Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a nice notebook I'm thinking about starting a few practical survival articles on topics I know I'd need refreshing in when the SHTF. I'll be honest, I use this website any time I have a chance and have a question about anything related to the outdoors, survival, preparing, etc. But when the SHTF, obviously this won't be here. So I'm trying to fill this book with topics I know will be useful when things go down. My question is: what topics do you guys suggest for such a book?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i think having a survival notebook is an excellent idea. as for what should be in it...that depends on what you know. if you can make a fire without having to look up how, then you don't need that. if you need some prompting to make a fire, then that needs to go in there. same for building shelter, getting water and food, etc. you can put things like edible plant identification in there, maybe write down locations of caches if you use them, notes on where the best fishing or hunting area is and when, etc. whatever you do with it, it's a great idea and i hope you do it. good luck.
oh, and if you never actually have to use it, you will have quite the cool book to pass on, or at least look back on with fond memories.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great thread! I'm no expert, but just started trying the same thing. Started with writing out overall plans, because I don't always remember what I know when really stressed.

Most basics I can do automatically (my topics: shelter, heat, water, food), after lots of practice, so I'm not writing those down. It's the things that I don't do very often I'm including. So maybe each list will be different?

Self-defense (my last topic) is the basic I don't have as much experience with, so that's going in. Tips and tricks to add to the basics, for comfort and survival. Also some recipes for homemade medicines. Color photos and descriptions of useful plants in my area (food and drink, including sweetness, medicine, cordage, soap, fire). And, the ones that are poisonous.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I think edible plants and recipes are going in, as well as butchering certain animals, preserving, etc, but I will also throw in the basics for those traveling with me who may need a jumpstart if I'm not around or God forbid, gone.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i think you might want to also put in what definitely doesn't work, things you had to learn the hard way. you can learn more from failure than success sometimes.
True that, something as simple as knowing dead leaves can smother a fire can save someone's life, but they also have the ability to be gret tinder if used moderately.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Those are especially great if you don't have a camera or if you just want to take notes along the trail. Often I will find a plant that I don't recognize. While I take a sample, I also write down where I got it.

When you do your dry Get home run, it's a good idea to take lots of notes.

Note where Dogs are, water sources, homes, places to avoid, places to hide, anything you might need to know latter. This would go along well with your Topographical map. Just jot down anything you think is important.

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great ideas, keep 'em coming. May end up doing some sketches of edibles and whanot as well along with a description. May end up with sketches of some of the "hostiles" as well :D

·
Look Behind You!!
1,586 Posts
I have a nice notebook I'm thinking about starting a few practical survival articles on topics I know I'd need refreshing in when the SHTF. I'll be honest, I use this website any time I have a chance and have a question about anything related to the outdoors, survival, preparing, etc. But when the SHTF, obviously this won't be here. So I'm trying to fill this book with topics I know will be useful when things go down. My question is: what topics do you guys suggest for such a book?
What I have been doing is printing anything that looks interesting and puting this in my notebook as a ref. guide. I love it.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Hind sight is always 20/20 as the saying goes.

When ever I take to the woods I try to keep track of what I need, wish I had, or realize I don't need at all.

A journal of thoughts, experience, or even regrets is a great way to personalize your bug out bag and your experience.

I am a minimalist. Which is why I never harshly critique anyone's bug out bag. I believe lighter is better, possibly to the point of being to light. When you've done the Get home bag dry run 3 or 4 times, you start to realize that maybe 5 extra bottles of water isn't to much weight. Maybe the Mp3 player isn't such a horrible concept? Then again when you've went from 75 pounds of back pack to 20, you wonder where the happy medium is. I'm not 20 anymore, and I enjoy eatting to much.

Days latter when the ticks are out of your cloths, you are reassembling or restocking your bag, having a journal would be useful. If not a journal, then at least a recording of some type. Like a journal I have a Video Recorder. It is water proof, shock resistant, and very light. Still though, I'd have pen and paper with me.

Besides being a minimalist, I am also somewhat of a primitivist. I appreciate technology, but I don't want to have to rely on it.

Reactions: survive and goldent

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree. I'm not a big fan of keeping an iPad or Nook selection of all my favorite stuff, as much as I want to. A pen and paper will be there unless it's burned or submerged. When the battery runs out, an EMP hits, a fire burns it or it's dropped, the electronics are done. I think there is plenty to be said for the information you can gather in one outing in the wild.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
I have a Rite in the Rain notepad in my kit. (good, because its waterproofish)

I dont have a lot in mine, but 1 thing i do have that noone else has mentioned yet is GPS coordinates for my house, GPS coordinates for my parents house, GPS coordinates for my last ditch BOL and bullet drop tables for my rifle.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
There are so many great books out there that cover an amazing amount of info.

I personally like this one "DOOM survival guide" It goes much deeper that just wilderness survival. They cover gardening, first aid, and so much more.

http://www.doomguide.com/download.html

The ideal would be to be able to water proof the information. Laminating can become expensive. But you could get the book printed and buy a mess of protector sheets and put the whole thing in a 3 ring binder.

With that amazing resources that are out there, I'd be reluctant to try to re-invent the wheel buy trying to piece together a whole manual in this thread. What might be good is to see what might be missing in a manual like this and seek to fill any voids of information.

Just a thought.

Having things in print is DEFINITELY a great idea. Far too many people have lots of bookmarks in the their computer and all of this valuable info has ended up on their "to do" list, as far a printing it out. I am guilty for that too. Lately, I have started print out some of the ebooks that I have downloaded. One should consider information on their computer almost like having books in a cardboard box floating on water.

Basically, they are safe for now.... but for how long??

EDIT

Here's a list of 10 books that are worth printing out (This list shows up in many places)
http://www.christianforums.com/t7524357/
http://www.activistpost.com/2010/12/top-10-survival-downloads-you-should.html
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/12.10/downloads.html

·
Adventurer
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm guilty of bookmarking things as well, that's why a lot of this info is being copied from those sites as a way to force myself to read them.

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I have one going also...as much for those i may leave behind.
You make a very good point. For those, like us who use this site, much of this info, will be common sense, but for those who got used to the cushy life and have only been used to "instant" everything, they will be the ones with the steep learning curve. Having resources for them, will help them tremendously.

Even for those that are on board with this stuff, we can't possibly know everything about everything, so having reference books will be invaluable!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts