Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the site. I'm looking for my first tent, surplus shelter half pup op tents. I am choosing between US, German or Polish. Polish and German are rain parkas and shelter halves. Has anyone had experience with this tents?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
May want to look for local Milsup stores...an ask.

Had a local surplus store sell USGI versions in bulk....sorted and set up as tents were like $10 each...$20 bucks for the 'tent".....
Have used one for a long time....but these are a basic "tent "not poncho.

I picked thru them for the $3 buck versions...were not sorted so you had to dig thru the pile...pick out about 8 pretty good halves.
I am use them for sun shades on a tractor barn, 4 wheel cover and wood pile cover.

Any surplus poncho or shelter unless it New or a re-pop.....is gonna smell like sweat, mildew.....Just a heads up.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Each man carried a groundsheet (shelter half) when I was in the Canadian Forces, and he and his fire-team partner made them into a hoochie (sp?) ... for the price of a surplus one, it would probably be an acceptable shelter, but you may find a camping tarp lighter and easier to use.

·
reluctant sinner
17,913 Posts
They work but not all that good and they are heavy. No floor, no bug net.

Buy a cheap one or 2 person tent. Maybe invest in a good Gore-Tex type bivy sack and just a tarp or poncho.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They work but not all that good and they are heavy. No floor, no bug net.

Buy a cheap one or 2 person tent. Maybe invest in a good Gore-Tex type bivy sack and just a tarp or poncho.
I second this... With a goretex bivy you can sleep in the mud if necessary, and a light tarp will shelter you / your gear from weather...

·
Only politics *****.
5,682 Posts
I second this... With a goretex bivy you can sleep in the mud if necessary, and a light tarp will shelter you / your gear from weather...
Just cause you have a goretex or waterproof bivy, is no reason to neglect your campsite selection skills. Many who have thought you can do that, then wake up soaked because the zippers aren't waterproof, and goretex can leave water through when under pressure (for example: where you're lying on the ground in the mud).

Take care of your gear, and it'll take care of you. Neglect and abuse it, and you'll just cause it to fail.

·
The Darkside Cometh
459 Posts
several years ago I bought some old MARPAT shelter halves [12 'halves' in fact, to make 4 triangular "tubes"]. Very sturdy but also very heavy. Probably 16oz canvas that's coated on the inside with latex or other silicone water sealant. They shed water and snow just fine but as I said...are heavy to haul in and out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts