check this site out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/wildernessoutfitters

Look up the playlist called "Pack and Carry". That will get you started. Then start customizing your gear towards Urban and Wilderness systems for your area. You don't need to buy the exact items listed. Just find something that works for your needs and be creative in how you want the kit to work for you.

I personally have a large BOB which is a CFP-90, a get home bag in the pickup (maxpedition Vulture II, and a scouting bag (Maxpedition Versipack). It is a modular system.

I made all of my kits to accomodate winter survival b/c that would be the hardest in my area. Then I added a few things for summer like bug spray to the kit. Then everything else for that kit was chosen for the purpose of the bag.

Don't be afraid to update and change your kit if you chose to only have one bag. Its all a personal preference. How much weight you carry depends on what you need to survive in the enviroment and what you want in comfort. Start making a list. Then review and think about it b/4 spending the money. BTW - I do recommend you spend a little cash on a good well built full tang knife. At least $50-$120 of value. I don't recommend you spend anymore than that.

Consider making a modular system with some basic redundancy. That way you have some backup...and are more likely to have one of the modular packs with you when things don't go as planned. Don't put the exact same things in each bag either. For example: in my scouting kit I have a simple 3 mil plastic painters tarp ($3), 2 heavy garbage bags ($1) and an army poncho ($20) for my emergency shelter. In the Maxpedition vulture I have a 8X12 tarp, and the CFP-90 I have a tent. That way I have less weight to carry (and more likely to have it with me) but more options to choose from as my modular system comes together.

What ever you do...make it practical. A 100#BOB in the closet does you no good when you are on the highway stuck in a blizzard. Good luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts