Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received a new Surefire catalog... it shows 60rd and 100rd mags for the AR15 rifles. They look VERY interesting ;) . If they are anything like the rest of Surefire's product line they should be well made. Does anyone have any experience with them?? Thanks, Dan3

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wouldnt mind having a few in my mag pile... but that much ammo is going to weigh a ton while using your rifle. Dont get me wrong, If I had the cash I would grab a few. My Rifle alone weighs in at over 9lbs unloaded - I cant imagine adding 100rnds of weight to that.

·
I sell US Military MRE's
6,477 Posts
IMHO- expensive when compared to a top quality 30 rd P-mag at $11 bucks each.
Plus we all only shoot semi-auto. I'd rather buy more ammo and be able to just change a magazine.

·
Barbaric and dishonorable
747 Posts
Not to mention if it fails it becomes one big heavy paperweight that contains a bunch of important ammunition you now may need to get out. I'll stick with 30 rounders, if one fails I pop in a new one. Plus I couldn't imagine moving around or trying to shoot prone with that big azz thing on my rifle. Never put all of your eggs in one basket.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,977 Posts
Not to mention if it fails it becomes one big heavy paperweight that contains a bunch of important ammunition you now may need to get out. I'll stick with 30 rounders, if one fails I pop in a new one. Plus I couldn't imagine moving around or trying to shoot prone with that big azz thing on my rifle. Never put all of your eggs in one basket.
If you look at Surefire's marketing vids, you will see the operators firing from the prone position with their rifles leaning to the left 45 degrees, and using side-mounted optics from the RH side of the receiver, so that the elbow is way far out and the ejection port facing upwards. Not sure how that would effect ergonomics. :eek:

Of course, the iron sights on the original AR-15's and M-16's (the kind atop the carry handle) left the operator with a very high profile in an attempt to use the straight-line stock to counter muzzle rise. :xeye:

·
Barbaric and dishonorable
747 Posts
If you look at Surefire's marketing vids, you will see the operators firing from the prone position with their rifles leaning to the left 45 degrees, and using side-mounted optics from the RH side of the receiver, so that the elbow is way far out and the ejection port facing upwards. Not sure how that would effect ergonomics. :eek:

Of course, the iron sights on the original AR-15's and M-16's (the kind atop the carry handle) left the operator with a very high profile in an attempt to use the straight-line stock to counter muzzle rise. :xeye:
Firing canted though will cause all Kind of problems at distance though. I'm
not sure that the extra capacity outweighs the possible problems it could cause. I had a know it all private from another platoon show up at a cqm range with three betas swearing he was gonna carry that in combat. I first asked him how he was gonna carry those on his kit, how is he gonna climb over a wall with them on, then what happens if one gets shot or malfunctions. I could definitely see those surefires being good in a fixed position, but like I said earlier I'd sure hate to have one fail full of all that precious ammo. If reloading times are a cancern I'd look at more training and a ready mag.

·
Registered
249 Posts

Attachments

·
Chains keep us together.
22,136 Posts

$129 at Midway, that seem a little high for what you get. Russians developed this kind of mag years ago for AK's. Never really cought on thou.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts

$129 at Midway, that seem a little high for what you get. Russians developed this kind of mag years ago for AK's. Never really cought on thou.
yea i saw a video with a 60 rnd mag for an ak74 but didnt know where to look to get them. i got some 45 rounders from kvar and love em... they are a bit tall though, i would like to get my hands on the 60 rounders.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts