Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have experience with the Sunforce 50048 60W Solar Charging Kit? Amazon has it on sale for $199 with free shipping.

I have a 1/2 horse power jet pump that supplies water to my house. I would like some kind of solar system that could run the water, or maybe run the fridge to keep the food cold.

The Sunforce 50048 60W solar kit is four 15 watt solar panels, frame, charge controller and a few other parts.

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
Anyone have experience with the Sunforce 50048 60W Solar Charging Kit? Amazon has it on sale for $199 with free shipping.

I have a 1/2 horse power jet pump that supplies water to my house. I would like some kind of solar system that could run the water, or maybe run the fridge to keep the food cold.

The Sunforce 50048 60W solar kit is four 15 watt solar panels, frame, charge controller and a few other parts.
Thats funny you should post this, i bought the same one back in April to use for a trickle charger for my back up generator batteries. So far it works pretty good. Just make sure you get "All" of the screws in the packet, i was short 4 screws. They sent then in 3 days priority. They will shut down the storing function when the light is low like real late in the day At dusk.

Heres a contest for another good setup if anyone is interested

http://www.motherearthnews.com/sun.aspx

·
The Old Ways Live On
422 Posts
I wonder if it would power the A/C and fridge in my horse trailer living quarter. The batteries are mounted under the gooseneck and there is an inverter.

Where to mount it could be an issue, though, as the beasties tend to be a curious bunch and all the roof-mounted accoutrement might not allow set up.

Interesting possibilities. Hope it works out for you Kev.

Chatelaine

·
Banned
6,236 Posts
I wonder if it would power the A/C and fridge in my horse trailer living quarter. The batteries are mounted under the gooseneck and there is an inverter.

Where to mount it could be an issue, though, as the beasties tend to be a curious bunch and all the roof-mounted accoutrement might not allow set up.

Interesting possibilities. Hope it works out for you Kev.

Chatelaine
Oh yea, it will run the apartment size fridge that came out of my 28 Ft. race car trailer.
Remember that the little frigs and mini freezers have short on/off cycles and only run the compressor or cycle the ammonia when the preset temperature drops like when you open the door.

·
King of Nido
2,013 Posts
I have one of those. I use it to power the chicken house as an "experiment". It keeps 2 deep cycle batteries topped off, and powers the lights and fan for the birds. I replace the inverter, but the panels work well, and you'll end up replacing the controler and frame. The frame is pvc, and turned real brittle in the sun. You can also find extra panels on ebay pretty cheap. Oh....Its also rather large.

·
The Old Ways Live On
422 Posts
Fridge, well pump, and a/c?

Well goody on the fridge! Will it also run the LQ a/c? Together?

And, just how large is it? Two RV parking spaces, or just one will do?

I guess if it will run fridge and a/c, then a water pump such as Kev needs should be no problem?

Hmm, there's a 220 well over on the other property. I probably need to have a chat with my brother ;)

Thanks for any and all advice. Now back to Kev's original question. Sorry for the hijack. :eek::

Chatelaine

·
M.R. Not
4,677 Posts
OK you didn't mention storage batteries, so no 60 watts will not run a 1/2 hp jet pump (373 Watts), it might run a small RV fridge, depends on the power. For a Jet pump you will need around 750 watts just to get the motor to start.

Rancher

·
One Shot One Kill
383 Posts
This is OK for anyone that is not handy with tools and doesn't know anything about wiring, but it's quite expensive for what you get. 60 watts is not going to effectively charge much more than a 35 amp hour battery, which isn't really powerful enough to run anything but a very small fridge intermittently, and also isn't included. It uses amorphous solar panels, which are not rated as good as monocrystaline or polycrystaline solar panels, although they are supposed to do better in partial shading and overcast days. If you're handy at all, you would do better piecing a system together, if not, this might be helpful for you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts