Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've read these stories and they are terribly tragic.

I agree that people might seek help, but meds aren't practical help when you can't find a job and you're about to lose your home. Are anti-depressants supposed to make you feel better about having to live in your car?

It's gut wrenching to read about things like this, but I have a feeling we're going to hear more of it.

·
not a nut
1,629 Posts
I would throw a little caution out there as well.

I turned on my police scanner the other day, 2 calls went out back to back.

One was about an irate fella with a gun who had left his home saying he was going to kill himself and take a cop with him.

The second was on a woman driving down the hwy with her hands in the air and her head down.

About 2 minutes later there was a dispatch for fire and aid units to same hwy at a busy intersection, several cars in a collision.

I didn't want to know and turned the radio off.

·
American fearmaker
14,241 Posts
Back in the late 1920s, when the Great Depression got started, stock market and money market investors were throwing themselves out of the windows of the office buildings without concern on who they might land on or kill. Suicide from financial ruin is nothing new at all. It had really began to pick up in numbers of events a few years ago when day traders started having all their problems and offing themselves. It went from almost zero day traders to one a week to almost one every two days or so for awhile. This is a sad commentary on how we live our lives when people needlessly kill themselves over an item of money or lucre when they should be preparing to do other things with their lives.

·
Registered
173 Posts
My attitude towards suicide is if you are feeling that way, get rid of what is making you feel that way instead of getting rid of yourself.

That's not always easy. And sometimes it's impossible. Everyone has a point where they'd opt for suicide.

Stick your hand in a boiling pot of water. How long would it be (if you were forced to to leave it in there) that you would push a button to kill yourself?

Suicide has a stigma as not being noble in Western society, but in a way it is the ultimate form of survival. Survival against the raping of the mind.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My attitude towards suicide is if you are feeling that way, get rid of what is making you feel that way instead of getting rid of yourself.
I take it that you have never 'stood at the precipice'.

It seems to me that a severe deficit of empathy and understanding exists here.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
it is the ultimate act of selfishness.

Because society depends on money and what it can do for you- people are scared of dropping below a line they have never had to cross. Homeless-ness is so far beneath some people they would rather take their own life than to hit rock bottom and accept a temporary shelter. Money is something that can be restored. They made a name for themselves in the newpapers, and tried to "stick it to the man" for what "the man" did to them financially. It's awful, and there's a small part of me that understands their woes. Defeat is scary. Loosing everything you've got is scary.

But there for the grace of God go I. Forclosure & financial evaporation can happen to any one of us. The tragedy is loosing life over stuff.

·
Healer
918 Posts
As the long time saying goes: "This too shall pass."

I agree with Straight Razor.

If you can breathe on your own, are not mentally ill, are not a vegetable, and are not dying of some incurable or horrific disease then imho suicide is not an option. Suicide over monetary issues is not the answer. Life may seem pointless at that time, however does that make it the bottom line indication of what may come to pass? Nope.

That bank owned house means more than a person's own life....No way.
The money lost in a IRA means more than their own life. No!

There are options out there - one just needs to find them. If you don't ask or reach out then who is going to know the depth of your despair. These people are to be pitied, yes it is a tragic situation and nobody would desire to be in their shoes...but, just the thought of suicide, while others I know who are currently fighting to save their own life just doesn't seem right to me.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As the long time saying goes: "This too shall pass."

I agree with Straight Razor.
Can I assume that you too have never been driven to the point where that suicide became a considered option?

I sit here annoyed at yet again hearing the same two banal and trite knee-jerk verbal ejaculations,

1) "It's the coward's way out!"

2) "It's the ultimate act of selfishness."

and I am just shaking my old and weary head over it.

It is exceedingly easy to belch these trite expressions out, when one has never been in such a horrible and desperate situation where suicide was the only option or escape possible.

Please.

I have been there.

There are indeed some situations which are so painful, so agonizing and so hopeless that suicide was the only option 'on the table'. That you do not know about them nor have EXPERIENCED them, hardly invalidates the viability of making such a choice.

Life isn't all 'fun and games', you know.

But what is your suggestion to me, a lone woman who has been raped once in her early teens before and who suffered HIDEOUSLY because of it, who is facing the prospect of being overrun by a gang of males who are filled with lust and violence and bent upon sexually savaging me?

"Just let them have there way, EVERY DAMNED ONE OF THEM, and things will eventually [in my lifetime??] get better!" :)

Is that what you are suggesting?

Have you ever been in such a condition where that you were immersed in searing agony, be it physical or PSYCHO-EMOTIONAL and no form of palliation or relief would ease that horrible, crushing load for you?

You just have no idea, do you?

I have been there.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,823 Posts
If you feel that way because you are very ill, yea you can try to remove the illness... but there is no magic pill that does that.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,823 Posts
And as for losing property, home and your very foundation... I think you can go through it only if you have another leg to step on. Might it be someone to fall back on or a plan you thought up prior. Suicides happen when people feel they have no other solution.

·
Banned
2,077 Posts
I take it that you have never 'stood at the precipice'.

It seems to me that a severe deficit of empathy and understanding exists here.

I've stood at the precipice, looked down, looked all around and said to myself
Damn, what a beautiful view, wish I had a hang glider. Seriously The thought of self termination has never once crossed my mind. I try to take live for what it is and live it the best I can, try and provide for my family (which is kind of hard right now) and prepare for what ever eventualities I might be confronted with daily. My additude is this way because I have lived in the lowest of the lows and for me to have to go back means very little to me. The only thing I might have a problem with is the wife who has never been there.

·
Libertarian
397 Posts
as someone who has stood one pace from the edge and knows where that extra pace leads i have these thoughts on the subject.
I understand the rights of an individual to have control over ones own life, I am of the opinion that it is never that bad and to stand and fight is the best option. What I find unforgivable is that many of these people are taking some one else's life along with their own, as if they know what their loved one's ( wife & kids ) want. It smacks of a fundamental lack of moral courage.
In my childhood in the 70's in the `UK we had power cuts, a three day week, lack of rubbish collection as well as many other disadvantages. Some days (more than most) the only thing to eat was bread and dripping. Great times, everyone where I lived was in the same boat. People today have got fat on the excess of debt, grow up. So you can not have the big car, the latest fashion items, a new playstation or indeed a big house. Get used to it, look to the future, things will get better and who knows we may even turn out better people.
Suicide over the current little difficulties? lack of moral courage coupled with the fact that we have been nannied to long.
sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've stood at the precipice, looked down, looked all around and said to myself
Damn, what a beautiful view, wish I had a hang glider. Seriously The thought of self termination has never once crossed my mind. I try to take live for what it is and live it the best I can, try and provide for my family (which is kind of hard right now) and prepare for what ever eventualities I might be confronted with daily. My additude is this way because I have lived in the lowest of the lows and for me to have to go back means very little to me. The only thing I might have a problem with is the wife who has never been there.
It needs to be stated that I am not SANCTIONING NOR ADVOCATING suicide as an option. All that I am doing is saying in effect that one can indeed be faced with such situations where that it becomes an option for escape and relief.

Most people just seem to possess no clue as to how very horrible that life can be. It has never touched their lives.

They do not know how to address it in their lack of empathy, so they reflexively belch out these expressions when they may not even be applicable to the other person's situation, hoping that it will 'sink in'.

People all too often underestimate the great power of words. Saying the right thing, at the right time, can save lives.

Saying the wrong or inapplicable thing, can KILL.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
Most people just seem to possess no clue as to how very horrible that life can be. It has never touched their lives.

They do not know how to address it in their lack of empathy, so they reflexively belch out these expressions when they may not even be applicable to the other person's situation, hoping that it will 'sink in'.

People all too often underestimate the great power of words. Saying the right thing, at the right time, can save lives.

Saying the wrong or inapplicable thing, can KILL.
If one is suffering to the point of contemplating their own death- I would say they need help. Fast.

No, I have not been at that point. No where near that point. But I have known someone (very young) who decided it would be better to do themselves in than work things out. You cannot control what someone else has going on in their mind.
And you (Ladyfalconessa) might possibly need medication. You're going to invite the "conversation"...then shake your head at what we have to say...because it's not your point of view.

A person's life is NEVER worth money or material possesions....OR the loss of love or another one's life. Depression plays some funny tricks on your mind. If you are taking this statement as uplifting advice that we are "hoping it will sink in"- well, maybe a little. I think a lot of the threads you have initiated here on a survivalist forum have to do with your recent loss of love.
I know you're hurt bad, but insulting the folks that are looking at things with a different perspective is just rude of you.

You're not alone you know...we are a forum of friends seeking to learn from each other. Don't slam doors in other people's faces.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as someone who has stood one pace from the edge and knows where that extra pace leads i have these thoughts on the subject.
I understand the rights of an individual to have control over ones own life, I am of the opinion that it is never that bad and to stand and fight is the best option. What I find unforgivable is that many of these people are taking some one else's life along with their own, as if they know what their loved one's ( wife & kids ) want. It smacks of a fundamental lack of moral courage.
In my childhood in the 70's in the `UK we had power cuts, a three day week, lack of rubbish collection as well as many other disadvantages. Some days (more than most) the only thing to eat was bread and dripping. Great times, everyone where I lived was in the same boat. People today have got fat on the excess of debt, grow up. So you can not have the big car, the latest fashion items, a new playstation or indeed a big house. Get used to it, look to the future, things will get better and who knows we may even turn out better people.
Suicide over the current little difficulties? lack of moral courage coupled with the fact that we have been nannied to long.
sorry for the rant.
You are correct in stating that some will be driven to that point, simply because they have been 'spoiled' by how things were and are not mature and disciplined enough to make the necessary adjustments to their lives.

"Adversity builds character", generally speaking.

It seems to me that adaptability is the 'name of this game' and it is probably true that most of us here have learned to survive through and adapt to some pretty tough times and circumstances.

There are alot of great people here.

I have indeed heard of some who have killed family and then themselves, simply because they could not sustain living in a 'palatial' home, in an 'elite' living area, continue to own two luxury-class vehicles, etc. and I just have to shake my head over it all.

There is nothing dishonorable nor disgraceful in having to adapt to the times. You simply have to be able to adjust or as you put it, have the courage to do so.

I think that generally in this society that people are not as mature for their age as our forebearers were. The strength of character which commonly characterized individuals several decades ago, simply does not constitute the norm for individuals, today.

The effect of such will probably become more and more apparent, as the financial crisis progresses and deepens.

·
Registered
18,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If one is suffering to the point of contemplating their own death- I would say they need help. Fast.

No, I have not been at that point. No where near that point. But I have known someone (very young) who decided it would be better to do themselves in than work things out. You cannot control what someone else has going on in their mind.
And you (Ladyfalconessa) might possibly need medication. You're going to invite the "conversation"...then shake your head at what we have to say...because it's not your point of view.

A person's life is NEVER worth money or material possesions....OR the loss of love or another one's life. Depression plays some funny tricks on your mind. If you are taking this statement as uplifting advice that we are "hoping it will sink in"- well, maybe a little. I think a lot of the threads you have initiated here on a survivalist forum have to do with your recent loss of love.
I know you're hurt bad, but insulting the folks that are looking at things with a different perspective is just rude of you.

You're not alone you know...we are a forum of friends seeking to learn from each other. Don't slam doors in other people's faces.
You make a valid point.

It is difficult not to become intensely emotional, over this subject. :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts