Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Geriatric Gladiator
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been filling out my list of things I believe will be useful when the economic collapse happens. I have been looking at several types of survival candles and wondered if anyone had any experience with Colgans, Nuwick, and others. I also see candles in a can with several wicks and don't quite understand how the multiple or replaceable wicks work. I also don't understand the advantages or bee's wax or tallow. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've been stocking up on the tall (9-18 inch) tapered candles for some time now. These candles burn for 5-9 hours.

If you look long and hard, you should be able to find them for .25 each.

I get mine at St. Vincent De PAul thrift shops. Sometimes Walgreens has them for .25 also. I have hundreds and hundreds. I would much rather do it this way then spend 2.00+ dollars on each candle.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Would y'all please describe what's called 'survival candles' ??
Are those different in any way from others ?
I've scarfed up a bunch of odd candles for, like, forever.. hehe.
The holiday sales usually mean some super discounts, too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
candles

Hmmm, as for tallow candles, I am not sure there are any advantages, I think they are on the list since you don't have to have an "oil well" to make them. They date from days before you could buy blocks of parifin, before the age of oil. Tallow, or having some bees for wax, would be the only non paraffin (petroleum product) candle.

As for paraffin candles, unless you need a specific size or shape to fit a candle lantern, I would just shop around for cheap. There will be plenty of holiday candles at thrift and second had stores in January, those will be bargains.

·
Grounded
1,501 Posts
I think an alcohol/oil lamp or two would be a more practical light source than hundreds of candles. You can stock up on gallons of fuel that can be used for other things and alcohol can be brewed and distilled if you ever run out.

·
Breathe Easy
214 Posts
Are you looking for candles for your BOB, shelter, house, other? If it was my BOB, I'd look for survival candles. If it was for my shelter or house I'd probably choose to go with the oil lamp. Just stock up on the oil and wicks. If it's other, then I'd probably just build a fire.

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
I also see candles in a can with several wicks and don't quite understand how the multiple or replaceable wicks work. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
By having several wicks, the can/candle can be used in a folding stove, taking the place of sterno or other gel fuel cans.
I've got some of the sterno candles. They come in several sizes/burn time.
I've also got some of the "liquid candles", so they won't melt in BOB.
The nice thing about lamp candles is the heat they put off to keep condensation down in tent.
If you can't keep wick trimmed in oil lamp, you'll get alot of soot.
All are a fire risk around kids and pets.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I don't buy candles. My wife burns a lot of them and used to throw away the wax. I put the wax in a box until it gets full. I take string, or sometimes buy wick from a hobby store, and make my own candles using pop cans for molds.

The candles work really well. In fact, I have so many of them my wife has started stealing them for her own use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been filling out my list of things I believe will be useful when the economic collapse happens. I have been looking at several types of survival candles and wondered if anyone had any experience with Colgans, Nuwick, and others. I also see candles in a can with several wicks and don't quite understand how the multiple or replaceable wicks work. I also don't understand the advantages or bee's wax or tallow. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Use anything but the tealight candles. they only burn for about 30mins. :(

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.