Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Survival knives, how crazy do you need?

i read through threads on here on people looking to buy a knife to use and also to be handy in a survival situation, i am one of these people, the problem is i find everyone always says that we must buy a big mental knife, an the end of the day would something like a Gerber Big Rock to the job?
does anyone else agree we need to list some not so mental knives too?
if i went camping with my mates and pulled out some massive knife they will think i am insane

any suggestions on some less mental survival knives?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I dont guess i know what a "mental" knife is. Most knife designs have a specific purpose. What do you want to use it for? Camping...I suggest a good fixed blade knife with a 4"-6" blade that might be serrated not more then 1/3-1/2 of the bottom of the blade. A company like Cold Steel, Gerber, or even an old Old Timer.

-Nate

·
I love this *****
Very Prepared!!
34,051 Posts

i read through threads on here on people looking to buy a knife to use and also to be handy in a survival situation, i am one of these people, the problem is i find everyone always says that we must buy a big mental knife, an the end of the day would something like a Gerber Big Rock to the job?
if i went camping with my mates and pulled out some massive knife they will think i am insane

You have to use the knife that's right for you and your environment. Do you live in a jungle, a forest, or a desert? Do you hunt big game or small game or do you gather herbs? Do you have large hands, small hands, or medium sized hands? Are you rich or are you poor? What can you afford? There are an almost endless list of factors. You have to go to a shop that sells knives and hold them and get a sense of their weight. I happen to like full tang, stag handled knives with about a 5" blade (bowie style or skinner) made of quality carbon steel. I like a heavy, wide spine and some good weight to the knife.

My three favorite knives in my collection are the Randall Model 27; my Blackjack Model 1-5; or my Bark River one-of-a-kind (slightly larger than the Bravo 1 with a stag handle).

Reactions: wanderer714

·
Grumpy Old Man
546 Posts
Many a Mountain Man did ok with just a 6" Green River butcher knife. That being said, Case makes a 2 bladed folding hunter (one is serrated) that would do just fine!

·
Banned
1,581 Posts

After all the testerone filled chest pounding so common on forums like this one is done the knife you carry that is most useful is what you'll need. That knife will not be one of the newer gee whiz man toys sold today.

That knife IMO is a traditional well proven hard working farmer & cowboy tested 4" closed stockman. This knife is big enough for 99.9% of all chores that will be needed to survive at work or in the wilderness.

Then there is the added bonus that being a traditional knife the public will see a tool not ..........OMG! A KNIFE! :eek:

So while I own the man toy knives as part of my collection they are not what I carry ,or use, since I know the man toys are just zip & flash and no real stuff. A high quality large stockman will never allow you to be......under knifed! :thumb::thumb:

·
Professional Knife Addict
677 Posts
I keep a Gerber Big Rock in my BOB because it's so handy for camping and basic chores, but IMO you should not be caught in the wild with anything shorter than a 6" blade to serve a dual purpose of self defense if need be!

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
Well anyone who has watched "Dual Survivor", would have to agree that for MOST uses Cody's Mora is up to the tasks/paces he has put it through. For less than $20 it is really hard to beat.

Personally though I prefer a Full Tang knife fixed blade of a proven design. If it's so new it has to be reviewed it hasn't been around long enough to fulfill What I call "Dependability Criteria". No matter how tough it or it's materials are, there just isn't enough "History" behind it. Therefore I look to the knives that, historically, have been proven beyond doubt.

Knives with historical provenance(as far as the design/style) are what I prefer.
For instance.....

Green River styled knives....

Nessmuk ran the woods for extended periods of time, and these are the tools he swore by(Modern reproduction)....

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Knives are tools, tools meant to accomplish a job, sow hat do you need a knife to do for you?

If you need it to assist you in making shelter, batoning, or anything else that requires you to hack at something, then the Mora is not going to cut it past a certain point.

The MORA is a great knife don't get me wrong, but you may need something bigger to accomplish other tasks. For meat processing and gutting I use a small 4" blade. Anything bigger is hard to work with to get in small places.

So i carry several blades, both made by ESEE. One of the ESEE-6 and ESEE-4, why cause they are quality blades that will work for me for years to come for whatever job I am attempting to accomplish.

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
Nessmuk ran the woods for extended periods of time, and these are the tools he swore by(Modern reproduction)....

A close look at the tools Nessmuk used will tell all that function was first and foremost which is where all the man toy knives of today fail. A closer look will also show that Nussmuk knew that multiple edged tools are way, way better than just one.

No one handed or auto openers for Nussmuk!!

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts

You'll probably be just fine with a good Buck hunting knife, and a Buck Folder. $100 will get you one of each. Another good option is a KaBar, they're good enough for the Marines.

Or, I know I'm going to get jumped on here....
That new Bear Grylls Gerber with the attached fire starter, sharpener and whistle.

If you have money to burn go buy a $300 knife.

I'd rather buy two Buck hunters, and two Buck Folders, so I have a spare of each (and $100 still in my pocket) than spend $300 one knife.

BTW I practice what I preach. I have a Buck hunter, a Buck Folder, and a KaBar in my BOB.

·
Banned
1,581 Posts
BTW I practice what I preach. I have a Buck hunter, a Buck Folder, and a KaBar in my BOB.
In your BOB? All well and good but what do you carry in your pants pocket??

The knife in your pants pocket is the only one you can really rely on since it's "on you" all the time.

Don't'cha think THAT knife had better be versatile and strong with multiple blades? I ain't talking no one handed auto opener filp man toy either!!!! :headshake::headshake:

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
In your BOB? All well and good but what do you carry in your pants pocket??

The knife in your pants pocket is the only one you can really rely on since it's "on you" all the time.

Don't'cha think THAT knife had better be versatile and strong with multiple blades? I ain't talking no one handed auto opener filp man toy either!!!! :headshake::headshake:
I carry a small Old Timer three blade about 4 inches long and a SAK Super Tinker. Been thinking about moving that Buck folder to my EDC. Wouldn't even get a second glance where I work or most places I go.

And BTW, My GHB is in the truck and that's where the knives I mentioned earlier are. Along with a Khukri. I think of my GHB as part of my BOB, as after I get home the two will be added together.

My truck is always nearby.

If I can't get to my truck it's not TEOTWAWKI, it's TEOTW.

·
Professional Knife Addict
677 Posts
I carry a small Old Timer three blade about 4 inches long and a SAK Super Tinker. Been thinking about adding a Buck folder to my EDC. Wouldn't even get a second glance where I work or most places I go.

And BTW, My GHB is in the truck and that's where the knives I mentioned earlier are. Along with a Khukri. I think of my GHB as part of my BOB, as after I get home the two will be added together.

My truck is always nearby.
Walmart had them on clearance for $15.00. I'd encourage anyone that needs a good EDC tool to pick one up.

·
Patient Zero of WWZ
5,334 Posts
Walmart had them on clearance for $15.00. I'd encourage anyone that needs a good EDC tool to pick one up.
Their only $20 when they are not on clearance.

I lost mine recently and came real close to going with a SAK Boy Scout model.

It's just like the Super Tinker, but it also has a small and very good saw added.

About $30

1 - 20 of 64 Posts