Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always lived in the south. I've lived in Florida (the part that should really be in Alabama) for the last several decades.

Weather around here is always interesting. Winter is fun, both days of it. Spring and autumn don't seem to last very long. BUT, we sure make up for it with summer. :)

Yesterday it was 97 degrees and 86% humidity. For those of you in dry climates, at 86% humidity you can almost slice the air like a stick of butter it's so moist. The garden is finishing the spring die off and I've got about 4 more weeks before the Summer I garden melts.

This morning it was 75 degrees at 6:15 a.m. Supposed to be 99 degrees and 99% humidity. That gives us a heat index of 168 degrees at about 2 this afternoon according to the calculators. I think they're a bit off, it's really only about like 115. I think it's time to start Siesta season again. :)

How summer coming in your neck of the woods?

·
Closed for the Season.
15,784 Posts
The heat is on where I live also. Had to turn on the AC for the first time as the temps reached 95F yesterday, has only cooled down to 74F this morning. Not as bad as Florida or the desert Southwest though. Probably hit 97F today. :)

·
You talkin' to me?
8,463 Posts
Kinda similar here in my neck of Texas. We had a nice long spring, it stayed cool well into early May but it has heated up fast. We've had enough rain to keep the gardens going and make me mow grass weekly but the low this morning was 74 w/94% humidity, the high today is 94-96, we might hit 100 Friday.

The garden should last into early July if we continue to get timely rains, I picked cukes yesterday, will pick green beans tonight and will pick cabbage to make Sourkruagt this weekend. The Okra is coming on fast, the tomatos are begining to produce and the onions are about ready to pull and dry for storage.

I'm gonna be busy for the next couple of weeks......

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,850 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kinda similar here in my neck of Texas. We had a nice long spring, it stayed cool well into early May but it has heated up fast. We've had enough rain to keep the gardens going and make me mow grass weekly but the low this morning was 74 w/94% humidity, the high today is 94-96, we might hit 100 Friday.

The garden should last into early July if we continue to get timely rains, I picked cukes yesterday, will pick green beans tonight and will pick cabbage to make Sourkruagt this weekend. The Okra is coming on fast, the tomatos are begining to produce and the onions are about ready to pull and dry for storage.

I'm gonna be busy for the next couple of weeks......
We have "monsoons" starting about the first of July. Every afternoon, hot steamy rain for an hour or two. It is a garden killer EXCEPT for okra. God bless okra. It keeps me from being totally garden depressed from about the 2nd week of July 'til the last part of August. Then I can put in Summer II garden. :) I always enjoy that one because as it finally starts to cool down I feel like I've won against nature every hot summer vegetable I get to pick in October. :) We get our thrills where we find them I guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts