Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a Buck Nighthawk (it was a gift) and I came across the youtube knife destroyer guy. He beat the snot out of it and it held up very well. As a freebie I love it but I am thinking of purchasing a REAL survival knife and am thinking of investing in the Fallkniven A2. As its a High dollar knife, I would like some input on the subject. I am of the thinking that as far as next to food in a survival situation, your next best investment is your knife. Any suggestions/input? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
Fallkniven knives are very good knives. You will not be disappointed. Picking a knife is a personal choice. I have some Bark Rivers I like, so customs that I carry. I almost always have a cheapy Mora in my pack as a back up.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have the Cold Steel SRK, Benchmade CSK and the "A1". The A1 is heavier, tougher, thicker than the other 2 knives, but still awesomely sharp.

It's slightly expensive ($149 at Knifeworks), but what's your life worth?:thumb:

·
CabinBuilder/Author
1,996 Posts
I have one of those Blackhawks. Good looking and usable knife.

Am sure that one you're looking at is good too.

You might read up on and check these two out. They're very versatile when you read all they can do. They even have a little notch in there that is a wire cutter. Many uses only for about the same price. Check e bay

http://getoutsidemore.com/wp-content/images/_tombrown_tker.jpg

·
Registered
148 Posts
Also, take a look at Jeff Randell's RAT RC-6. It's just going to retail this month (mine arrives next week), and Jeff uses his knives in the Peruvian jungle for "field tests".

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have an affection for my SOG Seal Pup. I like the nylon sheath with the kydex liner over the all Kydex version.

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great! Thanks for the input guys! Anyone know if I can take it to Afganistan with me when I'm deployed in the near future? Were slotted for Dec 09 tenativly and I would love security of a good knife at my side.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Proven Reputations:
1. The Ka-Bar, approx. $ 50.00,easy to keep sharp, lasts a lifetime, it's been doing the job since Guadalcanal.
2. My second and last choice---a RAT 7

·
Banned
13,890 Posts
Agree, Mark.
200 will get you either a SykesFairbairn or kabar for defense, and a good utility knife for camping. Knives are no different than guns or cars - a lot of the time you're paying for the name.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
My Becker CU7 was ABUSED in Iraq... Held up good.

A buddy had a RAT7... I added one of those (Better knife IMHO)

Reciently picked up a RAT 3 (From Jeff... support the man insted of ONtario)

THey do well and are (Relatively) cheap

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
SAK- will do all you need to do.

field knife wise im partial to the becker line . but found its to big for most in camp chores, to small for hard work and chopping. a good SAK and folding saw would be a better bet i think. but hey a big sharp knife does look cool right:thumb:

·
Woman Hater
1,074 Posts
Camillus USMC Fighting knife or Kabar wont break the bank and you wont cry over it it you lose it. Fallkniven are the Cadillac's and the S1 or A1 will do well in any situation that arises.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
god i hate it when people chest up about how expensive their knife was. its just being a brand whore. "oh i have the knife that is currently considered to be the coolest" its like being the paris hilton of knives. i have a survival knife for ya. it was 7.99 from harbor freight. i sharpened it to a razors edge. it cuts things, it hacks things. if i lose it, so? if it breaks? so? thats why we have back ups. even the guys with $200+ knives will always carry a back-up. or 2 or 3.

·
Registered
148 Posts
It actually has nothing to do with $.

It's about having the most quality for your $.

If I'm 20 miles backpacking in the woods, I can't afford a POS knife breaking on me in a survival situation. You can't carry 4 back up's everywhere, so we try to have ONE-MAIN sharp, tough, almost unbreakable knife to begin with. Yes, I also have a SAK and a Leatherman too, but you NEED a strong MAIN camp knife.

If you enjoy carrying 3-4 $7.95 knives, more power to ya ;)

·
Dog bites - Owner shoots
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Honestly I didn't know it was one of the most expensive. I saw the abuse it could take and was freakin impressed! As the above poster said ... my family's life may depend on it ... and I dont want it to fail when needed most. Id rather 2 knives and carry other nessisary items than stock up on cheap knives to weigh me down. When the s**t hits the fan, the one chance to get the best knife for saving your life would be gone. I want the best, whether its $5 or $500. Failure is NOT an option

·
Registered
148 Posts
Actually there are some knives WAY more expensive (anything by BUSSE for example), but most survival experts agree that $100- $150 is the bracket for very good TEOTWAWKI knives.

Whether it's knives, tents or vehicles - you should get the most quality you can afford. So that varies from person-to-person.

But, a $400 to $1,000 knife that just sits in a safe is a waste to me.
They're tools, meant to be used.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I picked up a swede mora today at a gun show, the high carbon clipped model, it seems pretty nice especially for the money, razor sharp.

my favorite folder is a kershaw, I think it is the whirlwind model

1 - 20 of 28 Posts