Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my life in order, worked 5 miles from home (BIL). I could've crawled home if I'd had to.

Well...... Anyway, I got myself into a wistleblower situation (enough really IS enough), and the nearest job I could get is 95 miles away.

So, this stinks, but moving on.....

I now need to make plans to get home from the desert. I mean, this is where Hell was until they relocated it to a better place!

So - if I can drive, I'll make it, but if I have to walk I have issues. Water, for one...

I need a little help getting my thoughts in order. I think:

#1 I need a topo map for the surrounding area
#2 plot out several routes home

Then figure out what I need to carry, how long it is likely to take. Water, again, being the biggest concern.

Any suggestions would be very welcome. I'm going to have to keep things extremely light.

·
Premium Member
2,509 Posts
Your talking bout a trip through at least partial desert for 95 miles to you bol? On foot? You do realize that even at ten miles an hour it would take 9.5 hours non stop. You would be lucky to average 1.5 miles per hour with stops and resting included. This of course being on perfect terrain.

Even at half that distance 45 miles, I wouldnt even try it solely on foot, the amount of gear required is way more than an alice pack of gear, trust me. Could you make it? YES but not within any short amount of time. I can see the realistic maximum for a BO condition in terms of distance at 10 miles per day, thats 5 days, let alone the 10 it would take for the longer journey.

Personally the situation is unrealistic and would need to be corrected prior to an event.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your talking bout a trip through at least partial desert for 95 miles to you bol? On foot? You do realize that even at ten miles an hour it would take 9.5 hours non stop. You would be lucky to average 1.5 miles per hour with stops and resting included. This of course being on perfect terrain.

Even at half that distance 45 miles, I wouldnt even try it solely on foot, the amount of gear required is way more than an alice pack of gear, trust me. Could you make it? YES but not within any short amount of time. I can see the realistic maximum for a BO condition in terms of distance at 10 miles per day, thats 5 days, let alone the 10 it would take for the longer journey.

Personally the situation is unrealistic and would need to be corrected prior to an event.
Yeah, well, it does suck.

I have room at work to keep gear; and I AM going to plan for this, while trying to find something closer.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about a mountain bike strapped to the rig at all times? Faster and could carry more weight(water,etc)and always with you.
That's a good suggestion... And I used to know how to load up a bike.

Once I get the topo map I think it'll be easier - it won't be 95 miles if I don't have to stick to roads.

·
Registered
475 Posts
How about a mountain bike strapped to the rig at all times? Faster and could carry more weight(water,etc)and always with you.
I have recently added a bike rack to my car for this very reason. I picked it up cheap on craigslist and have used it a couple of time already.

·
BEEN HERE TO LONG
1,336 Posts
i think you need gloves and knee pads when you have to crawl.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
If you travel during the cooler hours, water won't be as much of an issue. Suppose you can get part way home, though; you are looking at much less distance than nearly 100 miles.

Part of your plan should be how to keep your gas tank reasonably full, or not below where, if you had to, what's left would at significantly reduce the amount of distance you'd have to travel, like maybe 50% at a minimum.

Re: your whistleblower situation: there is a lot of stress and grief associated with such things, and having been in a similar 'there', my sympathies. Unfortunately, as you have found out the hard way, no good deed goes unpunished. It's no consolation or recompense for your loss, but you did the right thing, even when it cost you; that is real character.

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you travel during the cooler hours, water won't be as much of an issue. Suppose you can get part way home, though; you are looking at much less distance than nearly 100 miles.

Part of your plan should be how to keep your gas tank reasonably full, or not below where, if you had to, what's left would at significantly reduce the amount of distance you'd have to travel, like maybe 50% at a minimum.

Re: your whistleblower situation: there is a lot of stress and grief associated with such things, and having been in a similar 'there', my sympathies. Unfortunately, as you have found out the hard way, no good deed goes unpunished. It's no consolation or recompense for your loss, but you did the right thing, even when it cost you; that is real character.
I do keep the gas tank full; I guess it's electronic disruption that I'm worried about - in case my jeep won't start. If I can drive, I can get home :thumb: It's 4x4 and I know how to drive it.

I knew when I opened my mouth that the s**t that hit the fan was going to be mine.... but you have to sometimes, especially when there are children involved. The new job is really terrific, with a huge raise - the ONLY down part is that it's so far away.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts