Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a cool survival fishing kit that is cheap and easy to make? I already have a commercial kit in my pack but I am curious to know what other people have.

·
El Cid, I hate hippies.
213 Posts
Ranger Ricks

I picked one up at therangerdigest.com with a mini survival kit. They have nothing special, but enough to cover me for a day or two on my property if trouble arises while I'm hunting.

·
Opinionated old fart.
8,046 Posts
A yo-yo is an excellent way to get fish with minimal effort. I heard tell of a guy who modified one to possum fish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I`ve always found you can take most fish on a simple ledger rig, so all I have in my kit is a small spool of 6lb or 8lb mono, some hooks(size 4/10/16), and sometimes even a few weights but you can put in small elastic bands and use stones as sinkers instead...
(This fits into a standard UK bank coin bag - 5"x4" but folds back over on itself to close).

Bait up with a worm/grub/stickleback and wait for the action !!

·
VA / NC
12,688 Posts
Good info caldonian - first fishing rig I ever had consisted of what you carry with the addition of a small sapling that was cut from the near by woods to use as a pole. Caught more on that cheap rig than I usually do with expensive rod and reel combo's.

·
Behind Enemy Lines
776 Posts
I've got a fishing rod that folds down. It came with a small tool box. 5"x3"x3". Not measuring, but thats about how big it is. Came with hooks and small fishing essentials. Extra line, weights, hooks etc. Pretty cheap too. Light, doesnt take up much space. Pretty good survival rod if you need one.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i just have a spool of some fishing line, and a little airtight match-holder with hooks in it. anywhere near where i'm at i can find suitable sticks to make rods out of and bugs are never going to be a problem to find.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I use an old drill bit holder that has about 40 feet of spiderwire wrapped around it. Inside are a bunch of small circle hooks, some small sinkers and a few snelled hooks with spinners. The driil tube doubles as my reel and the hooks are easily swallowed, as I plan on eating anything I catch, the need for catch and release is negated.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
where are you keeping these "kits" and does a casting rod and small tackle box really take uo that much room? I have a few short ice fishing rods but many poles come in sections. or is this another life in an altoids box fantasy?

·
Registered
801 Posts
What do you mean by "survival"? If it's gear you can fit in a pocket that's one thing but If you want to fish efficiently buy a ton of snelled hooks and make yourself a trotline; it can be a floater or sinker.

·
RESET CONGRESS!!
9,462 Posts
I agree with Raptor. If it's for survival, set trotlines. You can carry enough hooks and line to make a couple , in a very small package. Keep it simple. Other than hooks and line, you can pick up anything else you need on the trail.
Have a Merry Christmas.

·
I help enlighten folks
16,624 Posts
Is there anything you will not bitch about.
actually I'm happy I found about that gill net...that's pretty cool.
I was thinking about making a collapsible fish trap, or buying one.
:D:

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I got an old Zebco 33 on a cheap 2 pce. spincast rod behind the seat in my truck and an tackle box that fits under the seat. Nothing special but it does the trick.
Its hard water fishing now though. Yippee! I love perch through the ice. Perch eyes make the best bait or a little raw venison soaked in anise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
another thing to add, possibly useful

Two items to add just in case you lose hooks, etc.: A small tin or plastic copenhagen container with extra line and hooks; redundant yes I know but a back-up none the less and a round piece of foam for a floater at the bottom. The foam can be bent, rolled or closed off even to gain further reserve buoyancy.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
Two items to add just in case you lose hooks, etc.: A small tin or plastic copenhagen container with extra line and hooks; redundant yes I know but a back-up none the less and a round piece of foam for a floater at the bottom. The foam can be bent, rolled or closed off even to gain further reserve buoyancy.
If you use a small pill bottle you can use the bottle as a float. I've found a few small hooks, 15 feet of line and a couple of small lead sinkers are just about right for crappie and it all fits with room to spare in one of those chapstick sized Bayer bottles. :)

·
I come in peace..
1,285 Posts
I saw a shakespear 4'6" or something rod at sports authority. I thought it was ideal to put in my bob/ camping bag. It will retract down to about a foot and a half and fit in the bag I think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts