Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I like my surplus U.S. issue "seabag"
it is narrow,, 1 foot wide and 1 foot deep.. so it does not stick out to the sides and hang me up going thru brush and brambles,,

it is 3 foot tall, so it will carry one of my long guns concealed
being tall and narrow, I can also carry a long gun . or bow slung along side it on my shoulder

it has (unlike the one issued me in the 60s , which had only a sling strap) ...two shoulder straps...
it is of course just one big open sack,no pockets partitions or zippers, no velcro..
I do not like all those separate compartments anyway,, I like a big open bag, (like an Alice whose main compartment is als a big open sack,
but I do not like an alice,, too heavy with the frame,, the shoulder straps are too close and Chafe my neck,
(check that on ANY pack you try,, that there is room between the strap edges and the sides of your neck !!!)

I organize it instead of tucking things into all sorts of individual zippered compartments as most packs have, I have different things, Sox underwear, sweater etc in a bag, cooking gear in another, first aid in another, food in another, fishing gear in another and so on...... so I just need to pull out a color coded or numbered bag for whatever it is I want to do.

and I can make the pack smaller, shorter if wanted by simply folding , or rolling down the top of it like a sock ..to make it a shorter height, , whatever I chose, 18 inches,, 24, 28,,,

the BIg drawback is that , unless a foot or more of the upper length IS folded down, it has no top rain flap. unless you make one,,
so I simply slip a heavy duty plastic sack upside down over it,, (which in true McGuyverSurvivor tradition , is merely a strong plastic sack that contained heavy garden mulch )

that said, $20 at my military surplus store got me a backpackable bag tall enough to hold not only bags of clothing, food stuffs, First aid, , extra boots.. as usual but also a take down bow, arrows,, fishing rod, airgun or firearm, ,, whatever I care to takeand being a tall bag, those items are not obvious to the casual observer.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,889 Posts
Pros:

Cheap. Narrow Profile.

Cons:

No frame. Not built for long-distance carry. No way to access items at bottom w/o removing a lot of items.

·
Let the Debate begin
6,404 Posts
There are plenty of ways to modify and adjust an Alice pack. Also different sizes. If I am walking some where in an Alice pack and I need to drop it quickly it has a quick release but most cheaper packs have you locked in, only dropping it after you put your arms down. For instance, you get attacked by a pack of dogs?

I know I won't talk the OP into an Alice Pack but as long as he brought up the comparison.....

I don't like things up over my shoulders behind me by over a foot when I hike because it can get caught on things. I also don't like my pack hitting the back of my legs if I need to run. Just things to consider.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Here's a couple of disadvantages I can think of the C-bag.

1. Because it's not divided, if you want something in the bottom, it all has to come out. This would leave you in a vulnerable situation should you all of a sudden have to get up and run. With a divided bag, you can grab and run without having to worry about repacking and leaving behind some stuff.

2. When I just have my uniforms in it, that thing weighs over 80 lbs. I can't imagine myself having a whole lot of stamina carrying that thing around for very long. And if you are like me, a big bag means you have to fill it up. With items that are not clothing in nature, I would how much that would weigh?

Just my observation.

·
To the surface!
8,012 Posts
As someone who had to run around with a full seabag in boot, who carried multiple bags for years when traveling, I don't really care for it.

1) Unless you somehow waterproof it, it will soak up water and things inside can easily get wet.

2) For what it is, it is heavy.

3) There is no padding for your back, nor a frame. Anything that is hard and angular may be poking you in the back.

I got mine for free, but I rarely use them except when moving.

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
As some prior Navy people have pointed out SeaBags are great for some stuff, but not very efficient.

Yes, I still have 4 I picked up throughout my time in the Navy. They work great for loading sleeping bags and blankets then throwing them in your vehicle. But just carrying them across base fully loaded was bad enough, I wouldn't use them by choice for any distance. For what they were designed for they work fine, but it was just that, moving from one spot to another on base, or to move from one means of transportation to another.

As mentioned they only load through the top, so are extremely inconvenient as a BOB.

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
Don't have to be Navy to know a sea bag.

One of the first memories a Marine gets is the first day they load up you sea bag with your initial gear and then tell you to strap it on. It ends up on your back for a good portion of that day. Hours later that bag is cutting into your shoulders and rubbing you raw with that canvas strap.

That is not a fond memory.

·
Frozen Tundra Prepper
315 Posts
one thing.... they have no hip supports for the weight so its all on your shoulders and back

·
Registered
427 Posts
As someone who had to run around with a full seabag in boot, who carried multiple bags for years when traveling, I don't really care for it.

1) Unless you somehow waterproof it, it will soak up water and things inside can easily get wet.

2) For what it is, it is heavy.

3) There is no padding for your back, nor a frame. Anything that is hard and angular may be poking you in the back.

I got mine for free, but I rarely use them except when moving.
Ha! It wasn't free by any stretch of the means!

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
USMC: Department of the Navy :D:
And what a gawdawful state that is! It's like having the bus drivers in charge of the public schools. :xeye:

But I take comfort in knowing that someday the wet navy will be a thing of the past but the Marines will still be needed in space. You don't seriously think the Airforce is ever going to let the Navy horn in on its domain, do you?

·
Dumpster Diver
2,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well tis new one is -empty- about 1/2 the weeight of the one they issued me 50 years ago, appears more waterproof , not tested yet. I may make a frame , internal or external much lighter than the Alice frame, as to packing,, I pack more or less vertically, that is to say the immediate use (on the trail ) things near the top..and backup clothing or things needed only at camp toward the bottom,, when shapes work I also pack things .like blankets, tarps, etc rolled long and thin and standing vertically on end so the item can be pulled straight up put the top

as said, I have it rolled down nearly afoot on itself to make it shorter, but by pulling that section up like pulling up your rolled down boot sock,, it is 36 inches high ,, enough to conceal my long gun, bow or arrows,, whiich is an iimportant consideration here in NYS with all the libbies running about calling in "man with a gun" on their cell phones.

yea, I remember the DI's making us high port those 75 pound bags around the grinder all night if they caught someone in the platoon doing something wrong. Thing was was 60% of my own weight,, but they never broke me... by morning I would be draggin it between the bodies of the platoon, slow,, but still movin.

Get down and Give me 20,, SIr yes Sir, done,, Yo like that, give me 20 more,, SIr ,yes Sir,, done,, and that would go on til he got hungry and went to the chow hall... LOL.
I flippin loved boot first time I ever shined,, in HS football I got knocked on my ask but in boot,, skinny guys had a tremendous advantage, especially if their Dad was a Marine and raised them to never give in..

thanks for the memories fellas !!!!

ah, but now.. the spirit is willing , but the flesh weakens...and that,, in a word,, sux

·
Registered
505 Posts
And what a gawdawful state that is! It's like having the bus drivers in charge of the public schools. :xeye:

But I take comfort in knowing that someday the wet navy will be a thing of the past but the Marines will still be needed in space. You don't seriously think the Airforce is ever going to let the Navy horn in on its domain, do you?
Haha, I was never partial to them myself, I just like to harass my brothers in arms. I spent more time bleeding green then I ever did blue. Take a look at the uniform in my picture, it's definitely not dungarees.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
I want a frame on anything I carry on my back that has much weight. Having your hips support the weight rather than your back and shoulders doesn't fatigue you as much over the long haul. Even when I was young and strong, the difference was very noticeable. Now that I'm older, it's mandatory.

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
Haha, I was never partial to them myself, I just like to harass my brothers in arms. I spent more time bleeding green then I ever did blue. Take a look at the uniform in my picture, it's definitely not dungarees.
It's ok, you know we jarheads love our corpsmen.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Air Force hasn't built a ship yet! If it's going to be manned by more than one person who goes to boot, it will be Navy!

Oh, and there is no air in space!

·
Banned
30,718 Posts
Air Force hasn't built a ship yet! If it's going to be manned by more than one person who goes to boot, it will be Navy!

Oh, and there is no air in space!
Get real. The navy will shoot itself in the foot first. They still cling to the notion of "projecting a radius of power" by building carrier groups when they could make the Navy completely submersible. Then their "radius" would be planet wide because no one will know where they are. But they will still keep building megabillion dollar tubs that are crew-centric and crew heavy in order to own a small patch of ocean that is exactly the radius of half the fuel reserves of a Hornet.

As for Airforce not having spacecraft, everything that has gone up with the US flag was theirs. Living around NASA my whole life I've seen the emergency protocols. The airforce watches the civilians do the space business while having a complete shadow setup to override and take over at a moment's notice. Trust me, it won't be Navy that walks into Mission Control and tells everyone they have just been replaced and to get out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Hey Zeke, it's called ribbing. It's what service members do to other service members. If that didn't come across, oh well. I've been navy for 9 years and now I'm air force. I'll still give the AF guys grief. My loyalty is Navy. Sorry to get your underwear all in a wad.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts