Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sad But True
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was wondering if anyone on here know how to find local outdoor/bush craft/nature activities for someone who is 15?I want to do outdoor activities but no one I know seems to like the outdoors so I want to know how I can meet other people within my age range that like being outdoors.Everyone where Im from in Connecticut either plays games all day or does sports.I am more for the outdoors or "extreme" sports but I do not know where to start,any tips?I tried boy scouts before but in my area they dont really do any camping or outdoor treks.,thanks

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Problem is there isn't a lot of wilderness in your neck of the woods.

There is a REI near West Hartford and another near Norwalk. I'd call them and see if there were any groups in your area. If there are any local paintball shops you could ask there too.

The largest state forests are Pachaug State Forest, Cockaponset State Forest & Nipmuck State Forest. Not any real backcountry but I bet there are some decent hikes out there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
There's PLENTY of woods up here. Have you lived in CT? pretty much 80% north of I84 is rural or has 200+ acres of woodlands at a clip without any major roads going through it.

One place that comes to mind is
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2723&Q=326220

You can't just go there and camp- it's by group/permit only, but perhaps they can refer you to a group that has an upcoming event. I know the scouts and other youth groups are in there all the time as I hike there from time to time and see them.

·
1,583 Posts
There's PLENTY of woods up here. Have you lived in CT? pretty much 80% north of I84 is rural or has 200+ acres of woodlands at a clip without any major roads going through it.

One place that comes to mind is
http://www.ct.gov/dep/cwp/view.asp?A=2723&Q=326220

You can't just go there and camp- it's by group/permit only, but perhaps they can refer you to a group that has an upcoming event. I know the scouts and other youth groups are in there all the time as I hike there from time to time and see them.
200 acres is ok size to play in. Maybe boy scouts will help the young lad.

·
Jack of many trades
134 Posts
If you want something organized, I know you tried boy scouts, but maybe look for a Venture Crew. It's co-ed, and more oriented towards the high-adventure stuff like backpacking, canoeing, etc.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
There is woods. There is little wilderness in those woods. There is a difference when you are truly on your own with not another soul for miles and more than a just a day hike to get back to the trailhead. There is a certain humility that is learned only by being in wilderness but there is also also a magnificence to be experienced.

My point remains valid.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
Connecticut is close to New Hampshire and Vermont. There is some serious backcountry up that way and plenty of hard core rock climbers. IIRC you can catch a short section of the Appalachian Trail in the extreme western edge of CT.

·
Sad But True
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Connecticut is close to New Hampshire and Vermont. There is some serious backcountry up that way and plenty of hard core rock climbers. IIRC you can catch a short section of the Appalachian Trail in the extreme western edge of CT.
thats great im in the west,well south west,I hate southern CT its to urban
thanks for that,it might take a little over an hour to get up there but it seems worth it

·
Registered
821 Posts
Too bad your scouting experience sucked.

Have you talked with the scout office for your region ? they are on the web. They might can steer you towards a Venture post. They are like the outdoor/camping/ adventure type post that most scouts used to be. less doctrine, more hiking.

outdoor fun and games try geocaching. it's free and you get out of it what you put into it. It can be a group activity. One caveat: it is the web, so don't meet strangers this way.

orienteering, hash house harriers, etc. google them, they are outdoor activites.

Try the local college, see if there are hiking clubs, etc.

My HS had a "wilderness recreation and survival class" that was great. Now though its not near as good, no field trips. but you learn a lot and can meet like minded people there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts