Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
backwoods country boy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone first post. i had this idea today about a survival bucket. one of the plumbers i work with organizes his tools into kits and stores them in five gallon plastic buckets. one for pvc one for sottering etc. so i thought this might have an application for prepping. maybe one bucket for firestarting one for fishing others for ammo. i started one filled with "expendables". batteries, bic lighters matches a one time use poncho rubber gloves. basically stuuf i would use once then throw away, the non refiillable/rechargeable. please let me know your thoughts/ suggestions

·
backwoods country boy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks filthy i really do like the cooler idea for food or anyhting else that needs to be insulated. mine i wont be trying to carry far. i do have a get me home bag in my truck and a nice backpack for longer trips but my idea for my bucket was to stay at home and refill my GMHB. il be bugging in if anything does happen i probably should have specified that in the original post. but after my bics run out and matches are used or wet i want to have refills already stored and organized. im also thinking about adding large garbage bags and ziplocs.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
I do that for various items in my garage. You can get nice dividers for small items that sit in the top of the bucket. I have all my plumbing gear that way as well, the soldering torch, spare parts, etc. Then one with electrical parts, spare plugs and switches, wire nuts, etc.

I don't store a lot of my preps that way, at least not categorized like that because I don't want to loose all my firestarting if I would loose that bucket. Instead I distribute a little of each gear category though multiple storage containers so there is redundancy there.

Likewise each layer has refills for the previous and builds on that. So my GHB can replenish my EDC and add to it, my BOB refill/replace/expand my GHB, etc.

It makes it a little more to keep track of, so for example say this year I rotate out lighters buy buying a couple bulk packs. So one go es in the EDC, two in the GHB, three in the BOB, etc. All the old ones go in the box to use around the house.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Welcome aboard, personally I am way beyond bucket level. I started a long time ago with a survival trunk for my rig. It grew from there. It had blankets, 10 mre's, more misc food, tools, knife, flashlight, can opener, misc tools, strobe light, survival book, matches, lighter, candles, tarp, rope, water, and purifier. A bag that you can carry long distances without a car or auto travel may serve you better in the long run.

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
I had the same concept, only I fill a whole bucket full of 1 item and then mark it with a sharpie.

For example, in my strike anywhere matches bucket, I fill a ziplock sandwich bag full and seal it. I get smaller buckets from walmart bakery, and once I fill a bucket, I seal it and put another bucket on top of the stack and fill it with the same item. Matches lighters, bandaids, q-tips, flystrips, whatever. I get my buckets free from walmart bakery.

I am currently working on depth of preps.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I'm a big believer in organizing your supplies. My first wife was a total gemstone, and she was an innate organizer. Everything in the house was either filed or binned and labeled. I've been following a similar system to this day with my prep supplies, and fortunately it works well with how my second wife likes to see things organized. We use 5 gal buckets for some things, but for other stuff I went to Wal-mart and got racks and plastic storage bins. I even bought a couple of their cheapo plastic draw "filling cabinets." (You can't really call them filing cabinets... but they look the same.) Even all of my ammo is binned by caliber... shotgun... 9mm... etc... And it is especially helpful having all the 5 gal buckets labeled and organized. We just did an inventory of all our gear, food, etc... and in the process I realized the 5 gal buckets actually worked better than bins and drawers for a lot of the gear. I just wish I could find a place that sold them cheap. We have some 5 gal buckets where what is stored in them costs less than the bucket.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Welcome to SB

This thread might pique your interest:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=175593
That is a great idea. My wife and I have talked a few times on what we would do if we had to leave town fast. I don't know why we never thought of the grab-and-go bucket idea. I'm already grab-and-go with my mbr and handgun/ammo. Being fully prepared with a list of buckets that could be grab and go would streamline a well prepared fast exit a lot. Thank you.

·
backwoods country boy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the input. Darkness, i do have a carryable bag that stays in my truck (I am never far from it) i want to have more preps for longer term use, more than just my bag. the bucket will be my way of storing them. buckets are cheap and dont look out of place in my garage so thats why i picked. I will NOT be trying to lug a bucket full of bics and batteries around, the purpose is to replace what i have used from my bag similar to Eugenes setup. i am wondering is there a better way to store my supplies? as far as carrying them i have good bags to do that

·
Homesteader
1,222 Posts
I live out in the country, and try as I might, can't keep the mice out. Buckets are safe from their chewing and other messes. Filthy ,nasty beasts, I hate meeces to peices.

Nothing ****es me off more than throwing away something ruined by mice.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
I made a grab and go bucket for tools that may be needed during a crisis. This way I know right where they are and I can grab the handle and go in a fast manner. Small hand axe, hand saw, crow bar, duct tape, mallet, hammer, extra blades, utility knife, set of wrenches, set of screw drives, pliers, wire cutters, hole punch and roll of wire, electrical tape, tape measure and small folding shovel and roll of plastic, carpenters pencil and flares, goggles, leather gloves and face masks, flashlight and batteries. Think that's it. You get the idea.

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
I use a bucket for my catfishing supplies. In the lid I keep various hooks, weights, leader material,,,,, and other odds and ends.

In another bucket I keep my trotlines.

·
backwoods country boy
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kev that was exactly what i was thinking about building. love that lid but i would probably hesitate to sit on for fear of breaking it. the noodle idea is new to me and i like that as well. looks like im buying more buckets!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have 20 buckets sealed with mylar liners, 02 absorbers and bulk food, they are nice because the stack well. We rotate bulk rice through some non-lined ones. You can usually pick up food grade ones at bakeries, or restaurants.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts