Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As part of our general preps, we've added a food plants to substitute for non edible decorative plants. This summer we planted sunflowers around our yard. About 8 grew over 10 feet tall with huge round plate sized flowers. We saved about six flowers. After two weeks of drying we scraped off the seeds, washed and dried them and finally baked them in an oven at 350 degrees (like pumpkin seeds). We enjoyed them as a snack. Huge harvest from so few plants. Will try to add photos.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
As part of our general preps, we've added a food plants to substitute for non edible decorative plants. This summer we planted sunflowers around our yard. About 8 grew over 10 feet tall with huge round plate sized flowers. We saved about six flowers. After two weeks of drying we scraped off the seeds, washed and dried them and finally baked them in an oven at 350 degrees (like pumpkin seeds). We enjoyed them as a snack. Huge harvest from so few plants. Will try to add photos.
They also provide tasty protein... they attract squirrels... pick 'em off with a .22

·
just doin my job..
421 Posts
sunflowers are great. we're going to line one side of a fence in our back yard next year..

I've read you can grind the seeds into flour also, never tried it but I plan to..

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They also provide tasty protein... they attract squirrels... pick 'em off with a .22
Lost some to mold. Left them in shed too long. Eating some now. Saved about 25 seeds for next year to keep w/ Kev's philosphy. Will do same for tomatoes, peppers and cukes. Practice practice practice......

·
Registered
679 Posts
My grandmother used to soak the heads in a salt brine for a few days after picking. It helps prevent mold, and the salt dries them out faster. They weren't too terribly salty like the commercial ones, but just lightly so.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts