Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
quiet one
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
been looking around for a jacket for hunting/fishing/ice-fishing/survival/shtf sorta thing. from minnesota wanted to hear what everyone has or thinks would be a good survival jacket or all around jacket. 4in1 jackets any good?
material and resistances to weather?

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
well, i live up in the arrowhead. again, layers. outer, wind and water proof synthetic (polyester is my fav). and make sure the jacket has an inner liner to help trap more air for insulation. first inner layer heavy wool or thick synthetic fleece jacket or vest. next inner layer, medium to heavy shirt, microfiber, cotton blend, etc. under it all, against your body, GI type synthetic t-shirt that wicks away body moisture.
i'm not a big fan of down. prefer the new synthetic fleece and microfiber fabrics as they retain less moisture.
on the less cold days, i have a special vest that i had "made". took a new M65 field jacket with liner, had the sleeves removed on both the jacket and liner. i use it all year. liner in it in winter, out for the summer. very functional and weather resistant, with the big pockets, hood stashed in collar, and the wind flap over the zipper.
for the lower half, i get either wool or wool blend socks that go up to the knees. and, again, i tend to wear cotton blend pants so as not to trap too much moisture. i do have polartec under garments for extended wear outdoors.
here is a link for what i believe is a really good outer jacket and pants that will allow lots of layering underneath:http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/guide-gear-barrage-jacket-black-brown.aspx?a=524667
the winters here tend to be rather long, but very survivable if you're prepared.

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Mine isnt really a jacket its a fishermans multi pocket vest. I have two now, one green with all my survival level 1 kit in it, and the other blue which is for a hotel stay which I've yet to sort out.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you're referring to the 5.11 Royal Robbins 4 in 1 jackets, step up to the 5 in 1! I've got one and I LOVE it. Probably the most comfortable winter jacket (rated to like 30 below) that I've ever come across. The jacket wears well, doesn't bind, and is loaded with some cool pockets! Search the web. 5.11 retails it for around $300.00, but I located mine on-line and new for half that.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
It is hard, if not impossible to have a single "survival" jacket. Usually it would be too hot in the summer or too heavy.

My 1-2 combo is a ECWCS gore-tex parka and a fleece jacket. The goretex is a nice rain jacket and provides some insulation from the cold and wind. The wind is what really gets ya.

Those two will keep you dry in the summer and keep you warm all the way to 0F

·
Threepin'
4,063 Posts
Anything wool

·
Registered
253 Posts
I suppose it depends on where you live. I live in Western WA where it doesn't get very cold, or warm for that matter. I have an old Gortex Helly Hansen shell that is perfect 9 months a year. I am more concerned with staying dry than I am staying warm. If it gets cold I usually add a hooded sweatshirt to it for the layer. If I lived someplace where it was cold (we only get a handful of days under 40 degrees each winter).

I have been wanting to get an M71 in black or OD green.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
been looking around for a jacket for hunting/fishing/ice-fishing/survival/shtf sorta thing. from minnesota wanted to hear what everyone has or thinks would be a good survival jacket or all around jacket. 4in1 jackets any good?
material and resistances to weather?
Personally, I think the army ECWCS has got it nailed down. Get a quality fleece jacket and the gore-tex parka and you're good to below zero temps. The ability to stop wind is the most important from my experience

·
Banned
3,896 Posts
It is hard, if not impossible to have a single "survival" jacket. Usually it would be too hot in the summer or too heavy.

My 1-2 combo is a ECWCS gore-tex parka and a fleece jacket. The goretex is a nice rain jacket and provides some insulation from the cold and wind. The wind is what really gets ya.

Those two will keep you dry in the summer and keep you warm all the way to 0F
Agreed. ECWCS outer shell, fleece jacket mid-layer & wicking base layer.

Civilian gear: Carhartt, cotton/poly blend hooded sweaty shirt, wicking base layer.

Extreme cold (below zero): substitute Carhartt with goose down coat.

For purely survival gear, I'd go with proven USGI GEN II & III Gear.

I cannot stress WOOL WOOL WOOL enough, especially for socks, gloves, hat & scarf.
For me, a warm hat, gloves, socks & gator do wonders to keep me warm.
Everything else is just for wicking & windbreak.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I got a civillian remake of the marine core jacket, only problem is its desert camo, water proof, light, warm for most california weather, I keep it in my urban bob.

For day to day (when I need it) I got a nice fleece jacket from costco.
Wool is good, water proof is good, a couple of inner pockets, gortex is good, and something under 150 bucks.

If you can fins one like that, ill give you some nude betty white photos as a thank you!
Mmmm ggmilf

·
Oregon Survivalist
1,786 Posts
breathable shell, and fleece/wool/polypro' layers are the best way to go jackets that have sewn in polyester batting liners are worthless when soaked through, and leave a cold surface against the body to rob it of critical warmth, these types of jackets are okay for short forays outside to go to school or work when they will spend the day drying out in a heated building before their next use. I have had the sad misfortune with working with wet/cold and in some cases pre-hypothermic boy scouts and explorers over the years as they have learned hard life lessons about proper gear in wet/cold conditions, Hope this helps

·
Roosevelt Conservationist
110 Posts
Having lived, hunted, and backpacked over a pretty good portion of North America, I have found that you really just need to let the conditions determine your clothing. Hunting or backpacking in Alaska in the fall, when you could have a range of temperatures from 80 degrees as a high, or 0 as a low, layering has been my mantra. I wear an underarmor cold gear undershirt and a wool button down over that. From 40 - 60 degrees, I am comfortable in this while moving, adding clothes when I stop, if needed. I carry with me a high quality Columbia DWR that also serves as a wind block, and when it gets really cold, I put on a down vest under the DWR. In all conditions, I have a wool hat and synthetic gloves available.

Duck hunting, on the other hand (my other passion), I wear a Columbia 4-in-1 over the same Underarmour shirt and wool button up. Duck hunting is a different animal in that you are usually stationary and, if you are lucky, the weather is terrible. In those conditions, the wet insulating properties of synthetic insulation and reliability of Gore-tex make a 4-in-1 well worth it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts