Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright you crazy paranoid survivalists ;), I need some advice. Im looking for a good survival .22. What I want is one of the ones that breaks down into the butt of the rifle. Also if there was one that also had a small scope that fit in there that would be extra points. If not definately one that has a scope mount already on it. For say a little 3x9. It will have to fit easily into a pack. Any suggestions? Thanks.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts
Alright you crazy paranoid survivalists ;), I need some advice. Im looking for a good survival .22. What I want is one of the ones that breaks down into the butt of the rifle. Also if there was one that also had a small scope that fit in there that would be extra points. If not definately one that has a scope mount already on it. For say a little 3x9. It will have to fit easily into a pack. Any suggestions? Thanks.
The AR7 survival rifle, but any I have used have been cheap and unreliable at best. It comes apart and fits in its own stock, but for all its good I have never had any luck with them.

10/22 would be my choice, they don't break down but after market stocks are available that will allow it to. These are the BEST 22lr I have ever used.

You can also get several versions of break down single shots

My personal Favorite would be a Savage 24, its got a 22LR top barrel and a shot gun underneath.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The AR7 survival rifle, but any I have used have been cheap and unreliable at best. It comes apart and fits in its own stock, but for all its good I have never had any luck with them.

10/22 would be my choice, they don't break down but after market stocks are available that will allow it to. These are the BEST 22lr I have ever used.

You can also get several versions of break down single shots

My personal Favorite would be a Savage 24, its got a 22LR top barrel and a shot gun underneath.

Will the 10/22 actullay break down or do you mean like a folding stock and whatnot?

·
A friend of the Site
1,966 Posts
I would concur with Beaterar on the 10-22 and the Savage 24.

I like the ar 7 for what it is, it is the only 22 i know of that breaks down and is stored in it's stock, it is floatable and very compact.

The marlin papoose breaks down and stores in a padded case.

Rossi is making a handiman style gun that H and R used to make, it is a single shot stock with muiltple barrles that breaks down in to a padded case. I have seen 22 lr, 20ga and 243 combos. Not bad for all in one case. But the case would have to modified to give longer lasting protection.

·
Registered
216 Posts
henry survival rifle

Henry makes the US survival rifle 22 a improved version of the us airforce AR-7. It weighs 2.5 pounds cost about $225 and breaks down easily in 3 pieces to be stored in the rifles waterproof stock that also floats. Once disassembled and stowed its only 16 inches long. I think it is a cool rifle that easily could be carried in a backpack.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I recommend the Ruger 10/22. Best .22lr carbine. The henry ar7 is alright but not very sturdy built. It makes a nice backpack gun but not really at the top of the list for durability and reliability for long term survival.The scope wont fit in the stock, wich is pretty bulky because its hollow so it can float. Try the new Ruger charger pistol for compact-ness.

·
Registered
723 Posts
You might also want to consider a pistol like the proven ruger markIII or walther p22 5" barreled version. Both can be had for 249.99 and have scope rails.

·
Registered
216 Posts
No doubt, the ruger 10 22 is a great gun but his question was that he wanted a stock rifle that breaks down into the butt of the rifle so he could fit in his backpack. The ruger 10 22 wont do that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What does everyone think about the reliability of the Henry survival rifle? That stock on the ruger is a cool design but im a little skeptical on how easy it is to use.

·
Son Of Liberty
1,871 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Remington or sum one makes a .22lr that the forend of the stock fold back so you can take off the barrel easily. The 10/22 will actually come apart with a single allen key buy taking out 1 stock screw and 2 barrel block screws.

They are as easy to shoot as a bolt action rifle.

My ar7 performs almost flawlessly but i can see how some can be finiky.

With a buttler creek folding stock and 200$ short barreled rifle taxes you could build a nice compact 10/22.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Personally (MY OPINION) an AR-7 is a novelty firearm, it is to unreliable to use for anything "survival" related. Maybe backpacking or camping, but not survival. I really recommend that all firearms and "tools" be of the best quality, fit, finish, and reliability that they will no doubt last at least 20 years, minimum. The Ruger fits the bill, but it doesn't fit your wants of a floating bulky half weapon half backpack type firearm. One thing to consider is to change your outlook on your needs, like a pistol, or smaller rifle like a chipmunk. Myself personally would suggest at least one real rifle and one real pistol (no "crossover" types) then from there you can judge how easy it is to pack and carry each. My personal survival rifle is a Ruger 10/22 with a 3-9 on top and a synthetic stock to make the weight a little better. My personal .22 pistol is a Llama Especial .22. If I needed a rifle to fit in a pack I would buy a Chipmunk, hands down. Best mini rifle money can buy, no gimmicks or BS single shot reliable rifle.

Have a look at the chipmunk http://www.roguerifle.com/Rifles.htm#Std Walnut

·
Registered
9 Posts
Rossi is making a handiman style gun that H and R used to make, it is a single shot stock with muiltple barrles that breaks down in to a padded case. I have seen 22 lr, 20ga and 243 combos. Not bad for all in one case. But the case would have to modified to give longer lasting protection.
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone know if Rossi ever ended up making these? if so, link or name?

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
$100........rossi matched pair........22lr and .410 barrels..........easily put together(i think i can do it faster than putting an ar-7 together, which ive done) ...........very accurate...........

henry survival rifle is gimmicky at best.

·
Registered
6,445 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread, but does anyone know if Rossi ever ended up making these? if so, link or name?
http://www.rossiusa.com/hot_items.cfm

An interesting idea here. The Rossi wizard.

3 rimfire bbls to include 22lr. (17hmr/22lr/22mag)

2 muzzle loader options.(.45/.50)

3 shotgun types (410/20ga/12ga)

Several centerfire options as well.

38spl/357mag
44mag
22-250
7.62x39mm
30-06
45-70

It appears that all but the shotgun tubes have rifle sights on each bbl. (shotgun tubes have the bead type). Rimfires and centerfires also have a rail to mount optics. Synthetic stocks or wood. Fiber optic front sight. No tools needed to swap bbls out.

This idea might make for a nice, cost effective back up rifle to an already existing rifle in someone's arsenal, as most of the popular calibers are covered here.

Examples:

SKS/AK = 7.62x39 bbl for the Wizard.

AR/Mini14 = 223 bbl

M1A/Bolt gun = 308bbl

M1Garand/'06 bolt gun = 30-06 bbl

Another idea is using the 38spl/357mag bbl to supplement an existing handgun in the same caliber. 44mag as well.

And you still have your 22lr all in one pkg.

11B

1 - 20 of 43 Posts