Survivalist Forum banner

super typhoon heading to Hong Kong

6K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  JBHK1976 
#1 ·
#5 ·
I believe it's built around a huge harbor, but also goes up into the hills.But I think that's where the wealthy homes are, most everybody else, as well as much of the commerce related stuff would be near sea-level, and get wasted.
A financial center like Hong Kong getting seriously slammed could have far reaching repurcussions.
edit: I got curious and checked Wiki for more info, and was surprised to read :
"....much of Hong Kong's terrain is hilly to mountainous with steep slopes, less than 25% of the territory's landmass is developed.........The highest elevation in the territory is at Tai Mo Shan, 957 metres (3,140 ft) above sea level.[122] Hong Kong's long and irregular coast provides it with many bays, rivers and beaches...."

Their high amount of "bays,rivers and beaches" is (obviously) extremely vulnerable, as are all those steep slopes. This could be REALLY ugly.

#9 ·
Daya bay is a ways away from us but still close. After fukushima the Chinese really looked at the safety issues it might have.
This is the first big typhoon this year for us, its usually Taiwan and the PI that gets hit.
the city shuts down once it gets close and bad enough.
Due to it being a weekend we will probably close up early.
Pretty amazing to see a city of 8million completly dead and shut down.
Like mil-dot said, everything is built in the sides or near mountains so landslides are a very real threat. The harbor will be shut down.
But i dont think we will have a katrina like mess here.
People (most) over here dont take this seriously. So the complaining on TV the next day is comedy gold.
My wife and i live in a village house in the countryside so the only thing ti worry about is flying debris.
most people here dont really worry until after it hits. So im sure there will be a run on rice and water just like every year.
My neighbor and I are prepared as always and ready to help each other if its needed.
But tomorow night will be a bottle of wine witb the wife and watch the idiots on TV.

#16 ·
Standby signal 1 now raised, when it goes to signal 3 is when the knuckleheads go to the stores and buy all the rice and bottled water.

The system over here is a bit strange:

Standby signal 1 = typhoon 800km away, start praying for #8 so you get the day off!
Signal 3 = typhoon closer and the weather is changing, buy all the rice and water you can!
Signal 8 = Its here!! some places are windy, and others are not. But everyone gets the day off work.
Signal 10 = Its bad! stay inside! Procede to complain about no bus or mtr service after you have had ample warning in advance. And your dumb a$$ is stranded in the station for the night!

Think there is a signal 9 but dont know when or why that is raised. No idea where 2,4,5,6,7 are.

#17 ·
Just closed up my restaurant for the weekend,
massive storm going to make a direct hit and people are out partying and going nuts like nothing is going on.
granted its not supposed to hit until tomorrow night, and it is a beautiful night.
But you would think people would be a bit more concerned?
Especially when its the biggest one we are going to get in the past 30 years!
Gonna be a long day tomorrow, got to board up and tie down.

#20 ·
I lived there for a while - stay safe JBHK1976 !

Being young and new to the island the term Signal #8 didn't mean anything to me, and I wondered around during a Signal 8, it was very erie to be the ONLY person outside in this usually bustling metropolis, I literally had the city to myself. Only a while later did I realize the impact these tropical storms have, but the city is very prepared and very organized for these yearly storms.

The term 'super' typhoon that's being used is new, so I wish you the best.

#21 ·
So far its calm and a bit cloudy, humid and the air is still. no birds singing at all, I guess they know what's coming.
Looks like a direct hit for us, going to get the eye and everything.
Kind of wish it would hit tomorrow, I could use the extra day off.
My wife and I went to the store for wine and munchies, we don't keep junk food in the house, so a typhoon is an excuse for us to have it.
The panic buying has begun!
People buying rice, toilet paper and one lady I swear had 4 boxes of laundry detergent?
I guess you gotta look clean when you complain on tv?

Jeeper it is pretty surreal when everything is closed down and the streets are empty. Especially on the island side.

#25 ·
Keep your head down and stay safe JB! From your posts it seems like you're prepared. Except for this stuff that you call "wine." I do not understand. Is this a slang term for Guinness? (Sarcasm) I know I couldn't survive without my Guinness!! :p Keep us updated. Interesting to see how other countries deal with disasters. Seems similar to the US.

#26 ·
Signal 3 now, light rain started, a bit of a breeze not much but enough to blow away the humidity.
Just had lunch with the in laws, drove by the river down the road, its high already because of the tide, if this thing hits at high tide there might be a bit of flooding if we get a good tidal surge.
If anyone has google earth you can look up Shing mun river to get an idea of the area I'm talking about.
We are up in the mountains a way off in a village. The last typhoon took down the big trees closest to the house so not much to worry about here.
Except the idiot neighbor has a rusty sheet metal awning on his rooftop that has the potential to turn into flying giant razor blades....

#28 · (Edited)
A new version of the teotwawki now can be
teowawki - the end of Walmart as we know it.
Most products Walmart sells bears the label made in china logo.
Now that it is near time to stock for Christmas for the slow boats from china. It ought to get interesting this year. I hope all of the people of china are safe and getvthe heck out before it hits shanty town.

#29 ·
Signal 8 is going to be raised at 7, so people who are working now get to go home.
Wind picked up, leaves are blowing off trees now. I went for a walk, (beer run) windy and rainy, not much else.
A few potted plants are blown over, the nuts from the candlenut trees are all over the road.

So far a let down, and bored as hell!

#32 ·
Typhoon came and went, no damage here, few branches in our yard that's it.
It made landfall about 50 miles north of us and most of the winds blew from the north so a lot of the mountains sheltered us. It turnd a bit north at the last minute.
A bit of flooding in a few places, some trees down in others, but it looks like we got spared the worst of it.
The area in China that took a direct hit got hammered pretty bad. Lots of flooding and damage, but they are just as prepared for it as we are over here.
Now just waiting for signal 8 to be dropped then I have to fight the crowds and try and get into work.....
Fun times!

#33 ·
Something i noticed on my way to work. After a major event like this, some trees down some flooding.
Its amazing that a city/territory this size can go back to normal so fast.
Yes it was crowded this morning, but busses & trains ran every 3 minutes or so.
it took me 5 minutes longer than usual to get to work.
In a city of 8million thats pretty amazing. As much as I bitch and complain sometimes about this place I know a city of similar size Stateside would have a tough time getting this many people back to work minutes after everything is finished.

Really is something to see!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.