Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Young Blood
2,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so mysurvival/ Get there bag/ camping gun is an Auto 5, hunting and self defense are the priorities.

the only problem is i can not get buck shot ( dad sees no need for it)

I can get slugs, and any bird shot for birds, but i only have 7 rds of buck shot, what should i do?

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
Ok so mysurvival/ Get there bag/ camping gun is an Auto 5, hunting and self defense are the priorities.

I can get slugs, and any bird shot for birds, but i only have 7 rds of buck shot, what should i do?
Get what your father allows bird and slugs and when your 18 then worry about buckshot. No use going against your parents it will only lead to you losing the priveledges and trust you already have with them.

·
Premium Member
14,420 Posts

dont worry about the buck pugs,learning to hit with the slugs at extended ranges is far more usefull.......

·
Registered
9,117 Posts
If you're worried about the NOW, then get some BB loads unless you can find some BBB, T, TT, F (called transitional shot)...at 10, 15 yards, they'll seriously cause the target some pain...

American Diameter
Sizes........ (inches)

0000 buck….0.38
000 buck…...0.36
00 buck….....0.33
0 buck.…......0.32
1 buck…...... 0.30
2 buck…...... 0.27
3 buck…...... 0.25
4 buck…...... 0.24
F…...............0.22
TT………… .... 0.21
T…..............0.20
BBB…..........0.19
BB…............0.18 (.177)
B…..............0.17

·
Registered
450 Posts
The problem with the restriction in shot size available to you is the limitation of range except for the use of rifled slugs, which have limited application and frankly after many years of getting pasted with the recoil of a 12 gauge using rifled slugs, I am trying to break the habit. I suspoect your father, who seems like a level headed type of guy, knows that your firearm education should have included a good .22 LR or .22 Magnum rifle. You could try seeing if he would get you one of them. A good .22LR will give you about 80 meters of effective range and a .22 magnum about 120 meters. The long rifle will give you better efective range than buckshot and the magnum lots more effective range.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Pugs, when I was your age I was squirrel hunting with a slingshot. You've got it pretty good so far.

Seems everyday a 19yr college kid freshly released from nest is asking a bunch of basic questions on his 1st new toy. You're quite a bit ahead of that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can also get low recoil slug rounds if you feel the need. Federal has a good round in the LE127 line. They aren't quite as accurate at 100 yards as the full powered Federals... but are just fine at 50 yards at about half the recoil.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
If I had owned an A5 and a box of #6 when I was 15 I would have been in hog heaven!

I have a 10 round box of 00buck that has been in the safe for 15 years. Buckshot is not a must have item.

I have seen deer killed with both #5 and #6 shot. In spite of what some say, do not underestimate bird shot at close range.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I agree with pretty much everything that's been said thus far.

No need to go and screw up a good thing like having a father that trusts and respects you enough to let you have a shotgun, by going behind his back to a few shells of 00 buck that you may never need.

Besides, if TSHTF, harvesting game is likely to be your number one priority when it come to firearms. Birdshot and slugs will allow you to kill pretty much anything. Even predators of the 2 legged varity, if it came down to that...

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
1: Until you're 18 and out of the nest, listen to your parents.
2: The slugs and turkey/goose loads (T on down to #2's) all work fine.
3: Forget any thought of reduced or tactical loads, it's an Auto-5.
The long recoil system doesn't work for snot with them.

There was a very good article by Clint Smith in 'Handgunner' (IIRC) a while back that specifically related to using "granddads scattergun" for defense. He went so far as to shoot various wall material with shot through buck and slugs. Well worth looking for.

I'll dig it up and post the issue information.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Up close and personal, bird shot (even no.8's) will make a terrible mess out of a human being. I know this from personal experience, having had a patient come into the ER with a load of no. 8 bird-shot mid-abdomen. I've seen some on here argue that heavy clothing will stop bird-shot, it certainly didn't help that idiot much. He tried to hold up a Mom & Pop Gro. store, and Pop let him have it from about 30 ft away with a Mossberg 500 with an 18 in. barrel. This kid (22 yo) was wearing a t-shirt, heavy shirt, pullover sweater, and carrhart coveralls (it was about -20F with a wind-chill approaching -40 at the time). The shot punched through all of that, with most of it embedded in his back ribs and spine. Unfortunately for him, he didn't die immediately, all that dirty clothing that was carried into the wound caused a massive infection. Because there was no way to get it out short of gutting him like a fish, he died about two weeks later without ever regaining consciousness.
MC

·
Set Free
1,352 Posts
Picked up another box of 15 00 buckshot for $9.47 and 100 rounds of #6 for $22.49 . Everytime I go to wally world I always get a 15 round pack of 00 buchshot for the 12 gauge and when they have the 100 packs I usually grab them. Now if I could get the 00 in a 100 round box for $22.49 that would make me happy:thumb:

Now I can run some rounds through the 12 gauge as it been awhile 1 1/2 years since I shot the 12 gauge. I go to the range regularily with the 10/22 and my pistol.Hopefully my shoulder holds up.:eek:

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
What's the penalty if you get caught with buckshot? See parents often times don't indicate that going in, and they're suppose to be preparing kids for real life. Real life has rules with a penalty attached, example if I choose to fly down the hwy at 90mph and get caught I have an idea what that will cost me. If you knew going in on this what the penalty was if caught, then you could make a more enlightened choice as to whether it was worth it.
The above is all kind of a joke and my suggestion of course would be obey your father regardless of whether or not you think he is right and regardless of the penalty.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.