Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
eyes opened 911,
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure this has been discussed but the more I watch this guy, he must be super human:eek:
How can a guy with exposed ears travel all day in light/moderate wind at -20'F or ('C) without a hat.... and with thin fingered gloves????????
He MAY be a bit tougher than us as a rule but you cannot fool a Canadian like myself who KNOWS what will happed to exposed/under-dressed skin.
I live in an area that can reach in the -30's and it is NOT possible to do what he does.
Either he lies about the weather temps. or we do not see what happens when the camera is off.
Comments please on your findings.:confused:

·
Registered
622 Posts
I lost all respect for the man after seeing a bunch of videos on youtube. The videos would show a clip of his show and what he would say about it being isolated or whatever, then the guy making the vid would zoom out or pan and there would be a motel or something behind him. He has "some" good advise but its best viewed as purely entertainment IMO. Im sure he has a few die hard fans that will do just that...die hard.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Bear doesn't actually survive, he demonstrates a few things for the camera and occasionally sleeps out, but mostly he spends an afternoon filming, then goes back to the hotel. There was a big hue and cry over that a year or so ago.

As was said above, Bear will get you killed, Les is worth your time.

·
eyes opened 911,
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's easy when you are accompanied by a full crew everywhere you go. Probably complete with trailers, at that.

Forget Bear .... listen to Les.
Yep, it also makes me wonder when bear goes down a cliff first and tells the camera-man..."Ok be carefull" and then you see footage of bear coming down the cliff:confused: How did the camera-man get there first?
I guess the only thing one can get out of that show is to utilize all items that are available around you and use your head to survive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Les Stroud!

Les or Les Stroud is SURVIVORMAN! He is the real deal (as far as shows go). He has no filming crew, he does it all himself.

He also plays a mean harmonica if I do say so myself! :)

Check him out he's pretty cool.

·
eyes opened 911,
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Les or Les Stroud is SURVIVORMAN! He is the real deal (as far as shows go). He has no filming crew, he does it all himself.

He also plays a mean harmonica if I do say so myself! :)

Check him out he's pretty cool.
What Network is his show on and what day / time?

·
eyes opened 911,
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Banned
3,760 Posts
I agree with the fellas above.

Bear will get you killed, he is a stuntman, not a survivalist. His shows are fun no more than that (and even some fake stuff from his shows starts to bother me after a while).

Les Stroud is the man.

·
I live this form
12,202 Posts
Bear Grylls climbed Mt. Everest at age 23.

Aside from that, he appears to be a showman.
He's also former SAS. Having read Wiseman's book for a long time (its in my bugout bag), I have no doubt Bear is knowledgable and well-trained, but I think his show is more interested in entertainment than giving any useful information.

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
Bear's show is not as authentic as Les's.

There was a rumor that he has been seen checking into 4-star hotels while he was supposed to be in the middle of the arctic... thats just a rumor though.

Remember, Bear has a camera crew.
Think they are eating tree bark and bugs? :headshake:

In the end however, I would put my money on Bear in a test of toughness.
:thumb:

Reactions: kam

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just read the little disclamer at the begining of show and it explaines it all, thought it was a great show but was just trying to get veiwers that liked survivorman....just my thought think Les has a better show with alot of info

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
He's also former SAS. Having read Wiseman's book for a long time (its in my bugout bag), I have no doubt Bear is knowledgable and well-trained, but I think his show is more interested in entertainment than giving any useful information.
I fully agree with this. I think that Bear certainly has the skills and experience, but what he does on the show is certainly for showmanship. I fully believe that he has the ability to survive and I fully respect his ability, just not the advice he gives on the show.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts