Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just found this awesome piece of gear and thought that it has to be a must have for just about any bob. the versatility of this thing from catching fish to small game i think is invaluable so i thought id share. also was wondering if anyone has used one and has any tips on best ways to employ one for either fishing or trapping.http://thekeytosurvival.com/storetitles/foodprocurement/gillnet.html

·
Feuer Frei!
1,811 Posts
That thing is actually pretty cool. In a survival type situation I can defiantly see how valuable it would be, mainly because it would be much less effort then regular fishing.

·
Registered
8,463 Posts
Illegal In Most States

As it indicates in the ad ..... illegal in most states for fishing ..... SHTF conditions only ....... I know lots of asians use the gill nets around the Great Lakes area and are getting fined big time ...... probably a good idea to keep it buried deep in your BOB or BOL .......

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,997 Posts
I've never seen one in use, How does one use a gill net? is it large opening at one end that the fish swim into?
They are set up taut like a tennis net across a stream or river, fish try to swim through it and get their gill entangled. As mentioned above they are mostly illegal.
Pilots survival vests in the Nam era had them in them.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gill nets are still carried by some pilots and gill nets that are sold for the purpose of suplimenting emergency fishing kits are sold legally in many states. I used to carry gill nets intended for pilots flying in the bush in Alaska or over other areas where even if your locator beacon worked, it could take days or weeks before someone could find and rescue you. I guess they make sense for pilots flying over any loosely populated area, but I found that people wanted to pack them for "just in case" situations on weekend hikes. I would not suggest gill nets to be used lightly as they might spell certain death to any fish, mammal, or other unsuspecting critter that is unlucky enough to be caught. For all you know, it will be an endangered fish, angry snapping turtle, or even nasty alligator that will get tangled. I am still able to get gill nets and would willingly sell one to a pilot, but my ethics as an outdoorsman would not let me sell a gill net to someone who might look at it as a lazy man's way to fish. For absent fishing methods that are just as effective as gill nets in a survival situation but less likely to harm random animals, look into trot line,"jug lines", or shore lines. All absent fishing methods pose more danger to wildlife and I would only use them in a survival situation even though they are legal in some states.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
gill nets would be great in the mississippi for trying to control the carp problem

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gill nets are still carried by some pilots and gill nets that are sold for the purpose of suplimenting emergency fishing kits are sold legally in many states. I used to carry gill nets intended for pilots flying in the bush in Alaska or over other areas where even if your locator beacon worked, it could take days or weeks before someone could find and rescue you. I guess they make sense for pilots flying over any loosely populated area, but I found that people wanted to pack them for "just in case" situations on weekend hikes. I would not suggest gill nets to be used lightly as they might spell certain death to any fish, mammal, or other unsuspecting critter that is unlucky enough to be caught. For all you know, it will be an endangered fish, angry snapping turtle, or even nasty alligator that will get tangled. I am still able to get gill nets and would willingly sell one to a pilot, but my ethics as an outdoorsman would not let me sell a gill net to someone who might look at it as a lazy man's way to fish. For absent fishing methods that are just as effective as gill nets in a survival situation but less likely to harm random animals, look into trot line,"jug lines", or shore lines. All absent fishing methods pose more danger to wildlife and I would only use them in a survival situation even though they are legal in some states.
yea im thinking its only for shtf emergency use. got any tips on how you would use it to snare game like pheasant etc?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Gill nets can work for small game. Again, they are illegal as a means of taking a game animal in every state I know of except in the most dire circumstances. Unless in a dire circumstance, please abide by legal hunting and trapping practices. That said, there may be other techiques, but the one that I know of is for wooded areas and you would use the gill net as a run through (or fly through) trap like you would with fish. It could be set up on a trail hanging from a decent hieght down to the ground opened on surrounding branches, approximating a funnel with the ground making up one side. Creating this cone within a natural coniffer under pass would be helpful in blending the net in with the natural surroundings. Ideally the bird ambles into the net, tries to fly, and as it takes off it becomes tangled in the net. A variation of this tactic involves scaring a bird into the set net. It sounds improbable but most game birds are stupid and they often follow the same trails in wooded areas. Patridge will let you practically step on them (relying on their camoflage instead of brains) and not fly up until the last minute some times hitting you as they try to get away. If you practice and have a 410 or other small guage shot gun like a 20 gauge perhaps, game birds are not all that difficult to hunt once you get an eye for spotting them (remember that they are stupid and will mostly hold still as long as they think you do not see them, flying only when you are fairly near). A decent marksman can take a bird as it flies up and some birds will hold still sao you can shoot them on the ground. If you abide by the legal seasons and have a legal hunting liscense, most states have some bird hunting season and some type of game bird available to hunt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thought I'd post this video about fishing with a coke bottle. Check if it's legal in your state. They catch a pike and other vids show catfish.

Reminds me of that Great white shark show where the catch great whites with gigantic floats and the tag them for research.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thought I'd post this video about fishing with a coke bottle. Check if it's legal in your state. They catch a pike and other vids show catfish.

Reminds me of that Great white shark show where the catch great whites with gigantic floats and the tag them for research.

YouTube - CATCH A FISH WITH A SODA BOTTLE
I love jug fishing! Me and pops used to catch turtles (yum) and bowfin (not so much) on them all the time. That's a gar btw.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.