Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to make a "Survival Library" and I'm looking for ideas on this. Is the best way to print it and then make a notebook out of it? How would you organize and sort all the different files? How do you know what kind of files you're going to need?
I'm sitting here thinking about it and if I printed out everything I wanted, I would have a huge library!
How did you do yours?
Thanks!
Joe

·
Registered
30 Posts
That's a great idea and something I need to do soon. I would begin with critical elements like food & water procurement, shelter and medical information and then add more detailed stuff from there.

·
Not what I appear to be
2,174 Posts
Pocket reference books are better than printing the info out.
Books such as the Peterson Field guides, ie. Edible Wild Plants, or Medicinal Plants.
Another is Edible Wild Plants A North American Field Guide by Thomas S. Elias & Peter A. Dykeman. This book is a little larger than the Peterson guide, but way more color pictures. :thumb:

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,722 Posts
If you have a computer with all your info and downloaded books then what Jerry said.
Hope people have a generator and/or solar power to be able to use the computer.

But, like usual, I have done things different.

In 1985 I obtained a survival library on microfiche. With a field reader etc. and a 100 plus book library. I have it stored away now but I did read it a lot before I got on the internet.

It is divided into several categories such as shelter, weapons - some of which are improvised etc., food, medicine, etc

I also have quite a few paper books on survival etc.

But the most valuable book on survival that covers almost everything and shows and tells how to prepare inexpensively is this Free book > www.oism.org/nwss

The downloadable file is here > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=77869

·
Always on a budget
110 Posts
A backup computer kept in a faraday cage with thumb drives and CDs of all the important things. Paper books in totes that can be sealed against rodent and water intrusion.
Faraday cage! Good call. I have not heard that term since college physics.

But on a related note, what are some good "how to" survival books out there? I'm not interested in theory books, cause/effect, etc.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
my take on a survial library breaks into diff units for the electric units are great but a books does not need power it just need shelf space

medical breaks down into this areas -x-dental-regular medical --gunshot trauma -trauma -emt books

knowage of how to do books-x-the areas of
--electirc
-solar
-wind
-batties-
-wireing
plumbing knowages
-toliet repair and sink repair books
-spetic system repair
-x-misc areas of repair around -how fix the diff things around the area

pleasure reading diff books for presonal plasure

military tactics
from the time of roman army to now in battle tactics

military history
from the time of the roman army and before to now in people personal history of battles and tactics ..this will help a person understand more about the tactics if they never been in the military ..

gunsmithing
for all the diff weapons you have in the survival weapons battery plus a lot of how to manuals from diff places for repairing of the other weapons that you might find

reloading manuals from all the makers of reloading companys products

shooting
from basic training of a new shooter to advance shooting skills in multi areas from pistol carbine sniper rifle and shotgun

survival
every book you can lay your hands on the many diff survival training guides as you can find

nbc warfare survival
try and find military manuals on this data for it might be a little old but it still usefull along buying anything update that you can get your hands on try amazon books and put into the seach the nbc warfare survival and see how many books comes ..

hunting book-x-how to books
basic how to hunt deer or elk or other game animals in the bol lands ..

bow hunting books -x-how to books about careing and hunting with a bow books

this some of the areas that a survival library should have the basic knowage in

plus iam going to add this one for a person with a family ..

homeschooling programs and books for the diff levels for kids k1-k12 school working ..

·
Super Moderator. I'm helping!
8,779 Posts
If you have a computer with all your info and downloaded books then what Jerry said.
Hope people have a generator and/or solar power to be able to use the computer.

But, like usual, I have done things different.

In 1985 I obtained a survival library on microfiche. With a field reader etc. and a 100 plus book library. I have it stored away now but I did read it a lot before I got on the internet.

It is divided into several categories such as shelter, weapons - some of which are improvised etc., food, medicine, etc

I also have quite a few paper books on survival etc.

But the most valuable book on survival that covers almost everything and shows and tells how to prepare inexpensively is this Free book > www.oism.org/nwss

The downloadable file is here > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=77869
Mike, you never cease to amaze me. :thumb:

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
Don't print everything. It's a waste of paper, time, and space.

Pick and choose what is most valuable to have written down. Even if it means a page per book. Print that and keep it organized in a binder. I'd suggest concentrating on knowledge you can't remember, details that can't be forgotten, and everything to do with the basics.

Don't forget copies of yours and your families' important documents.

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,722 Posts
Faraday cage! Good call. I have not heard that term since college physics.

But on a related note, what are some good "how to" survival books out there? I'm not interested in theory books, cause/effect, etc.
Many threads and posts about Faraday cages in the NBC - nuclear survival section.
I like bunkers and storm / fallout shelters better than so Much info about Faraday cages but it is all good to know.

About survival books is that there are many. The trick is to find the best ones so people will not waste a lot of time and money reading too many books.

There is the downloads section of this board which has Many downloadable books > http://www.survivalistboards.com/downloads.php

I still like the NWSurvival Skills book and people should Not let the Nuclear War part scare them away from this excellent book. It tells how to obtain, store and use water, food, medicine, improvised warm clothing, make a good shelter, which I used those plans to make my underground shelter/bunker etc. > www.oism.org/nwss

It is good enough to repeat since I think this is one of The best survival "how to" books available >

There is also a Lot on a google search but still no all around books as good as the NWSSkills book, imho

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
This board has a huge selection of files for download, so you've got a wonderful library at your fingertips already. Organize by Gardening, First Aid, OPSEC, how to build a shelter, whatever. Whatever makes sense to you so that when you go looking for information you can find it. Good luck, I've been working on mine for a year already.

PS try what you can that you read about so you learn what you're doing and file the rest for reading later.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Contact survival ebooks, he is a member here - http://www.survivalistboards.com/member.php?u=6534

Here is a link to his website - http://www.survivalebooks.com/

Order some of his CDs, and then print out what you want. That is the easiest solution I can give you.

---------------

Besides having a nice collection of electronic books, I have a wide selection of real books as well - everything from medical books to history books, to gardening books.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have thought about the printing and binding idea but after thinking about it for a while I would print so much that it would be easier to just keep a few key books and store the rest on usb drives or cd.

Keep a few hard copies. A few medical, gardening, survival, self sufficiency books at least. Keep the rest stored digitally in a secure manor.

Another option I though of is to gather all the information I feel is necessary and have an online self publisher turn it into a book for you. It would be more compact and sturdy than a ring binder. It may cost you more but you can order just one copy or a few to give to friends and relatives. For most, you download their template and submit it as a pdf. They only print the book when you or someone else orders it so there is no storage or up front printing fees. You have to be aware of copyright laws and only order copies for yourself. I believe most of them allow it to be private or available to the public. Look a Lulu.com. To give an idea, a 200 page 6x9 softcover would cost you about 10 dollars. It's an option.

·
Never Ready Enough
170 Posts
I like mine to be paper, saves on the batteries.

Started way back with inheriting my Grandmothers collection of original Foxfire books,
Mom's Homesteder's bible,

Basic skills:
Survival with style by Bradford Angier
Outdoor Survival Skills by Larry Dean Olsen
FM 21-76 US Army
AF Manual 64-5 US Airforce
Deep Water Lifeboat and Survival Skills US Coast Guard
SAS Survival Manual by John Wiseman
Survive by Les Stroud
Tom Brown's urban and Suburban survival
American Merchant Seaman's Manual
The Zombie survival Manual by Max Brooks
How to survive a Robot uprising by Daniel Wilson
Build the perfect Survival kit by Mcann
The Long Emergency by James Howard Knunstler

Retreat:
The Survival Retreat by Rangar Benson
Building Block Walls, NCMA
Low Cost Pole building and construction
The waterless toilet is it for you?

Medicine:
A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness and Travel Medicine
Various coursebooks from my EMT class
Red cross First aid and CPR books
Greys Anatomy
The PDR Pocket Guide to Perscription Drugs

Food:
Edible Wild plants and useful herbs
Lots of CA specific field guides to plants, trees, and mushrooms
From my Grandfather, 49 North Cooks Wild (Game cook book includes recipies for Raccoon, Possum, and Beaver along with Rabbit, Squirrel)
Hunting the uplands
Guide to California Trout fishing
The Garden Primer
Western Gardening

Special Skills:
Country Blacksmithing by Charles M. Raven
The Big Book of Brewing by David Line

Defense:
SAS Combat Handbook
Combat Handgunnery by Massad Ayoob
The Tactical Shotgun by Gabriel Suarez
The Complete reloaders manual
Krav Maga by Imi Sde-Or
The Naked Edge by Steve Tarani

Law & Legal:
United States Constitution
The King James Bible
The Book of Mormon
The Koran
The Damapada

And many more both practical and for entertainment:

Lots of classic fiction for when the TV and PC stop working...

·
Never Ready Enough
170 Posts
Buy books! it keeps publishers in business and just like ammo can be bartered if a valuble reference. They are self protecting against EMP and power failure. They do need love, and protection from Fire, mold and the general elements and are a bit heavy to Bug out with. Most of all they give you an excuse to turn of the TV, PC, and make your kids sit down and read (Which is a dying skill in its self).
A book won't give you the skills that muscle memory and practice do, but they are a good jumping off point- and protection against desent into chaos.

I have a book just in case of that too:

The Cannibal Lovers Cookbook by Jon Macks

·
With eyes and mind open.
222 Posts
I like hard copies myself. I have one book I have put together. I had it 'spiral bound' at the local Staples for <$5.

As someone mentioned above, the books contain very specific information. My radios are menu driven and I have quick charts in there. I have voltages/% charge tables for 12V batteries in there. Maps of trails around my area. These maps also have notes of edible things I have found on the trails. Basic tune-up info for my ATV. Recipes for my reloads. The list goes on and on. Yes, all this information is in other books and places, but instead of having to carry a dozen book I can just grab my one and go.

If I need to add a couple pages, Staples will usually just punch them for free and then I'll add them to the spiral binding. Also you can get pages laminated and added. I was thinking of consolidating my book, having all the pages laminated, bound and cutting it down to 4x6. This way it would be waterproof and fit in a back pocket.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Besides the excellent recources here I also use:

http://www.scribd.com/ and

http://www.cd3wd.com/CD3WD_40/CD3WD/index.htm

I am fortunate enough to work in the printer/networking part of a VERY large corporation .... so I have printed ALOT (ty XEROX MFD's) and have in 3 ring binders. From agriculture to zoo-ology I try to get what ever I can because once its gone .... ALSO I would recommend you print out the Federalist papers, Constitution and anything else our forefathers left for us to guide our nation and help us retain our freedoms.

I recommend saving to a portable HD as well as printing hard copy. HARD to do if you dont have the recources I know, but if the old lap top dont work ... how will you get all the info?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts