Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone,
im looking to put together a small survival fishing kit, some hooks, sinkers, line etc etc. i went to a couple stores today and looked around and realized that i really am out of my element when it comes to fishing aka i dont know much :eek:
so im wondering if anyone has some advice on what kind of hooks sinkers line( specific names, sizes etc) i should get to put in the kit
thanks a lot
Kid_M

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,997 Posts
Think small:
small bream hooks
bb split shot weights
small floats
braided line in the 30#test range(same size as 8#mono)

small lures like beetle spins, inline spinners,..1/16th in weights.

For a true emergency survival fish catching item, get a small pocket gill net.
Just remember, they are so effective they are illegal in most places.

·
Registered
73 Posts
For my fishing kit I got hold of a pill container, the kind with multiple compartments, (like 4 or 5). Then in each compartment I would put either the hooks, sinkers, flies, etc. To hold my fishing line I wrapped it around a sewing bobin, and dropped it in one of the compartments.

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
Man its really kinda hard to say as it will depend greatly on where your fishing, ie..Lake, River, Ponds, Trout Streams or the Coast Line.

I think that Czech is pretty much on target with his suggestions as that would always be a good starting point. Bream/Perch are almost always available in just about any freshwater body of water and are fairly easy to catch. That same tackle recommendation will also net you if your lucky small bass, catfish, crappie and several others that are pan sized.

I do a lot of fishing from my Kayak. I have purchased a couple of those Tiger Spin outfits from Wally World for 19.95. Its not something you will find on the Pro Bass circuit but its a lot of rod for the money. While they arent the first rod I reach for when fishing I usually have a couple set out with live bait per chance I will be rudley interupted while casting around with one of my other outfits. They work well for Crappie, Catfishing and tossing lures/live bait to Sand Bass.

I realize that was more extensive than you wanted to get but thought I would toss that out there anyways...

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
If you are not using a pole in your kit, it can be very small. I would say that 8lb test line should be more than enough for most use. A few different sizes of hooks. From my experience, it's better to error on the small side for hooks. A big fish can bite a small hook, but the little ones will just nibble the bait off the hook if it's too big. Some split shot sinkers, would be nice too. maybe toss in a small lure of your choice for times when bait is scarce, and that should do the trick.

·
Registered
200 Posts
dun put braided line into fishing kit.. once tangled up.. it immpossible to untangle.. use mono... but keep it out of the sun.. mono degrade over time when expose to UV..

a neat way of storing fishing line is to wrap it around ur tin or box where u keep ur hooks n stuff..

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,997 Posts
The type of line can be a personal choice. Both have advantages and disadvantages. You can use what you are more accustom to working with, but here is my reasoning for choosing braid:
New Braids such as Power Pro
Advantages:
1. Higher breaking test for same dia. of mono.
30lb test Power Pro same dia. as 8lb mono
Less wind resistance and strong enough to horse a big fish out of heavy cover.
More abrasion resistant.

2. No stretch; which makes it more sensitive to detect strikes and to improve quicker, harder hooksets.

3. No memory,.....it won't Shirley Temple(permanent coils) on you like some mono's will with age.

Disadvantages:
1. more expensive

2. Being thin and very strong,....it will cut you like a knife if you have to hand line a fish in without a glove.

3. Professional over runs(aka backlashes) are a little more dificult to undo.
worse with baitcaster,...less so with spinning reels

Premium Mono's (Stren, Trilene)

Advantages:
1. Castability, the stretching/flexablity can improve the cast distance.
2. easier knot tying
3. less expensive

Disadvantages:
1. Line memory, shorter long term storage for usablity, and any microscopic nick will greatly reduce it breaking test.

That said, I still use Stren mono on all my Shimano baitcasters.
But a few years back I switched to braids for all my spinning reels.

But for a survival fishing kit without rod/reel, I would choose braid for the easy to find, south of the border type spinning reel (aka pop can or bottle).:D
Some of those guys can get amazing casting distances with those cans.:)

·
Elitist Gun Snob
1,365 Posts
One thing I will highly recommend in your tackle kit is white plastic worms. These can be cut into small segments and chunks and used as 'maggots' or 'grubs' which are something that once imitated, have caught almost every conceivable type of freshwater fish. By using the worms, you have a starting point of a large piece of bait that can be readily reduced in size to fit your needs. I carry 12 of them in a ziplock baggy. This way I always have 3 for bass and the rest for customizing in size. The other clever thing about white plastic worms is, if you can find sharpie markers, you can customize them. I know it sounds cheesy but it works!

·
Read Only
251 Posts
I recommend the red hooks as they don't rust as easily. Mine are trout/perch size with a few bigger ones thrown in for trot-line use. I also include nylon twine in black or green for trot-lines. 20 lb test mono, about 100 ft. However, I'm still trying to come up with a spooling system as I don't carry a rod and reel. On my 3 day bug out test I just coiled it up. WHAT A NIGHTMARE. BB sized sinkers in non-toxic are great as they dont corrode and prolong the shelf life of your kit. Throw in a couple of swivels for good measure.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wanted to thank everyone who posted here, all of this information is very helpful.
I bought a couple supplies for my kit and am satisfied for now. perhaps next time i drop by the store ill get some more stuff
Thanks again everyone!!!
Kid_M

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Use braided line - get some sewing machine bobbins - get someone who has a machine to fill them with the braided line.

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
I keep my "kit" in a plastic chip tube (pringles) which i also use as a reel. Inside the tube i have several plastic zip baggies containing hooks, sinkers, a bobber, lures (i troll from my sailboat as well), and a piece of surgical tubing. I wrap the line around the outside of the tube. As a side note, you can use the tube to hold bait, either partially fill it with water for minnows, or to hold crickets/grubs/flies/whatever your bait is.

If i'm trolling or freelining from the shore i tie a loop in the line and attach the surgical tubing to set the hook on a strike. It works for me, i've never lost a lure, and usually catch something.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
hey everyone,
im looking to put together a small survival fishing kit, some hooks, sinkers, line etc etc. i went to a couple stores today and looked around and realized that i really am out of my element when it comes to fishing aka i dont know much :eek:
so im wondering if anyone has some advice on what kind of hooks sinkers line( specific names, sizes etc) i should get to put in the kit
thanks a lot
Kid_M
I built some "pocket" fishing kits based on the below:
For a container, I used round metal York mint tins that are selling at walmart.

I used two weights of braided fishing line. One was about 15# the other about 50 - 60# test.
I spooled them on different bobbins and put them in the kit.

Look at the list below to get an idea.

This is where I got the list from.
http://www.bestglide.com/survival_fishing_kit.html
Contents

Manual - Fishing Tips and Instructions
Jig - (1) 2" Swirl Tail Grub
Jig - (1) Tiny Shad
Jig - (1) 1 1/2" Tube Jig
Spoon - (1) 1/4 oz.
Bait - (8) Salmon Eggs
Fly - (1) Size 8
Fly - (1) Size 10 1/8
Desiccant - (1) Moisture Absorbing Packet
Razor - (1) Folding Razor Knife
Hooks - (2) Treble
Hooks - (3) #4
Hooks - (3) #6
Hooks - (3) #8
Leaders - (4) Wire Wound Leaders
Split Shot - (4) BB
Split Shot - (4) 3/0

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I'd go with the braided line. It wont get brittle like mono, and you can also use it for strong snairs, cordage, ext. I took a goodly length of braided line, and wraped it , and kept wraping arount my three fingers. I ended up with a three inch coil. I colapsed the coil to make it flat, and then wraped a piece of duct tape arount it, resembling a caterpiller. You can also add some small hooks and split shot. Easy storage and no tangles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just found a couple of interesting options. One is the "pen" rod kit. the link is at http://www.gofastandlight.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=395&category_id=60The other is from one of my favorite reel makers, Shimano. Now, you can look for "survival fishing kits" online and you will find a sardine can with some line, sinkers, swivels, and maybe a bobber for $25.00.

Here is a rod and reel kit,very small and light weight for about 20 bucks from Amazon.com.
http://www.amazon.com/Shimano%C2%AE-Rear-Spinning-Combo-Fishing/dp/B000P15ZMC

I haven't tried my local Wal-Mart yet, but the way things are packaged it would be hard to go buy a dozen items for less unless you already have the extras on hand.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I'm out the door now headed to a not great but beautiful fishing hole. If you don't know about fishing ask a fisherman to tag along. [I[/I] would welcome company as would most 'fishin fools' like me. So far this year I have taken my nephew and several neighbourhood kids out .If they are under twelve they don't even need a licence. most of us have plenty of gear so you don't need to spend money at first.

If you are in NE georgia em-me i'll take you and show you the basics.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.