Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best place to go survival camping in East Texas? I was looking at Big Thicket but am sort of confused when it comes to all the different "parts" of the forest. What are you experiences with Big Thicket or other areas around East Texas?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok tell me all :thumb:

I dont mind driving alittle to our camp site, I would prefer a place not so family oriented, where I can go and cut wood and build shelters, true survival camping.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
oh dang it you put me on the spot lol. um, let me see, i'm not sure if there are any state parks that will let you cut wood. you might want to get a hold of the Texas parks and wildlife department and ask them about that part. i'm not sure which parks let you do that, sorry. you might even have to find somebody with a deer lease or something like that to be able to practice that. isn't the big thicket a national park? you should be able to contact them and find out what kind of activities like that they allow. i just wouldn't tell them that you're practicing survival techniques. you might end up with some peta freak telling you you're some kind of nut job for wanting to do that. sorry i couldn't be more help i didn't realize you were wanting to practice building those type of shelters.

now if you want to go somewhere and practice putting up tarp shelters or different types of tents then there are loads of state parks in the hill country that will let you do that. you can even fish in most state parks as long as you have a license. garner state park is pretty awesome, lots of trails to hike and the frio river runs all through it. lost maples state park is beautiful this time of year and i think they have primitive camping sites and there are alot of other state parks in the hill country but i don't know as much about them. garner state park has cabins and hootches as well as primitve sites with just a faucet, picnic table and fire ring. also they have rv sites if you're into camping without really camping. it's probably the most popular park in the state.

·
Apocaloptimist
2,708 Posts
1stvcamp is right. You cannot cut down any trees in the Big Thicket Natinal Forest, although you can use what has fallen to the ground. I know because I hunt this area. Your best bet is to get on a year round deer lease. There are many in the Piney woods of East Texas and you can usually get them for $500 - $1000 a year. I was on one just past the border near Toledo Bend that was $280.00 a year.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
i think you be better served to get your self a versa shelter tarp system. then you would be set for a variety of different conditions and climates. if you want to know more about them go to youtube and check out wildernessoutfittersarchery.com. Dave Canterbury has several videos on what it is and how to set one up and make your own, plus he sells them on his website.

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
deer lease is the way to go. I drive an hour and a half but it is worth it. there are leases 5 min. from my house, however I prefer to go north , less skeeters. on a lease you can pretty much do what you want as long as it is ok with the land owner. plus you can practice trapping, snareing and hunting skills which is part of survival.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Do a search on the 153,179-acre Angelina National Forest,
and the 160,656-acre Sabine National Forest. Both are in east Texas and has more than enough room to get away from it all.:D:
The Angelina has Sam Rayburn Reservoir, and Sabine has Toledo Bend Reservoir.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all of your responses, im not used to such an out spoken forum, Im happy to be a member :thumb:.

The deer lease idea is great! Although, ill have to wait until I cant get that, need some more money. I was already planning on going survival camping At the beginning of next month and with Xmas here the funds are quite limited. However, it is a great idea and something to look into next year.

The Versa shelter tarp system looks like a good investment!

Angelina National Forest and Sabine National Forest look beautiful, although, I still dont like the fact that you cant cut wood or fish without permits. How much does a fishing license cost anyways?

I will put those on my list of places to go for the future, maybe when I have more people with me as a leisure camping trip.

Has anyone on this forum ever organized a trip with other members on the forum?

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
A resident freshwater fishing liscense is $28.
Firewood in no problem, plenty of downed trees and branches.

·
Knife Nut
131 Posts
Thanks for all of your responses, im not used to such an out spoken forum, Im happy to be a member :thumb:.

The deer lease idea is great! Although, ill have to wait until I cant get that, need some more money. I was already planning on going survival camping At the beginning of next month and with Xmas here the funds are quite limited. However, it is a great idea and something to look into next year.

The Versa shelter tarp system looks like a good investment!

Angelina National Forest and Sabine National Forest look beautiful, although, I still dont like the fact that you cant cut wood or fish without permits. How much does a fishing license cost anyways?

I will put those on my list of places to go for the future, maybe when I have more people with me as a leisure camping trip.

Has anyone on this forum ever organized a trip with other members on the forum?
I think it would be worth the try to try to organize a trip. with a handful of us within an hour of each other it would just be a matter of every one getting of work the same time and picking a location

·
Here's Johnny!
306 Posts
I think it would be worth the try to try to organize a trip. with a handful of us within an hour of each other it would just be a matter of every one getting of work the same time and picking a location
That'd be something I'd be down for.

(and btw, no fishing license needed if you fish from the banks of State Parks)

:thumb:

·
Apocaloptimist
2,708 Posts
Put me down for this. I am fondly acquainted with the Angelina National Forest as that is where I got lost when I was younger.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
Back in my Nacogdoches days, I used to go tent camping around Sam Rayburn alot. My favorite was Shirley Creek Marina and Campgrounds.
http://www.shirleycreek.com/index.html
I haven't been there in years, but it would be a blast to kayak fish that big cove there.
If ya'll get this together,and pick a weekend after deer season, I'd make the trip out there.:thumb:

·
Registered
147 Posts
I lived in Huntsville for about 7 years, not prison time. To the east of town is national forest for many miles. We used to go camping all the time by just driving until we found a good open spot and start a fire.

·
Registered
113 Posts
One of my favorite places to go in east texas is Lake O the Pines, its beautiful, but probably not a good survival camping site. I wouldn't mind going on that trip, just to watch and learn from some of the pro's.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts