Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the survival scene? This list has been put together to help you out.

AR-15 - Is the civilian version of the military M-16 and M-4 rifle.

BOB - Bug Out Bag. This is some kind of duffle or back pack equipped with emergency supplies.

Bug Out - A term meaning to "get out of town." If you have to bug out, this means you will have to leave in a hurry. Some type of event is on the way and you need to get out of its path. Bug out and Boug Out Bag go hand in hand.

Bug In - Just the opposite of Bug Out. To Bug In means to shelter in place. This is were some type of event is on the way and it is impossible to leave your home, or what ever shelter you are in.

Cache - A stash of supplies.

EOTWAWKI - End Of The World As We Know It. This means that the world as you know it has come to an end - some kind of world wide event has happened, kiss your old life good-bye.

HDR - Humanitarian Daily Ration. This is a cheaper version of the MRE. The contents of a HDR acontian 0 animal by products. This is so the HDR can be dropped into areas where the local populations have certain religious beliefs about eating animal meat or products.

Hordes
- People leaving the big cities looking for supplies. Hordes are often refer to the biblical term - "hordes of locust." Just as with locust, the people from the large cities will remove all supplies from the smaller surrounding areas.

Multi-tool - This is a combination survival knife, pliers and will usually have a wide assortment of tools built in. One example is the Gerber Multi-tool.

MRE
- Meal Ready To Eat. This is a military ration. Its normal shelf life is several years. The contents are sealed in a tough plastic coating.

SHTF - SH*T Hit The Fan. This means that some kind of event has happened. This is a term used in relation to your location. A SHTF situation is not normally world wide.

SKS
- a rifle developed by Russia during World War II. The full name for the SKS is the, Samozaryadniy Karabin sistemi Simonova. Most SKS rifles are chambered in the 7.62X39.

Survival knife - A multi purpose knife used for survival in the wilderness.

·
Premium Member
1,033 Posts
I can't spell worth a flip, but I can spot one. Acronyms
has only one "O" in it. Sorry, but I had to point that out. I find typo's and omissions even in the New York Times. For sure you'll find them in my postings from time to time, but I try to not make them unless I'm tired or in a hurry.

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
I like this one, i admit i used to have to use it all the time to look up things when i first started on the Web. I got tired of feeling dumb and asking what acronyms meant.

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is it EOTWAWKI or TEOTWAWKI T=The I have seen it more with the T first than I have not. I just dont want to look foolish typing it the wrong way.

·
The West Coast Kid
164 Posts
BOV Bug Out Vehicle
BOL Bug Out Location
Preps (people use this one so much I figured it might as well be on there)
And one I just made up BYOBTTTEOTW Bring Your Own Beer To Toast The End Of The World

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.