Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting my stepsons and my son a knife for christmas. But I do not want to spend a small fortune.

I found these survival type knives at ebay. I know those are cheap, but that is also the point. If the knife is lost, sold or anything else I am not out a lot of money. Plus I thought about getting one of them for myself to put in my day packs.

Just the fire starter might be worth the price.

Here is a description of the knife.
Quality...Custom Survival knife & Fire starter....features; Magnesium Alloy Fire Starter...Full tang construction...Black Finished stainless steel blade...Heavy OD Nylon Cord Wrapped Hhandle...blade leaght 3&1/2''...overall a big 7&1/2'' long...Custom made OD Nylon sheath with Pocket for fire starter...This is a heavy quality knife...When I saw these I put one in all my outdoor stuff...A real got-to-have item for any outdoor person...n/r...This is very high quality..not junk....GOOD LUCK

Is this a "yes, buy to give away" type of knife, or is it a "No, do not buy for anything" type of knife?? I have my main knives. This would be a spare, "if I lose it, its no big deal" type of knife.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Kev, I actually like the tanto knife with the para wrap.
Not all cheap knives are cr4p, some are well worth the money. The best thing to do is when they are in the hands of the new owners give them a good field test so if they are going to fail on you it happens in the home area and not when you need the knife the most.

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
lanyard hole and loop, drop point, not too big, finger guard (well, dip) to prevent forward slippage, straight edges are easier to sharpen (especially for a new kid), it would probably even make a descent pry bar even if it is poor steel... sheath is not too bulky for hide away storage and it looks like the strap is high up to prevent slippage exposing the blade...

hard to tell from the picture but if the grind is only on one side and there is no blade bevel it would be less appealing as a practice knife. might be able to fix that on a grinder with a little work

for $10 it does not look like a bad buy to me

·
Earthwalker.
10,288 Posts
My friend has one of these knives so i rang him to see what he thinks and he likes it very much,he has also bought one for his son and says they are a good starting out knife.

I wouldn't turn my nose up at it if it was under my Christmass tree and i don't think they will.

also like you said if they lose it its no biggy.:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts