Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
****Administrative Note*******

This contest is not sanctioned or approved by the Forum. We are not responsible for ANY issues related to this contest. . Enter at you own risk.

Hey
I'm a uni student studying economics at uni in Australia. I've identified a gap in the market for cheap, high quality survival kits and am looking for ideas/inspiration with the goal of establishing an online business.

I am asking all you preppers/survivalists to post images of your survival kit, with a list of the contents and if possible their brands. There are no restrictions on what you can enter; that means, no price limit, no size limit. 1 kit = 1 entry, max 1 entry per person.

To encourage you to post, I'm offering prizes. First prize: Forcite ammo can survival kit (valued at 150 bucks). Second prize: new Gerber Strongarm knife with sheath (you can pick if you want it to be serrated or non-serrated). I'll pay for the prizes to be shipped anywhere in the world.

I'll select the winners based on contents, final packaging, compactness, quality etc. Comp ends 30 April 2018.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I believe that "cheap" and "high quality" are mutually exclusive.

Nearly all of the pre-packaged, so-called "survival kits" fall into the same category as an adolescent young man carrying a condom in his wallet in the event he is presented with an opportunity. It fosters a sense of false security which prevents the uneducated and untrained from learning essential skills and fieldcraft which would enable them to cope effectively with unforeseen circumstances.

I have posted pictures and of my personal survival kit. A description of contents follows. It would not be "cheap" to mass-reproduce this kit, but it has been used and refined over the years and presents a reasonable starting point for discussion.

Level B – “Kilo Kit” I've made changes to my kit since the picture were taken, so use this list is your own "idea starter:"

Fenix EO1 LED light
4AA battery caddy (recently changed to Fenix E01 and 4AAA to save weight/space)
P38 Opener
Frontier Filter Pro Military Version Survival Straw (I added recently, not in photo)
Waterbag
MicropurTabs (am now using Betadyne)
SnareWire
Military SpeedHook kit
SOLAS approved whistle
Laminated glass Signal Mirror
SERE Compass
GuardianSafetyStrobe
tea candles (2)
3 birthday gag candles (the pyrotechnic kind which don't blow out)
BIC lighter (cable tie under tab to prevent accidental release of butane)
DoanFireTool+striker
Waterproof Lifeboat Matches
Tinder pack
Fresnel lens
Leatherman Squirt
VictorinoxRecruit
Pocket sharpening steel
DermaSafeKnife
DermaSafeSaw
PhotonX-Light
BestGlide WoundPack1
BestGlide MedPack1
Pill fob with 3-day supply of personal meds
QuikClotSport25
Triangular bandage
2 brass blacked bandolier pins
6 assorted cable ties (added recently, not in photo)
20ft.550# paracord
survival kit pouch
snap link to attach pouch to gear (added later, not pictured)

I am fairly satisfied with this, especially its compact size and weight, but it every time I have actually had to use it, I discover tweaks to be made! Biggest change was substituting a 1 oz. plastic first aid kit BOTTLE of betadyne, for the multiple foil ampules and swabs. Doing so saved enough space to include a Frontier filter straw! But because the filter straw is not adequate to remove all biologicals, chemical treatment remains necessary, so betadyne doubles for water purification as well as wound cleansing.

Attachments

·
Registered
916 Posts
So much of what defines the 'best' kit depends heavily on your situation. Someone in an urban environment will need different contents than someone that lives in a rural area. It also depends on the goal - getting home, never coming home, bugging out, traveling, etc. If you're interested here are some links to an article I wrote a while back for a survival kit I carry when I travel:

https://survivalblog.com/survival-go-revisited-part-1-jmd/

https://survivalblog.com/survival-go-revisited-part-2-jmd/

https://survivalblog.com/survival-go-revisited-part-3-jmd/

https://survivalblog.com/survival-go-revisited-part-4-jmd/

·
Ultranationalist
12,878 Posts
In the first pic is the bag itself. Made by Sandpiper of California, internal frame. I think it's actually called their "bug out bag" model, just a coincidence.

Second pic is a military issue poncho and a military issue single-person bug net. It pops open and it's about 7 feet long, two feet wide or so, two feet tall. Basically a tube with a waterproof bottom.

Third pic is my water setup. Liter canteen with cup, filled with water already. Sawyer mini filter. Filter system also has a liter size bag in it. In the little box I have the water treatment tablet bottles standing up where you can see.

Next pic is food. Three Mountain House meals. Sterno folding stove with a Sterno can. In the box I have the Bic lighter and firesteel, the ziploc has dryer lint.

Next is security. Glock 19 with three 15 round mags. Becker BK-2 knife. Military flashlight, I have all the colored lenses.

Next pic has a ziploc with socks and underwear. Also you can see military issue gloves and wool inserts. Protractor, compass (local topo maps are being obtained). Emergency signal mirror. Spoon for the food you saw earlier. A bunch of 550 cord.

Next is medical. Tourniquet, trauma bandages, sutures, needle driver and scissors, moleskin, Ace wrap, N95 mask, etc.

Not pictured is my EDC, which includes a Gerber folding knife. I'm also about to go in there and drop my Swiss Army knife into my BOB.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I believe the OP was hoping for more participation, particularly among currently serving military personnel, recently returning deployed veterans or career outdoor workers, foresters, bush pilots, scientists, etc., who could give the benefit of practical experience.

There is no shortage of barber chair experts, I think he was looking for additional posts more like JBryan314's.

·
¡Salga de aquí!
4,289 Posts
Next is medical. Tourniquet, trauma bandages, sutures, needle driver and scissors, moleskin, Ace wrap, N95 mask, etc.
I have most of these supplies scattered about (minus the suturing) but would love to be able to purchase a similar kit at a not too inflated price just for someone else assembling.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Is this contest over multiple sites or prizes offered limited to entries from Just SB?
My understanding from PMs I exchanged with the OP that he was just doing it here. He is looking for those with "real world" experience, which is why I emphasized serving military personnel in my post. But certainly SAR, ski patrol, and LE having search & rescue experience would be helpful to him.

I think he is just trying to sort out the wheat amongst the chaff...

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,241 Posts
Bogus offer. OP was two months ago and never returned.

No standard school projects cover this type of material. Only grad students get this type of subject freedom. No grad student who was serious would let his research areas sit untended this long. OP was just fishing for ideas in a topic of passing interest to him.

Contest parameters are also too subjective. If it was legit then winning was all about what tickles the OP's fancy.

Reactions: HeavyHauler

·
Ultranationalist
12,878 Posts
Bogus offer. OP was two months ago and never returned.

No standard school projects cover this type of material. Only grad students get this type of subject freedom. No grad student who was serious would let his research areas sit untended this long. OP was just fishing for ideas in a topic of passing interest to him.

Contest parameters are also too subjective. If it was legit then winning was all about what tickles the OP's fancy.
Have you seen the item that the OP claimed he was going to provide? I am also skeptical of the whole thing, but I've already posted my BOB pics on this site twice and on my blog once or twice. If someone is willing to give me a "survival kit" with a Mora knife in it, and all I have to do is repost my BOB pics again, I'll give it a shot!

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,241 Posts
Have you seen the item that the OP claimed he was going to provide? I am also skeptical of the whole thing, but I've already posted my BOB pics on this site twice and on my blog once or twice. If someone is willing to give me a "survival kit" with a Mora knife in it, and all I have to do is repost my BOB pics again, I'll give it a shot!
Yeah, but at some point they will ask for a mailing addy if you win.

I've done online surveys through a confidential specialty company for years now. So recently one of the survey company customers asked for opinion on lightbulb usage. At the end of it the end user asked for some political and personal demographics that I refused to give. The survey customer was a California University and tried to offer a nice box of LED lightbulbs for a fully completed survey. I kept refusing. The actual survey company emailed me and wondered why I didn't want expensive light bulbs for free. I said that giving my mailing address to a Cali intrusive do-gooder university was a long way from free.

In any case, the OP has said nothing for months. So I expect you won't have to face this mailing address conundrum anyway.

Reactions: JBryan314

·
The end is,,,,,
9,970 Posts
But a fine point has been made. There are holes in what we can and cannot purchase. Some things are just hard to come by. That is, unless you have a large budget..

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
3,588 Posts
I dont know why but I just received a request for address verification from Off Grid Ten in a PM here? Dont think it was intended for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts