Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Better than a sharp stick, but I think I would go with a full size semi auto. I don't think you are going to be able to hit anything past 20yds with this due to not being able to hold it like a regular pistol to aim accurately.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
I have a few of those. I see it more as a second or third backup gun.
You won't be hunting with the darn thing. It's a belly gun.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
i had one if you want to hit a target touch the barrel to it lol.the only use i saw was to put bird shot in it for snakes.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
For once I agree with FXjohn.

The handgun is definitely a close quarters gun. I would personally like to see a shotgun or shotgun/rifle combo like the Scout. But if you have to stay with a handgun and want it small caliber......

I would think that something with a longer barrel is demanded for any use at ANY type of range. Maybe the classic Ruger Mark III or the like?

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
For what you're advocating I'd suggest a Ruger single-six convertable instead. It's a bit heavier and much larger, but would meet your stated need much better, whereas the NAA mini is a novelty and/or, as mentioned, a deep concealment backup to a real gun... (there are a couple other manufacturers out there doing the same .22/.22mag convertable thing, nothing against them it's just that Ruger is a more widely known name.)

Personally in my bug out kit is a S&W 317 kitgun (3" barrel .22lr). Very lightweight, J-frame size, 8 shot capacity and reasonably accurate out to 25 yds. My NAA mini is a safe queen that I take out every so often to show-off to non-gun people (they're surprised it really shoots.)

Allan

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am in agreement also. The mini revolver is not a survival gun. Better a Ruger Single Six convertible, a S&W model 18 or other quality revolver. I call my mini the "ear, nose & throat gun".

·
Registered
474 Posts
You won't do much hunting with any small .22caliber pistol. It's just not effective. Hunting with a .22 you'd be better off with a scout or something. Short or snub nose revolvers in general are not good for hunting with any caliber. Even hunting pistols have extra long barrels.

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
its better to have this than no gun in a small survival kit. I have one in 22lr only and with practice I can hit a can at 10 to 15 yards. is this ideal for hunting no but it is better than sticks and rocks if you don't have room to pack more. I also carry mine on the beach when wearing shorts and I hardly notice it. Is it ideal for this no but again it is better than not having anything, it may be just enough to get me to the car for a more appropriate self defence tool.

·
Cover your Six!!
450 Posts
i was thinking of getting this to add to a tiny survival kit, or maybe a model like it.

https://www.lipseys.com/itemdetail....volver+Series&model=Mini-Revolver+Convertible

i think a variety of small game cartridges would be a good thing, because .22wmr and .22lr can pretty much handle anything i need it to do to keep me fed in emergencies.

I think the key words here is "tiny survival" kit. IF its a very tiny survival kit, and its goes everywhere you go, then I say hell yeah! Its a great little gun! But only to suppliment my main carry gun.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
Have you seen the belt buckle holster for them? It's kinda neat, I saw a fellow wearing one the other day, can't say he was packing concealed. I asked if his belt buckle was loaded...he just smiled...so I assume it was...LOL

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oddly enough, this is exactly the firearm I'm considering for my BOB. I live in a small city, and I'd imagine that close quarters self-defense is exactly what I'd need a gun for. The added advantage of this gun is it's size. I don't know if you've had a chance to shoot one yet, but they are absolutely tiny. I'm 6' 2" and I can palm one. You can also get both an ankle holster, or a buckle holster. The ability to conceal a firearm could be very advantageous, especially if civilian firearm rights get curtailed.

I would really recommend that you try one before you make a decision. The grip is almost a joke. I hadn't ever shot .22LR out of a handgun, and I wasn't expecting the kick. It's really tough to get a good grip on the gun, and I think that amplifies the muzzle flip. It's also not the most accurate gun ever made. I was shooting at 20 feet and getting the sort of clustering that I'd be embarrassed to tell people about. You can shell out 30-40 bucks for a bigger grip. If I end up getting one, I'm definitely going to pick one of those up.

Post again and let us know if you get one.

·
Fisherman
637 Posts
I have one in 22lr. I was going to get the belt buckle holster, but got the inside the pants holster with a clip. When it's in your pocket, just the clip shows, it looks like a pocket knive. I ususally let the wife carry it.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
Hello! I have had one of these little '5 shooters' (.22 LR ) for years. It's a quality piece. No complaints at all. Just keep in mind it's limitations. Very short barrel, but you can hit with it at short distances with practice. As someone said, a belly-gun. If the size is very limited, but you still want to include a firearm in the kit.. do it. I'd rather have something than nothing! If you're considering a small kit.. maybe think slightly larger and go for something with a longer barrel length for accuracy's sake. If I were to put together a really tiny kit, I'd include the little pistol in a heartbeat though. It's a lot of quality for the price. Wish they'd offer more options in barrel length. Another inch or two to choose from would really add to their line of products. I could see knocking squirrels out of trees with these. May take a few tries. I just may have to try that now! LOL

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am now as always a big fan of the full sized Glock in 10 mm for backpacking. Hard to tell me your seriously thinking a revolver is good defence aginst a bear. Litterally a huge revolver in .44 mag is only going to hold 5-6 shots. A reload puts you at 10-12 rnds. The Glock will perform about as well as a .357 mag with +p+ ammo using jacketed semi-waddcutters. And with 15+1 you can spray the bears head down and reaload to anouther 15 shots really easily. I dont see the real argument here for any revolver in any cal for this task.

·
Registered
247 Posts
North american arms also makes a fold up model. I used to carry one when fishing. Just sold it not to long ago. Nice little unit.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts