Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wondered what others were doing who have large numbers of #10 cans when it comes to opening them. I have many "manual" can openers in my supply, and even the trusty P38 for emergency.

Recently, I transferred some salt I had in #10 cans into a superpail to make better use of my storage space. I opened 6 #10 cans in a row using the manual openers. Wow. I am getting a tinge of arthritis in my hands, and I suspect the older I get the worse it will get. When the SHTF, if I struggle to open my cans, my supplies may not be as easy to use as I thought.

I remembered back to my high school days and working in a restaurant. We used a table mounted can opener to open the #10 cans. Kind of like the one pictured below.

These can be expensive ($100 + sometimes). Does anyone else have an idea for a heavy duty (arthritis friendly) can opener like these that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,572 Posts
The old style lever can openers that look like a giant P-38 on a stick make short work of big cans. The leverage makes it really easy to use. But it takes some time, because just like the P-38, it's taking nips out of the metal each time.

I see them all the time in second hand and antique stores. Apparently they have very little demand too. Even the fanciest of them are usually only a couple bucks or so, with the general ones running about a dollar.

I just open them with Swingaway handheld openers mostly. But they aren't arthritis friendly.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Had one of these for many many years now and it has stood the test of time.
I have many of these can openers. I agree they stand the test of time.

However - - - that was NOT the subject of my post. These hand held openers are not easy to use on a #10 can. They open a #2.5 can or regular canned goods type can - - but on a #10 can, they take a lot of time and strength. As we get older, many develop arthritis and/or don't have the same strength in their hands.

The question is what are others planning to do to be able to easily open #10 cans if TSHTF and it is years from now and you can't really use these small openers any longer.

·
Future Codgers of America
218 Posts
This is what I bought for my wife who absolutely could NOT use the old style after chemotherapy. Lots of leverage and makes short work of #10 cans. It's what I chose after also discovering the prohibitive cost of counter mounted commercial can openers like you posted. I got mine at a restaurant supply store.

+N

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts
Reactions: TexSurvivalGuy

·
Registered
253 Posts
This is what I bought for my wife who absolutely could NOT use the old style after chemotherapy. Lots of leverage and makes short work of #10 cans. It's what I chose after also discovering the prohibitive cost of counter mounted commercial can openers like you posted. I got mine at a restaurant supply store.

+N

What is the name or maker of this can opener ? I am interested in getting one. Thanks

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I use the large one similar to one posted. You are right, the run about $100. I use mine in a commercial environment. Ladies use it mostly and it is easy for them. I spent $100 on several cheap ones before I gave up and just went with the commercial unit. It is also easier on the arthritic hands.

·
Resurgam.
122 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank You Xaith, MikeK (as usual !), Victor23, and Madcritter.

I'm going to get one of each!

Swing-a-way - - heck, even the name is cool on this one!

P51 -- - sounds like a WWII plane - - gotta have it just for the name also.

Commercial unit - - I have to find where Victor23 got it for $100 - haven't found one that cheap yet.

Again, thanks to all. My old ugly, wrinkled, crinkled, gnarled, and otherwise arthritic hands thank you as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
doesn't the "twist the handle" type of can opener open the can from the side? in order for the lid to seal properly i was under the impression that the can is supposed to be opened from the top of the lid (not the side).

i havent opened any of my #10 cans so i'm just going on what i have heard. has anyone opened a #10 can and not used it all -- and then used the plastic lid to seal up the rest until you finish the food over the week or two that follows?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
doesn't the "twist the handle" type of can opener open the can from the side? in order for the lid to seal properly i was under the impression that the can is supposed to be opened from the top of the lid (not the side).

i havent opened any of my #10 cans so i'm just going on what i have heard. has anyone opened a #10 can and not used it all -- and then used the plastic lid to seal up the rest until you finish the food over the week or two that follows?
I have a couple of the small handle side openers. You are right in that the reseable lids don't really fit.

Easy solution - - I will keep 6 or 7 cans that I open from the top using the harder to use openers. As I open a #10 can, any leftover will go into a cleaned and dried #10 can that was opened from the top. I will put a cheap label on it and put if on the shelf. For the most part, all the things I have in #10 cans are supposed to be used within a week or so after opening, especially if you don't have refrigeration (i.e. - - most Mountain House meals).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts