Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
In my last thread, Nomad, 2nd said I need to make it a little longer, so here I go.

For April 2017 I decided to focus on rechargeable USB devices. Rather than going with a large 12 volt panel, to a charge controller, and then to a battery, I decided to go dabble in a solar panel that has USB outputs.

My next solar project will to have running water in the house when the power goes out. This will take a few months to put into play. For right now, I wanted a way to recharge flashlight batteries, cell phones, AA/AAA batteries... etc.

What were your survival gear additions for April 2017?

Here are mine.

20 W foldable NekTeck solar panel.

Sunjack USB AA/AAA battery recahrger.

Xtar VC4 battery recharger. This thing charges more batteries than I have ever heard of.

Kaito voyager emergency radio.

Smiths pocket pal knife sharpener

Thorfire camping lantern - there is still time to sign up for the contest , winner will be picked May 1 http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=708026

Nameless Towns, Texas sawmill communities by Thad Sitton and James Conrad.

Eight AA rechargeable batteries

May 2017

May 2017 will probably be a battery pack, another radio and "maybe" another foldable solar panel.

I really need to put some time and effort into fencing off a few acres for goats, sheep and maybe some cattle. It has been a month since I have cleared any brush for the fence.

·
Fenced In
3,401 Posts
I've held off on any substantial additions so far, as I have plenty of changes coming up. First, I need the weather to cooperate so that I can get my potatoes planted. Last year was very disappointing in terms of quantity, also due to uncooperative weather. I've never experienced any significant damage caused by the elements, but a couple days of strong winds and several more of heavy rain wiped out many of my potato plants.

Last weekend, I finished a project I started last fall, consolidating my firewood supply using the metal/wood stands that I was apparently the last to find out about. I love these things! Now, I need to improve my limited storage capacity for other equipment and supplies, ideally by putting in a shed. However, that may have to wait because . . .

In a couple of weeks, we will have a new addition to our family when our second child arrives. Our daughter (almost two years old) quickly acclimated to eating what Mom and Dad eat, which makes food preparation/storage much easier, but going back to having a newborn will mean revisiting some of the extra challenges.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
We've got so much cloud cover in the UK that small solar powered technology isn't very viable and takes a long time to charge.

You see some houses with big solar panels on the roof (the government gave subsidies for installation) but they're plugged into the grid and aren't for self sufficiency, the electricity companies pay you if you consume less than you give. So they're no good for SHTF.

10 years ago I bought my parents a wind up lantern (from the outdoor shop Blacks for 30 quid) that still works good.

I always watch your new youtube videos and give them a like. Love your new dog Buster "Buster, leave them chicks alone!" :D: your a good man for taking him in.

Wind up radios are something I've got to buy for my extended family.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I always watch your new youtube videos and give them a like. Love your new dog Buster "Buster, leave them chicks alone!" :D: your a good man for taking him in.

Wind up radios are something I've got to buy for my extended family.
He had a hen cornered this afternoon. I yelled at him "No" and grabbed a stick.

He tucked his tail and took off running

·
Business Owner
2,991 Posts
So far in 2017,

I got a new invertor generator to supplement the big LOUD generator when I don't want to let everyone in the North half of Texas know I have a generator during an extended outage. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this new generator. It is a Duromax XP2000IS. It is quiet, powerful and very fuel efficient.

I wired in a new input connection and transfer switch for the new generator to run the loads needed without having to run extension cords.

I wired in a 12 volt input connection from the new generator to charge my house 12volt batteries.

I began converting all 12 volt connections to Anderson Power Poles.

Found Winco!!! Stock up on bulk foods, and prepper foods weekly there.

Added a new laptop to work truck, with automatic backup of files from server to it nightly.

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Community.

This past weekend I did a boil with 105lbs of crawfish and 60 lbs of shrimp.
Had 24-30 people over for what turned into a 2 day event.
More people getting to know more people....

Naturally I made/canned seafood stock, but I put that in the "living" catagory more than "prepping" (just like my canned gumbo ....which serves both)

I DID get 4 more game cameras I scattered around. (I'll go to a WiFi system when I get better internet out here.)

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This past weekend I did a boil with 105lbs of crawfish and 60 lbs of shrimp.
Had 24-30 people over for what turned into a 2 day event.
More people getting to know more people....
Outstanding!!!!

:thumb:

·
Registered
979 Posts
Last week I found a Renogy 100 watt solar panel on craigslist for $120. I now have it as part of my preps. Hurricane season is coming again. I will be more ready than ever.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I live in two places, city during the week for work, farm on the weekend.

Eventually I will transition to the farm full time to live with my boyfriend-need a job there as I don't want to drive 100 miles a day and I need to sell my house. Slowly moving preps at home to the farm. I'd say I have about half of them moved. Boyfriend isn't a prepper but he has the mentality for it and doesn't seem to care what I do, except he put his foot down and I can't have any critters until I'm living there full time and can help with the work.

Working on starting a medicinal herb/flower garden on the farm...buying some new plants, but transplanting a lot that I have in my yard.

Canned deer a couple of weeks ago, learned and helped make dried deer, Oh my goodness is that awesome. I've been taught how to make jerky, sausage, but the dried deer is the best. Neighbor near the farm offered to take me turkey hunting, seen quite a few last weekend mushroom hunting but didn't get any.

Hoping to get the garden planted this weekend, its supposed to rain all day Saturday so maybe not. Oh, drove the old tractor last weekend for the first time. He has a couple of them and they will survive an emp..one he has had since he was a kid, the other one he just bought with a partial loan from me. I don't think he expected me to be quite so excited over this ole tractor.

·
Registered
7,286 Posts
I am actually assembling and "polishing" my 2017 list right now.

Some stuff I thought I needed last year is off the list while other things I had not thought of are being given a higher priority.

I make such a list every year. At least half of it is usually "dream stuff" that is only going to happen if I get an unexpected windfall. Most of those items are being saved for (some of them have been getting money put aside for years, then some emergency comes up, rinse...repeat...).

I usually look at my list and figure if I get 60% of it done in a year, I did pretty darn good. More than that (I usually manage better) is just plain sweet.

Reactions: kev

·
Registered
3,609 Posts
I think I'm going to get a Honda EU2000 or the like to supplement my large Honda 6500. I just want something small and easy to move around for those short annoying power failures that last a couple of hours and don't warrant hauling the big generator out.
They are slick and very quiet little machines, just under $1000. Also I see a propane conversion kit which would be great

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
No biggy to most of you guys, but I've ordered myself a fire stick and plan to learn to use it. I'm trying to turn the trunk of my car into a BOB, so gradually adding items there. That's about it so far.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts